Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Beware AG brewing and drinking - Memorial Day

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2008, 04:37 AM   #31
Benny Blanco
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

I'm sure most people don't get smashed while brewing as that wouldn't be the best practice. Well..if you are on point and don't make mistakes when you are hammered, then so be it.

I usually have around 3 during the course of my brew day and I NEVER change the recipe on brew day if I end up having a "great" idea. Unless I miss my target OG with my mash in which case I make minor adjustments.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2008, 05:09 AM   #32
G-E-R-M-A-N
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

LOL I had 1 beer while doing my first batch, and still screwed up parts of it. Cheers!

Old 05-28-2008, 07:40 AM   #33
joejaz

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I think part of our problem was that we started a 9 AM and it was already hot out. Next time maybe a 7 AM start. And we didn't eat anything ( except a bag of chips) till the afternoon when we had a barbecue. Maybe we should have a designated brewer that can't drink till the yeast is pitched.

Joe

"Life is too short to drink cheap beer."

Old 05-28-2008, 10:24 AM   #34
budbo
Beer is good
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

My Rule of thumb is Never drink the first beer prior to starting the sparge or 11AM whichever comes second (I never brew in the evening)

Old 05-28-2008, 12:19 PM   #35
janzik

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 17

The more I think about it, the less I'd like to blame the "problems" we ran into on the drinking and more on the lack of being prepared. While the drinking didn't leave us as sharp minded as we could've been, it was my responsibility to have the numbers ready (boil size, strike, sparge water etc) and I was going back and forth between the back yard and the computer for the recipe and the instructional links. If I was better organized I think it would've went smoother, I don't blame the beer consumption. The only real thing we did wrong was dropped the grains in before letting the strike water cool down. Technically we followed the recipe, but looking back I believe there was too much boil volume requested because it was a longer boil. (I actually think the recipe was entered wrong by whoever I got it from on the BTP web site).

For the next batch, we'll at least hold off drinking until 11, but we definitely need to be heating up water by 8am.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:00 PM   #36
jagg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWort View Post
No beer till flame out. It's the smart thing to do when dealing with 13 gallons of scalding boiling wort, propane, multiple flame sources, etc.

It also has the added benefit of still being of sound mind & judgment at yeast pitching time which is less than an hour after flame out.
That is very sound advice, and the way my brew day goes

Old 05-28-2008, 05:51 PM   #37
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1009 Times on 675 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Daddy View Post
My friends say I take the homebrew thig too seriously, employing my various gadgets, measuring devices and etc... Maybe they are right!
Screw that. He who brews with the most gadgets wins. Wins what you say? Certified EAC schwag.
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 05-28-2008, 06:05 PM   #38
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
Screw that. He who brews with the most gadgets wins.
cheers to that one bro

Old 05-28-2008, 07:37 PM   #39
Turkeyfoot Jr.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

+1 to holding off on consumption till after production.

For me it comes down to two related issues. One, my gear is stored either in the basement or in the garage and I brew outside so setup and tear down take up a lot of my brewday. Two, having a homebrew or two gets me nice and relaxed, which is a good thing, except when I have a ton of stairs to run and gear to haul. I'd prefer to wait till everything's done and then sit back and truly enjoy my homebrew.

Plus, I like to get up early on Saturday and brew and first thing in the morning the "brew" I'm interested in is not made with barley.

Primary: EMPTY!
Bottled:
Kegged: Turkeyfoot English Mild

Quick Reply