BIAB with Blichmann

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn.. I was hoping not to hear that. 14lbs doesn't seem to be that much. If you had a chance again would you get the 15lb Blichmann?

No, not for me. I only do 5 gallon batches and rarely go above 6% ABV so the 10 works great. Plus I don't have much head space so with a blanket wrapped around it I hardly loose any temperature in 60 minutes.
If I want to use more grain, I can just use less that full boil water and top after the mash.

Zacster how big are those beers you are brewing? 9/10lbs doesn't seem like that much.

Not big at all, but there was still plenty of room for more grain. According to Beersmith, you could get 15-16 lbs of grain in there before it would overflow. As I said, you don't need much headroom as you aren't boiling with the grains in there. Anything bigger though and you'll be SOL.

Not big at all, but there was still plenty of room for more grain. According to Beersmith, you could get 15-16 lbs of grain in there before it would overflow. As I said, you don't need much headroom as you aren't boiling with the grains in there. Anything bigger though and you'll be SOL.

I'm guessing thats for the more traditional MLT system.. ie full water volume is not in there. Am I correct in assuming that BIAB takes more room that the traditional MLT would?

I'm thinking go with the 10 gallon know and see how I like BIAB. Perhaps if I can't brew higher gravity beers I could move to a more traditional set up.

I have a 10gal Boilermaker. I have taken the thermometer out and use a turkey fryer basket that fits perfectly on top of the dip tube. Just like Sevens setup in the sticky post. I have a custom made voile bag. I just did a 5 gallon batch stout that took 14lbs of grain. That was max for this setup.

Do you mean this was the max you personally have done with this setup or the max this setup can reasonably do?

I'm guessing you folks do BIAB for the easier cleanup? Most of the posts I see about BIAB are about how cheap it is to get started, but if you're buying a Blichmann kettle that'd seem to cut down on the cost savings.

I'm guessing you folks do BIAB for the easier cleanup? Most of the posts I see about BIAB are about how cheap it is to get started, but if you're buying a Blichmann kettle that'd seem to cut down on the cost savings.

While BIAB offers a cheap entry into all grain brewing, the big value to me is the saved time and labor! I am a firm believer in the keep it simple principle! As far as snagging the bag on the temp. probe, I think one just has to be coherent and push the bag away from the probe while lifting it out of the kettle, rather than hoisting it like the house is on fire:mug:

I haven't done BIAB yet but I am thinking its a good chance to start AG. If it makes sense I wouldn't mind getting into the more traditional HLT/MLT/BK. Now that you mention it that Blichman Top Tier stand looks pretty sweet :cross: Just figured BIAB is the first baby step.

I don't have a Blichmann, but +1 on the 15 gallon. I have a ten gallon pot and the 15 would have prevented some minor spillage on even moderately heavy brews. With 10, you are just too close to the top and need to be very careful when stirring. (I shoot for 6 gallons of wort, 5.5 into the fermenter and 5 into the bottles.)

One pot to clean, and a 5 min sparge even with a lot of wheat, pumpkin, etc

I have done 2 BIAB PMs, waiting for rain to clear up so I can score a blichmann and fire up the banjo burner for full boils. First batch I bumped up the mash water volume and did no sparge. Second batch I did 1.25Qt/LB and sparged by pouring mash temp water through the grains. Do most people do a sparge or mash with the full water volume plus absorption water? Just got a Refractometer so I can say that the pour sparge did little but decrease my OG. Of course, its still gotta be better than adding tap water.

I do a full voulum mash, and when I am feeling lazy don't even bother with mashout temps. IMHO it doesn't effect the OG, and the drain is quick enough that I get the boil going quicker to denature any remaining enzymes.

ok bringing this thread back.. what type of bag do you use? i have the same 15 gallon kettle .. is it a paint strainer bag?

[Re:] using a blichmann for your biab brewing? I'm guessing the thermometer needs to be removed? ... Please share you're equipment (false bottoms?, dip tubes?) .
Thanks

I find the Bichmann Hop Blocker fills the space under the Brewmometer probe, keeping the bag from getting hung up on the probe.

Pictures also shows a bag boil screen (vs. false-bottom*) from a BBQ grill. Nicely, the diameter fit the Blichmann 10 Gal (now G1) lip for their false-bottom. However, the Weber grill was seemingly chrome. Thus, I have since changed that boil screen out to rather an inverted stainless steel canning rack. The slightly smaller size should also fit the G2. All the Better!

(*The Blichmann False Bottom is not recommended as a boil screen.)

boil screen view.jpg

bag in place.jpg

weber 7431.jpg

Stainless Steel Rack.png

Blichman FB warning.jpg

How many of you out there are using a Blichmann for your BIAB brewing? I'm guessing the thermometer needs to be removed? How are the results? How many pounds of grain do you think one could add into the the 10 gallon kettles? Please share you're equipment (false bottoms?, dip tubes?) and experiences.

Thanks
I recently upgraded my brew rig by purchasing a 15 Gallon Blichmann BoilerMaker (G1) and then a Bayou Classic 15 gallon stainless steel basket to better handle the BIAB bag. The basket was easily modified with a Dremel tool to accommodate both the "Brewmometer" and drain tube:

beer bucket.png

Typically a kettle thermometer is only a problem for BIAB, if you make it one!

All one need do is to push the bag clear of the probe when removing the bag, and be cognizant of the fact that it is there. With a little experience, you'll know if the bag is snagged and needs a little help.

Sometimes first timers snag the probe and keep yanking on the bag harder and harder. A BIAB mash should easily float to the surface of the kettle when being removed, if not a simple push with a brew spoon is all that's needed.

Kinda like taking one step with an untied shoelace, it's easy not to trip if you are the least bit aware.

Latest posts

Back