The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB bag lift suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
william_shakes_beer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 76 Posts

Default BIAB bag lift suggestions

Did my first 10 gallon AG BIAB last week, with a 20 LB (dry) grain bill. Had another pair of hands available, so we managed to wrestle the bag out of the pot and squeeze it gently. However, I often brew myself and would like to do this unaided. So, next time I plan to position my 8' stepladder over the brewpot and mount a pulley across the upper section. Any ideas on how to attach a rope to the bag without concentrating the streess in one spot? My bag is a voile curtain with a 1/2" cotton webbing threaded through the rod pocket for a drawstring. I'd likie to be able to let it hang for a few minutes and allow gravity to squeeze the final malty goodness out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I've been wondering this myself - figuring the bag will rip. So far I have taken the approach of splitting the grain into 2 bags, but this won't help you with this larger batch.

I've wantged to make one of these trays to rest the grains in , but my smaller batches and split grain bill has allowed me to use a large strainer from NB.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I BIAB in a Bajou Classic 11 gallon pot, and have the matching perferated basket. A five gallon paint strainer bag fits snugly around the perferated basket. When my mash/mashout is done, I pull the perferated basket and the grain bag with it. I let it drain for about 30 seconds, then move the basket and grain bag to my old five gallon pot. The lid for my 5 gallon pot fits INSIDE the basket, so I can use that as a PRESS to squeeze the bag into the 5 gallon pot with much more force than I would ever get squeezing it. It also only takes me about 5 minutes to get a good 60-75% of the wort out of the bag, which is about the most you can hope for anyway.

Anyway, with this method, I only have to lift the bag out of my BIAB pot for a few seconds to move it over to my smaller pot. You could use the same method for a 20 lb grain bill.

Even if you just have an extra pot at home, you could probably go to your local kitchen supply and get a real sturdy steamer shelf that fits in your pot along with a smaller lid that fits in your pot and accomplish the same thing I'm doing with my perferated basket. That would probably only cost you about $30-40.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Primary #1 - EMPTY!
Primary #2 - Cherry Wood Smoked Tart Cherry Cider
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown
Keg #1 - Blackberry Berliner Weisse
Keg #2 - Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - Berliner Weisse
Bottled - NONE!

Old 06-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

I have my old 7.5 gallon turkey fryer I use to brew in. I tried to get the matching SS strainer but the only thing I could find was aluminum. Perhaps I'll look and see if there's a larger basket that is SS and will fit inside a 15 gallon boilermaker without bending the dip tube.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 412 Times on 313 Posts
Likes Given: 466

See, this is what I don't get about BIAB...how is building a lift to use to hoist the grain bag easier than building a cooler mash tun?

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 06-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Potato tomato

Old 06-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 19

BIAB does get much more complicated when you start talking about larger grain bills, but it still can't be beat for it's simplicity for up to 15lb or so grain bills. It's one of the shortcomings, for sure, but it doesn't affect you at all if you stick to 5-6 gallon batches, which is most everyone.

Primary #1 - EMPTY!
Primary #2 - Cherry Wood Smoked Tart Cherry Cider
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown
Keg #1 - Blackberry Berliner Weisse
Keg #2 - Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - Berliner Weisse
Bottled - NONE!

Old 06-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #8
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
See, this is what I don't get about BIAB...how is building a lift to use to hoist the grain bag easier than building a cooler mash tun?
I agree that the time to build either is similar but the process on brew day is much simpler. Less vessels, less chances for mistakes/temp loss, etc.

BIAB: Heat water in kettle, dough-in, cover, wait, remove bag, squeeze, boil.

MLT: Heat water in HLT, transfer to MLT, dough-in, cover, wait, vorlauf, repeat, drain, add sparge water, stir, vorlauf, repeat, drain, boil.

Also, I have mad respect for you so don't take my post the wrong way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 06-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #9
wilserbrewer
Vendor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 380 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I close the bag and gather it at the top. I then wrap and tie the bag off w/ a rope, and then loop the rope over a smple hook in the basement cieling...35 lbs grain last batch. I don't use this exact knot...but you get the idea.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mi...-ABOK-1241.jpg

Thinking of using one of these lashing straps for my next batch, tie the bag and use the strap and metal fitting to hoist....the strap wont back off and the bag will hang and drain without holding the business end of a rope...definately doing this, mental note!
http://www.harborfreight.com/set-of-...aps-67386.html

Expert tailor and supplier of custom sized, top quality BIAB bags, hop bags and ratchet pulleys at reasonable pricing

http://biabbags.webs.com/

CORONA MILL BUCKET SYSTEM V. 2.0

Old 06-11-2012, 05:23 PM   #10
signmastr
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I use a short piece of rope tied in a loop. Slip it around the top of my gathered "wilser" bag and hoist with a truck tie-down...

Quick Reply