Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB bag sparge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #11
sc1584
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I agree Conpewter, the bag is a great simplification for all-grain brewers regardless of the terminology or how many vessels are used.

If I can hit 78% consistently using the bag sparge in the unmodified cooler, then I can't really justify the time and money (albeit small amounts of both) to buy parts for and assemble a manifold/ball valve in the cooler. The bag keeps it simple from an equipment standpoint and my finished product has me very satisfied, no need to complicate things.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2009, 08:57 PM   #12
LandofOZ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I agree Conpewter, the bag is a great simplification for all-grain brewers regardless of the terminology or how many vessels are used.
I agree also I was going to do just the brew in a bag with my 2.5 gallon batch. and had the 5 gallon gott coler sitting in the closet awaing time and money to make a MLT. is easy to heat up water for small batches on stove top. As i started to heat up my water for the BIAB i was comptemplating how to keep my pot warm for the mash . i have the cooler why not use it then when i was pouring the wter in for the mash it acured to me it would be equally easy to sparge the bag also so kept some of the water out and heated it up in one of the WIFES' pots. For my aplication with small batches and stove top brewwing this was the quickest way to jump to all grain, as i said before my intention was to just do the brew in a bag no sparge. I do not see this working well for large grain bills ECT. ECT. but is a nother way to introduce people to all grain with limited means and resources. The thought of BAG SPARGING would not of even occured to me if were not for all the good , solid input of this forum and its members. This simple method of all grain will allow me to concentrate on improving the other aspects of my brewing, once again thanks to all on this forum.

Land Of OZ, Toto wake up where not at the bar anymore!!!!

Old 08-19-2009, 10:40 AM   #13
tpeterseufl
Recipes 

I am planning on trying the BIAB method with a sparge this weekend. My problem is that I only have one big brew kettle, so I'll be moving the wort around to set up the sparge. I think I have it figured out, but my question is: is it bad if the grains that have been mashed cool down a little while the sparge water is heating up? I know I should just get another big pot, but I'd like to avoid forking it over.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:20 PM   #14
LandofOZ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpeterseufl View Post
I am planning on trying the BIAB method with a sparge this weekend. My problem is that I only have one big brew kettle, so I'll be moving the wort around to set up the sparge. I think I have it figured out, but my question is: is it bad if the grains that have been mashed cool down a little while the sparge water is heating up? I know I should just get another big pot, but I'd like to avoid forking it over.
I am no expert by any means with BAG SPARGE. It is I Process that seemed to fit well with my experiance and equipment, ie Samll 2.5 gallon bathes so far to ge my feet wet.
Having said that How much water are you mashing with and how much water are you sparging with, what made this work for me was i was able to heat up the sparge water in smaller (regular kitchen pots).

if you dont have this option I would think that adjusting the stike temperature of your sparge water to acheive the sparge temperature needed
and Im sure someone will please chime in with proper sparge temperatures to rince the sugers from the grains

Land Of OZ, Toto wake up where not at the bar anymore!!!!

Old 08-19-2009, 01:39 PM   #15
hal2814
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpeterseufl View Post
No, it won't matter. Conversion is over enough by that point that any cooling won't significantly affect your mash. The only thing to worry about is your mash going sour but heating sparge water won't take nearly that long.

If I may make a suggestion, if you're using a plastic bucket for fermentation and that bucket has gallon marks on it, it would make a great place to put your first runnings while sparging. Not only can it hold the runnings and allow you to hang a grain bag above it, but you'll know exactly how much first runnings was collected so you can easily measure out the sparge water and hit your target volume on the nose since your grain isn't really going to soak up enough water to worry about at that point.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:38 PM   #16
magnj
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey that's me in the first post! I have gotten 65-67% on my last three batches using this method. I gained a point from a second sparge last weekend, but that could be anything. I'm thinking the crush from Midwest is a little questionable. Those of you who are getting 70+%, what exactly is your process, where do you get your grains, etc?

Old 08-19-2009, 06:59 PM   #17
MMW
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Brewmaster's warehouse gets my grain business...80% running the grain through his mill twice and using my bag.

Primary:A simple Bock, Vienna

Bottled: Centennial Blonde, Mostly Dead Guy Ale, Pale Rye Ale

On Deck: waiting...

Old 01-14-2010, 02:44 PM   #18
WIP
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Ok, I am toying with the BIAB idea. Here is my plan, how does it sound?

I only have a 5 gallon kettle. If I get a bag (paint strainer) and attempt the BIAB method, I can only get a few gallons of water in my pot. I am thinking about doing the 3 gallons in the pot on the stove and running it as usual (increase hop numbers to account) and then transfering my bag to the primary bucket with another 3 gallons of water to soak for about 15 minutes. The water in the bucket would be my "top off". Missing anything?

Marc Moberg
Assistant Winemaker/Cellar Manager
Inwood Estates Vineyards and Winery
1350 Manufacturing St. #209
Dallas, TX 75207

Old 01-14-2010, 02:52 PM   #19
northernlad
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc1584 View Post
I routinely get 78% efficiency with a 60 minute mash at 154, 10 minute sparge at 170, doughing in with 1.25 quarts/lb of grain.

I usually put 8 gallons through the process for a 10 lb grain bill to yield 5 gallons of wort in the fermenter. I lose about 3 gallons to grain absorption and boil evaporation.
This is how I do it. Easy and has been getting me 70-75% efficiency.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #20
torbanac
Recipes 

I did a 2.5 Gallon BIAB over the weekend with a 5 gallon pot. With 5.75 lbs of grain I was only able to get 3.5 gallons of water in the pot and still get the lid on for the mash step.
Pot wrapped in towels kept the temp right in range for 70 min I opened it every 20 min. to check temp and give it a stir. Beersmith was calcualting 4.1 gallons of water total- that would have never fit. After mash out and draining I was short about a quart in the brew kettle before the boil. Calculated pre-boil volume was 2.86 gallons , I was at 2.5.
I should have done a sparge to get the volume back, as it was I just added water and
OG went from proposed 1.062 to actual 1.055. Next time I'm doing a sparge.

Tags
biab, brew in a bag, one pot brewing

Quick Reply