New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB - 10 Gallon Batch in a Keggle??




Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2010, 04:50 PM   #21
ScubaSteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScubaSteve's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Bern, NC
Posts: 3,669
Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

How 'bout a very large (~diameter of keggle, but still able to insert/remove) ss screen-lined stock pot basket with handle? Haul it up with a crank, etc. and you're good to go. Sparge over the top if you want to.....



ScubaSteve is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2010, 05:05 PM   #22
alcibiades
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Stafford, Virginia
Posts: 729
Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
How 'bout a very large (~diameter of keggle, but still able to insert/remove) ss screen-lined stock pot basket with handle? Haul it up with a crank, etc. and you're good to go. Sparge over the top if you want to.....

this would make it easier to sparge, and would solve the bag rip problem, but it kinda defeats the cost savings that go into BIAB....


__________________
alcibiades is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2010, 05:06 PM   #23
alcibiades
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Stafford, Virginia
Posts: 729
Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
why not just use 2 or 3 bags?


Thats actually a way better idea....

i hate when a simple answer is sitting right in front of me after i spend so much time thinking about the problem... thanks though!!!!
__________________
alcibiades is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #24
ScubaSteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScubaSteve's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Bern, NC
Posts: 3,669
Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcibiades View Post
this would make it easier to sparge, and would solve the bag rip problem, but it kinda defeats the cost savings that go into BIAB....
Sure, but time is also a pretty huge commodity and I think it's way easier to just dump a screen lined basket out than to mess with grain getting stuck in the crevices of a keggle (if you use one).

The basket would also double as your "hop bag" for the boil, and will save you time and effort on the back end as well. A lot of people spend a lot of money keeping hops out of their fermenters and chillers. Utilization shouldn't suffer like it does in a nylon bag because the internal area of the basket would contain most of the wort in the kettle.
ScubaSteve is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #25
alcibiades
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Stafford, Virginia
Posts: 729
Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Sure, but time is also a pretty huge commodity and I think it's way easier to just dump a screen lined basket out than to mess with grain getting stuck in the crevices of a keggle (if you use one).

The basket would also double as your "hop bag" for the boil, and will save you time and effort on the back end as well. A lot of people spend a lot of money keeping hops out of their fermenters and chillers. Utilization shouldn't suffer like it does in a nylon bag because the internal area of the basket would contain most of the wort in the kettle.

hmmm, what kind of stock pot? Like the "holed" ones that people use for inserting in a turkey fryer?
__________________
alcibiades is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2010, 06:47 PM   #26
ScubaSteve
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScubaSteve's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: New Bern, NC
Posts: 3,669
Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Exactly. Some people call them steamer baskets....it's basically like a whole 'nother stockpot but with 1" diameter holes even spaced on the sides and bottom. It has a handle that could be used to haul the grain right out. I'd like to get a SS one because I think an aluminum handle might bend.

ScubaSteve is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2010, 07:14 PM   #27
alcibiades
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Stafford, Virginia
Posts: 729
Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Exactly. Some people call them steamer baskets....it's basically like a whole 'nother stockpot but with 1" diameter holes even spaced on the sides and bottom. It has a handle that could be used to haul the grain right out. I'd like to get a SS one because I think an aluminum handle might bend.


that might work perfectly. My keggle is cut to fit a turkey fryer lid, so im assuming that steamer basked would slip right in.
__________________
alcibiades is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2011, 02:12 AM   #28
Bucks-04
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: DC
Posts: 167
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

This is a old post but I have question.

I'm looking into doing a parigyle and came across this. I have a keggle and I saw that a 10 gal batch was done. What was the recipe? How did it turn out?

__________________
Bucks-04 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2011, 12:28 AM   #29
AnchorBock
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 561
Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Default

My efficiency was terrible doing 10 gallons in a 15 gallon kettle. I think not doing a sparge and also not doing a full volume mash made it suffer. I have now bought a 20 gallon kettle with basket off ebay. The bag took two of us to lift and i didnt enjoy putting that much strain on the bag so the basket will be nice, i think having a full volume mash will help get my efficiency where it normally is.

__________________

Homebrewing blog: http://bagendbrewery.wordpress.com

Beer Engine Caskegerator - Hand pump/keg enclosure for Real Ale at home.

AnchorBock is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2011, 01:54 PM   #30
paraordnance
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 861
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaSteve View Post
Exactly. Some people call them steamer baskets....it's basically like a whole 'nother stockpot but with 1" diameter holes even spaced on the sides and bottom. It has a handle that could be used to haul the grain right out. I'd like to get a SS one because I think an aluminum handle might bend.
my steamer basket from 40 qt lobster/crab combo barely fits in keggle opening and it will only hold 15 lbs of grain max. There is no way you can fit 23 lbs in it. I do use it perfectly with 5 gal batches though. Works great with 10-13 lbs of grain.


__________________
paraordnance is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
10 gallon brew in a bag (10 gal BIAB) Cistercian All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 5 04-07-2010 03:47 AM
For Sale - WTB: 15.5 gallon Keg or Keggle shoebag22 For Sale 12 11-19-2009 04:24 AM
Minimum burner BTU - 10 gallon batches in 15.5 gallon keggle schneemann Equipment/Sanitation 21 10-27-2009 04:01 PM
Can I use a 5 gallon glass carboy as a primary for a 2.5 gallon batch bgough All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 3 03-24-2009 05:41 PM
5 gallon batch + 5 gallon primary fermenter = good noisy123 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 07-30-2008 11:45 AM