Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Best temp for protein rest/chill haze?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #21
spark_plug
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewingGunner View Post
I know you said you didn't want to add anything else, but gelatin does wonders. If you cant bring yourself to use gelatin, let the beer cold condition, after you have bottled and carbonated it, for 2-3 weeks. It will clear up.
+1 What he said! Gelatin is cheap, and works beyond awesome! That is if you have a place to cold crash. 3 days of gelatin and you will have clear beer, a week and it will be like looking through a window.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #22
Glynn
Brewing 20 yrs & still a noob
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 119 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwapogorilla View Post
Okay, I'll skip the 5.2 stabilizer.
I don't want to admit it but sadly 5.2 stabilizer works for me. I've be hitting 83 mash eff for mths now with it, so i thought i would try a batch with out it and hit a 76% eff

Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson
Duct tape. The handyman's secret weapon - Red Green

Naughty Kitty Brewing EST 1993
Primary 1 - hoppy red ale
Primary 2 -
Primary 3 -
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 -
Bottled - Nogginfogger DIPA, Sumpin Close IPA, Citra IPA

Old 09-04-2013, 10:44 AM   #23
gwapogorilla
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Well, I just another of my "high plains Pale ales"(my SVPA clone) without any 5.2 and I also added a protein rest. Rest was at 128* for 20 minutes.
Just with those 2 changes alone, the wort "acted" different.

The boil had a BUNCH of hot break material, I was starting to wonder is it was ever going to subside back into the brew or not. Finally, it did.
Then, as the boil kept on...I could see break material swirling around in my kettle. I had never gotten this before.
I use whirlfloc in my brews, so when I chilled the wort, all of the break went straight to the bottom...which is good.
Now, in my fermentor...I am growing something. Something I can't see yet as the krausen hasn't settled yet. It looks like the trub material all clumped together and is FLOATING rather than sinking.
I have seen pictures like this before, so I am not too concerned.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #24
makokiller
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewingGunner View Post
I know you said you didn't want to add anything else, but gelatin does wonders. If you cant bring yourself to use gelatin, let the beer cold condition, after you have bottled and carbonated it, for 2-3 weeks. It will clear up.
I 2nd this. Gelatin is the answer to all of your problems. Just add to keg and in just a few days, bye bye haze.

Quick Reply