LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2011, 07:42 AM   #1
SDCore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Default Biab

I have a 30L kettle which comes out to about 8 Gallons. I was hoping to go All Grain soon and hoped that this pot would be big enough to use for a BIAB setup. I really need some advice or a link or something to get this setup going. I have done 3 extracts and really into home brewing now and i was hoping to make the switch to All Grain soon.

San Diego Home Brewer

Give a man a beer, he'll drink for the day.Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk the rest of his life. -- Anonymous

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2011, 09:44 AM   #2
rdharris55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Start with this handy dandy water volume calculator...then you may feel the need to keep an eye out for a bigger pot. I use a 60q Bayou Classic...which came with a wonderful strainer basket. The basket eliminates the worries that some have about the bag burning on the bottom of the pot or breaking open when lifting the grain out. Good luck.
http://beerreviewdude.com/biab-calculator/

Old 07-29-2011, 10:31 AM   #3
seabass07
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 70

That's the same size I use. I can mash up to 19 lbs of grain at a 1.2 ratio. Then I just pour my sparge water over my grains. You will need to figure out how you will drain the bag. Holding it over the pot for 15 minutes is not an option! A colander that fits over the top of the kettle is a good option depending on how wide your pot is.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:13 PM   #4
Supergus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You should be fine with that kettle, I have the same size and can easily do 10ish pounds of grain w/o sparging. Last weekend I had to sparge for the first time, 13#. I still ended up w/ a 69% efficiency sparging w/ 80ish degree water!
Like the poster above said, just make sure you can support the bag of wet grains, I use a hook/pulley to support the bag and squeeze the wholly he'll out of it. So far I have brewed a Blonde and a Kolsch and the blonde turned out great and the Kolsch is happily fermenting away.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 443 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 8

As said above, in order to reach your volume you will need to sparge. This can be done by pouring water through the bag as it is above the pot with the bag sitting on a strainer...or by dunking the bag in another pot, cooler or bucket of sparge water, and then combining the wort back into the kettle.

Quick Reply