Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB bag sparge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2010, 07:57 PM   #21
BuzzCraft
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIP View Post
Ok, I am toying with the BIAB idea. Here is my plan, how does it sound?

I only have a 5 gallon kettle. If I get a bag (paint strainer) and attempt the BIAB method, I can only get a few gallons of water in my pot. I am thinking about doing the 3 gallons in the pot on the stove and running it as usual (increase hop numbers to account) and then transfering my bag to the primary bucket with another 3 gallons of water to soak for about 15 minutes. The water in the bucket would be my "top off". Missing anything?
ideally, the water in your bucket would be hot for the sparge, but what you are proposing would indeed work, with the following caveat: i'm assuming you are going to boil this "top off" at some point after rinsing your grains in it....if you're just planning to rinse your grains in it and then add your wort later, there'll be trouble.

fyi, i can mash 8-9# of grain in a 4gallon pot at 1.25 qts/lb...i would think you could do nearly 11# (give or take) in your 5 gallon pot.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2010, 08:21 PM   #22
WIP
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I wasn't planning on boiling after the sparge, what would be the problem? The water will already be at 160+ degrees right?

Marc Moberg
Assistant Winemaker/Cellar Manager
Inwood Estates Vineyards and Winery
1350 Manufacturing St. #209
Dallas, TX 75207

Old 01-15-2010, 08:28 PM   #23
LandofOZ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

ok so now we call it "BIABSPIAB" BREW IN A BAG SPARGE IN A BAG another acronim to add to the list

Land Of OZ, Toto wake up where not at the bar anymore!!!!

Old 01-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #24
LandofOZ
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
I wasn't planning on boiling after the sparge, what would be the problem? The water will already be at 160+ degrees right?
why are you not booling the sparge

Old 01-15-2010, 09:16 PM   #25
BuzzCraft
Recipes 

Quote:
there will be, at the least, a lot of lactobacillus in that wort from the grain (plus whatever's on the bag, etc....it needs to be boiled. that'd be my recommendation.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:28 PM   #26
LandofOZ
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

ok so now we call it "BIABSPIAB" BREW IN A BAG SPARGE IN A BAG another acronim to add to the list
ok so i have been using a modified brew in bag. i brew 5 gallon batches. i came across a 6.5 gallon aluminium fryer pot and a 5 gallon gott coller (round) at sales for $5 each and got a 5 gallon paint strainer bag, the bag fits into the cooler and am able to pull it over the threads. preheat the the cooler and then add 3 gallons mash water to the grains in the bag in the cooler at about 162 stir and i get 150 mash temp droping 2 degrees in 90 minute mash. because the bag is streched over the coller threads the top holds the bag in place and am able to shake the cooler to stir the grains without removing the lid. while masing i heat my 3.5 gallons of sparge water to 180 degrees in the boil pot, when the mash is done i pull the bag and sit it in the a callander over the cooler and squeze the bag and then the bag goes into the sparge water in the pot for 15 minutes. 180 gets me 170 sparge temp. I have my stove down to where to know where to set the dial to maintain 170. after the 15 minute dip sparge i once again put the bag in a coolander over the pot. turn the heat up. squeeze the bag then remove to go in the garden. I add the mash from the cooler. usually do a 60 minute boil. i am usually several ponts over the origianl gravity called out in the recipee and have gotten final gravities 1.010 or lower for recipees that call for brewhouse efficiencies of 75 percent. this is working well for me and have done 7 to 12 pounds of grain, i think 12 would be about max for my 5 gallon cooler.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:29 PM   #27
WIP
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzCraft View Post
there will be, at the least, a lot of lactobacillus in that wort from the grain (plus whatever's on the bag, etc....it needs to be boiled. that'd be my recommendation.
That stuff doesnt die at 160?

Marc Moberg
Dallas, TX 75207

Old 01-16-2010, 02:52 PM   #28
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
That stuff doesnt die at 160?
No.

You need to boil your wort. (Wort constituting of your sparge, first wort runnings... etc)

Not just for killing bacteria, its pretty much all grain brewing 101 from what I understand

Old 01-16-2010, 04:33 PM   #29
WIP
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones17 View Post
No.

You need to boil your wort. (Wort constituting of your sparge, first wort runnings... etc)

Not just for killing bacteria, its pretty much all grain brewing 101 from what I understand
I was curious about this, so I read an article about lactobacillus heat resistance. They werent trying to kill all of the cultures off, they where trying to see how far they could take them. the largest number they gave was 160*f and they killed 50 out of the 60 cultures in 16 minutes. Or at 165*f they killed 25 out of 60 cultures in 15 SECONDS. I would venture to guess, if I got the temp up to 170 and gave the grains a 20 mihute soak, the lactobacillus would be dead.

I probably won't risk it on a full beer, but it would be an interesting experiment for all of my 1 gallon containers.

Marc Moberg
Dallas, TX 75207

Old 01-16-2010, 06:57 PM   #30
jjones17
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
I was curious about this, so I read an article about lactobacillus heat resistance. They werent trying to kill all of the cultures off, they where trying to see how far they could take them. the largest number they gave was 160*f and they killed 50 out of the 60 cultures in 16 minutes. Or at 165*f they killed 25 out of 60 cultures in 15 SECONDS. I would venture to guess, if I got the temp up to 170 and gave the grains a 20 mihute soak, the lactobacillus would be dead.

I probably won't risk it on a full beer, but it would be an interesting experiment for all of my 1 gallon containers.
Well, for the interest of science I wish you luck. However, in the interest of beer I personally do not see how it would benefit. Boiling the wort serves many other purposes, like the 'hot break'. Forgive me if I missed something (happens), though.

Tags
biab, brew in a bag, one pot brewing

Quick Reply