Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB with Blichmann

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
MrSmug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default BIAB with Blichmann

How many of you out there are using a Blichmann for your BIAB brewing? I'm guessing the thermometer needs to be removed? How are the results? How many pounds of grain do you think one could add into the the 10 gallon kettles? Please share you're equipment (false bottoms?, dip tubes?) and experiences.

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've got a 15-Gal Blichmann and only do BIAB. The thermometer is in place and works great for mash temps, and if my wort reaches works for cooling temps. You just have to be careful when pulling the bag up to pull away from it. I usually have more issues with my chiller hitting it than problems with the bag.

I usually wrap a sleeping bag around it during the mash to help hold temps, and have only melted it twice on the burner frame .

Largest batch I have done was 15-lbs for a 6 gallon batch, and still had plenty of room.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #3
MrSmug
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepDiver View Post
I've got a 15-Gal Blichmann and only do BIAB. The thermometer is in place and works great for mash temps, and if my wort reaches works for cooling temps. You just have to be careful when pulling the bag up to pull away from it. I usually have more issues with my chiller hitting it than problems with the bag.

I usually wrap a sleeping bag around it during the mash to help hold temps, and have only melted it twice on the burner frame .

Largest batch I have done was 15-lbs for a 6 gallon batch, and still had plenty of room.
Jeep thanks for the input. I was actually deciding between the 10 or 15 gallon Blichmann. I am currently only doing extract but I want to start BIAB real soon. I was thinking 15 gallons would too excessive for 5 gallon batches but now I'm not too sure especially since I LOVE the bigger brews.. 8+ ABV%. How many gallons to you typically brew and would you recommend the 15 over 10?

Also would you mind sharing the bag you use?

Old 03-27-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
zacster
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

I do my BIAB in a 10gal Blichmann. I don't do huge beers so it isn't a problem at all for me, but I can't say that it would be a problem for a larger beer either. Get the 15 if in doubt. In my eyes the 10 gallon was big enough.

The thermometer probe is OK in place so don't let that worry you unless you have a basket that will go that deep. I just use a paint bag clipped to the sides and it rides around the probe. You just have to be careful pulling the bag out. You also need to be aware of the temp variations that the bag/grain will cause, so stir thoroughly when reading the temp.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I do BIAB in my 15 gallon. I did a few batches with the temp probe in there, but I have since removed it and put in the plug. To be honest I was/am not happy with the performance of the Brewmometer. It is vaguely correct in the mash temperature range, but it seems like every batch it can vary between being dead on the money and up to 10 degrees off. At lower temps (e.g. protein rest) and at higher temps (e.g. mash out) it can be woefully inaccurate. As a consequence I am sticking with my thermapen from now on.

Since I am not using it as a thermometer, I decided there was no point keeping it on the pot and causing minor irritation when I am trying to stir stuff or remove the bag.

Old 03-27-2012, 07:55 PM   #6
MrSmug
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
I do BIAB in my 15 gallon. I did a few batches with the temp probe in there, but I have since removed it and put in the plug. To be honest I was/am not happy with the performance of the Brewmometer. It is vaguely correct in the mash temperature range, but it seems like every batch it can vary between being dead on the money and up to 10 degrees off. At lower temps (e.g. protein rest) and at higher temps (e.g. mash out) it can be woefully inaccurate. As a consequence I am sticking with my thermapen from now on.

Since I am not using it as a thermometer, I decided there was no point keeping it on the pot and causing minor irritation when I am trying to stir stuff or remove the bag.
Typically how many gallons do you brew and was their a reason for you choosing 15 over 10?

Old 03-27-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
MrSmug
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacster View Post
I do my BIAB in a 10gal Blichmann. I don't do huge beers so it isn't a problem at all for me, but I can't say that it would be a problem for a larger beer either. Get the 15 if in doubt. In my eyes the 10 gallon was big enough.

The thermometer probe is OK in place so don't let that worry you unless you have a basket that will go that deep. I just use a paint bag clipped to the sides and it rides around the probe. You just have to be careful pulling the bag out. You also need to be aware of the temp variations that the bag/grain will cause, so stir thoroughly when reading the temp.
How many lb's of grain do you typically use with your 10 gallon Blichmann? How many lb's do you think you can use before you run into a problem?

Old 03-27-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 432 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmug View Post
Typically how many gallons do you brew and was their a reason for you choosing 15 over 10?
I typically do 5-6 gallon batches. I chose the 15 gallon because I sometimes make very big beers, and I also have a cooler MLT that I use to do 10-11 gallon batches with the same pot. I made a 5.5 gallon batch of Belgian quad the other day (BIAB) that wouldn't have fit in a 10 gallon pot.

Regarding batch sizing, I made a calculator that you can play with here:

MLT/BIAB Sizing Calculators

There is also a calculator for sizing batches in a standard MLT setup as well on the same page.

Old 03-27-2012, 08:39 PM   #9
JeepDiver
Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmug View Post
Jeep thanks for the input. I was actually deciding between the 10 or 15 gallon Blichmann. I am currently only doing extract but I want to start BIAB real soon. I was thinking 15 gallons would too excessive for 5 gallon batches but now I'm not too sure especially since I LOVE the bigger brews.. 8+ ABV%. How many gallons to you typically brew and would you recommend the 15 over 10?

Also would you mind sharing the bag you use?
My Wife made the bag from a voile curtain we got at Bed Beth and Beyond. She cut it so the kettle would fit in the bag (Suggestion from one of the aussie sites, and made a hem and pull rope at the top. I've done 10+ batches with it and no sign of wear and tear other than discolured. I usually rinse it out with hot water and soap, and ever 3-4 batches chuck it in the washing machine for some extra cleaning.

The only issue with the 15 gallon kettle is the thermomater is a little low once you get into the boil and chill for a smaller beer. But it works great for the Mash, and when I get it chilled I can use my other them to check it. I would go with the 15 over the 10 all day. The 10 will work, but the extra room is real nice to have on a bigger beer.

I have done one small (4%) 10 gallon batch, and usually end up doing 6 or so gallons, and have done several 8% beers at that size with plenty of room

Old 03-27-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
MrSmug
Recipes 

So it sounds like 15 is a good size for 5/6 gallon batches. Anyone disagree?

Looks like ill need to change my original order

Quick Reply