Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB - 10 Gallon Batch in a Keggle??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2009, 05:44 PM   #11
bakins
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
So, you CAN do this if you do some sort of a sparge after you pull the grain bag out, or top off the BK prior to the boil.
FWIW, I'm moving to 10 gallon batches with BIAB. I have a 15gallon pot. I'm gonna do partial mashes -- mostly grain, with some DME. I get DME cheap in bulk and it tastes fine. I should be able to make a 1.055 beer with 15 lbs of grain and 5 lbs of DME, for example.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2009, 05:46 PM   #12
johnnyc
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Yeah I'm looking at a sky hook or come along or something to hold the bag up too. This guy http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/for...pic.php?t=4650 Got it right on opening the keg all the way up. Couldn't have been easy but its definitely more open.

I would agree w/ top off pre boil or maybe sparge the bag.

Kegged: Hoppy Amber, ESB, Weizenbock, Breakfast Stout, IPA

Fermenting: Yooper's Oktoberfest

Old 12-04-2009, 09:05 PM   #13
alcibiades
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

The small cutout at the top of the keggle, and the weight of the bag is a problem.

One idea I've been bouncing around is to use a colander with a handle to little by little scoop out the grain, letting it drip dry back into the keggle, and discarding. I could even do this as the keggle is warming up for the boil.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:36 PM   #14
Daddymem
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I just did a modified partigyle with my brew group. I did a BIAB tripel (first "runnings") and dubbel (second "runnings"). I'm not a big guy and I did fine with 24 pounds of grains. I held it over the pot while twisting the bag tight until it was mostly done draining. Then I put the whole thing in a rubbermaid bin. I had 8.8 gallons of water to start. We then sparged with 4 gallons of water right in the rubbermaid bin. The water poured in over the grains, I swished it around a little bit then lifted it and twisted the bag again. That wort went into a second kettle. Then I used a lid to squeeze the bag against the side of the bin and got out as much wort as I could. So your scenario is possible (ignoring any possible issues with the smaller hole in the top of your keggle). Max out your water in the kettle, use the remaining required water to mash out in another vessel.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:43 AM   #15
JalaPeno
Recipes 

http://www.roperatchet.com/250ratchet.shtml

A lesson from my old man "Work Smarter, Not Harder"

I picked up the 1/4" roperatchet pulley system in the camping section of Academy Sports for less than $10. It makes it easy for that BIAB to drain 10-15 minutes and is rated for 150 lbs.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:36 AM   #16
alcibiades
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts

update:

I successfully BIABed 25 pounds of grain in my keggle with the smaller diameter top. I got 75% efficiency, which is better than I expected.

I mashed in with a bit over 10 gallons of water, and I had PLENTY of space in the keggle for more grain.

I couldnt lift the bag with all that grain out of the smaller diameter keggle hole, so I had to use a scoop to take out half the grain little by little and put into my sparge vessel (a 6.5 gallon bucket with another nylong grain bag lined into it). I "sparged" twice with a couple gallons of water while my initial runnings were getting to a boil. Honestly, I felt comfortable enough, and I'll try an even bigger beer next time, maybe 28-30 pounds or so. Ive gone 10 gallons and I can't turn back...

Old 01-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #17
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Good on ya, push the envelope.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 01-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #18
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JalaPeno View Post
Just bought one and hope to rig it up today - it will be ghetto fabulous

No sparge, no chill, no MLT, no HLT, no propane, no worries...

Old 01-16-2010, 12:24 AM   #19
LandofOZ
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

if you can use a double pully system, or more, to reduce your pull ( I would tink most sporting goods stores 'CHAINS" have the pully systen they use fore deer (is were i got mine for hunting). I have not tried that much grain yet but have considered using my deer pully sustem to lift thet much grain, not in the house (unless you like a hook in you sealing) but would be easy in a guarage or with an A frame outside

Land Of OZ, Toto wake up where not at the bar anymore!!!!

Old 01-16-2010, 01:21 AM   #20
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3693 Times on 2275 Posts
Likes Given: 3198

why not just use 2 or 3 bags?

Quick Reply