New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB bag sparge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
LandofOZ
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default BIAB bag sparge

I have started all grain 2.5 gallon BIB batches doing the same thing as below only with my water about split in half for both mash and BAG SPARGE (new term???) both done in the Gott cooler my question is how long do you let the bag sit in your sparge water before you pull it out and let drain, i have a large collander i can just put accros the cooler to put the bag in to let drain. this seems like a vary effective and cheap way to all grain

Quote:
Yea I heat up the mash water in the Boil Kettle and then dump it into the MLT(Cooler) with a huge bag filled with my grains. After a 60-90 minute mash I lift the bag and let it drain back into the MLT, I guess this is my first runnings. Then in the BK I have 170F water waiting to Sparge/Mash out. Usually I mash in the 1.25-1.5 qt/lb range and then do a single sparge to get the rest of my volume.

ATM I'm getting 65% efficiency but I think I can get above 70% with a good crush and a little refinement. It was a super cheap setup that works reasonably well though I will probably be upgrading to a proper MLT cooler conversion in the future.

Mash

Sparge

Boil

Land Of OZ, Toto wake up where not at the bar anymore!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
rocketman768

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandofOZ View Post
I have started all grain 2.5 gallon BIB batches doing the same thing as below only with my water about split in half for both mash and BAG SPARGE (new term???) both done in the Gott cooler my question is how long do you let the bag sit in your sparge water before you pull it out and let drain, i have a large collander i can just put accros the cooler to put the bag in to let drain. this seems like a vary effective and cheap way to all grain
I let it sit for 10-15 minutes.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #3
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I put the bag in the sparge water, stir it, let it sit there for about 15 minutes, then lift the bag, twist it to squeeze out excess water, dump the grain into another container to save for later reuse, rinse out the bag, and reuse it to line my BK for hops and finings additions.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
Fatgodzilla

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The mash converts the sugars in the grain, the sparge removes them. Be the grain. You've been crushed, mashed, your guts have been altered. The first running takes away a percentage of your sugar, but you still got a fair bit left in your guts. Along comes a nice little soak in a hot bath, you release a fair bit more of your sugar. 15minutes sounds good for a soak. Releases a heap of the sugar.

Experiment do it a second sparge and get a SG reading and see what it comes to. If high, your first sparge wasn't good enough. If low (like real low) then your first sparge was a success.

Good brewing

Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.—Mark Twain

Old 08-18-2009, 12:01 PM   #5
conpewter

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 6

You probably don't need to let it soak long, you are rinsing sugar, not doing more conversion. I don't let my sparge water in my traditional setup sit for long.

I do think that the concept of BIAB is a bit misused here though. The idea of BIAB is to have one vessel brewing. You just have one large pot on a burner that allows you to go cheaply to all-grain and have a very portable and easily cleaned setup. Your method is more just using a bag instead of a spigot/braid (or false bottom, or manifold) in a MLT. Which will still require 3 vessels if you are doing a sparge.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 08-18-2009, 01:40 PM   #6
hal2814
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Taking a concept and altering it for your needs is not a necessarily a misuse. I don't know the OP's reasoning, but I mash in a bag in my Igloo. Then I sparge into a bucket (that I later wash and reuse for fermentation). Then I pour it into my kettle (which was used to heat both the mash and sparge water) and brew. Yeah, it's 3 vessels but one is reused immediately and the mash tun is FAR easier to clean out afterwards without bits of grain hanging around in it. I went to a bag from a copper slotted manifold and haven't looked back. It's worth the 3-5% or so drop in efficiency. Maybe adding a sparge to BIAB makes it no longer a valid name the method, but as long as the poster is being clear about the actual process used, I don't think there's a better term out there.

EDIT: Oh, and I almost forgot to answer the question. I stir the heck out of it and then let it sit 10 minutes before draining the sparge.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:50 PM   #7
Drbobcat
Recipes 

I have been doing your exact method for my last 5 all grain batches (5 gallon batches). The key for me to get 75% efficiency was twofold. Number one have your sparge/mashout water hot enough so that when you add the grain bag the temperature equilibriates about 170* (never had a problem with tannins). Secondly I will stir the heck out of the grain for 20 minutes to help release any sugars from the grain. It works well for me and allows me to do 5 gallon batches on the stove top.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:06 PM   #8
sc1584
Recipes 

I routinely get 78% efficiency with a 60 minute mash at 154, 10 minute sparge at 170, doughing in with 1.25 quarts/lb of grain.

I usually put 8 gallons through the process for a 10 lb grain bill to yield 5 gallons of wort in the fermenter. I lose about 3 gallons to grain absorption and boil evaporation.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:11 PM   #9
LandofOZ
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

yes i have been doing small 2.5 gallon bathes and can just put the lid onthe water jug with the bag over the threads to sparge and just slosh it around to stir and remove and drain bag after 20 minutes. This BAG SPARGING is almost as easy as no sparging with smaller bathes I have been dividing my water in half, half for mash half for sparge usually about 3.5 total to boil down to 2.5

Land Of OZ, Toto wake up where not at the bar anymore!!!!

Old 08-18-2009, 07:35 PM   #10
conpewter

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal2814 View Post
Taking a concept and altering it for your needs is not a necessarily a misuse. I don't know the OP's reasoning, but I mash in a bag in my Igloo. Then I sparge into a bucket (that I later wash and reuse for fermentation). Then I pour it into my kettle (which was used to heat both the mash and sparge water) and brew. Yeah, it's 3 vessels but one is reused immediately and the mash tun is FAR easier to clean out afterwards without bits of grain hanging around in it. I went to a bag from a copper slotted manifold and haven't looked back. It's worth the 3-5% or so drop in efficiency. Maybe adding a sparge to BIAB makes it no longer a valid name the method, but as long as the poster is being clear about the actual process used, I don't think there's a better term out there.

EDIT: Oh, and I almost forgot to answer the question. I stir the heck out of it and then let it sit 10 minutes before draining the sparge.

I completely agree that you should take whatever ideas are around and merge them all together, add your own and build your process to suit you. I should not have said the concept is misused, just the terminology. I think of BIAB as a way to simplify all-grain, you all are using a bag as a way to separate wort from grain, just as I do with a braid, and others do with a false bottom etc. Not that either one is better, just different.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

bhfd64 Likes This 

Tags
biab, brew in a bag, one pot brewing

Quick Reply