Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Best temp for protein rest/chill haze?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #11
dyqik
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Where are you and where's your water from? There's a chance someone already has enough information about your water for a simple adjustment.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #12
StoneHands
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I'd skip the 5.2 "stabilizer" and ... make one batch with all RO water with a teaspoon of calcium chloride, ....
This is the best advice. It's cheap, the 5.2 may or may not be doing anything anyway. I realize a protein rest is practically free, but I think this is your best bet. It'll improve your beer even if it doesn't fully fix the chill haze issue (which I bet it will).

Also, if you're on a public water system (not a well), you should be able to get most or all of the data from your municipality.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:04 PM   #13
gwapogorilla
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands View Post
This is the best advice. It's cheap, the 5.2 may or may not be doing anything anyway. I realize a protein rest is practically free, but I think this is your best bet. It'll improve your beer even if it doesn't fully fix the chill haze issue (which I bet it will).

Also, if you're on a public water system (not a well), you should be able to get most or all of the data from your municipality.

Okay, I'll skip the 5.2 stabilizer. Just what do you mean by R.O. water anyway? I use municipal water, but they have little to NO information on the ion counts. All they could give me was the ph(which is 7.4) and the sodium count...92ppm. That's it. Welcome to small town Iowa.

I'll check the LHBS for ph strips and such. When you check the mash ph, do you need to wait a while before you check it?

Old 08-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #14
BrewingGunner
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I know you said you didn't want to add anything else, but gelatin does wonders. If you cant bring yourself to use gelatin, let the beer cold condition, after you have bottled and carbonated it, for 2-3 weeks. It will clear up.

Primary: Mosaic IPA
Secondary: Calypso Pale Ale
Keg 1: MT :(
Keg 2: Thunderdome Red

My Brewstand Build

Old 08-15-2013, 09:27 PM   #15
StoneHands
Recipes 

R.O. water is reverse osmosis water. Distilled water is essentially the same. If you buy it from the grocery store, make sure it says "distilled" and not "drinking" or "spring" or anything else, needs to say "distilled".

I'll add, I'm told the pH strips are essentially useless since they're difficult to read and not consistent. I would save your money on strips, follow the water primer with distilled water, acid malt, calcium chloride, etc. and see where that gets you. For my purposes (like you, still a hobby), the water primer gets me close enough and I get very good results. When I want to take it to the next level, I'll buy a meter and skip the strips.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #16
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwapogorilla
I use municipal water, but they have little to NO information on the ion counts. All they could give me was the ph(which is 7.4) and the sodium count...92ppm. That's it. Welcome to small town Iowa.
I don't know this for sure, but the water department probably has a more complete report - try going I'm person and asking for a full report, one that includes secondary mineral analysis. My town's standard water report only includes things that are a safety concern, but they gave me a complete printout with the info I needed when I asked for it. You'll want to know Ca, Mg, Na (which you already have), Cl, SO4 and some form of water hardness (total alkalinity or alkalinity as CaCO3...or something like that...I always forget the details on this one).

Not sure if ALL towns have this info, but yours might. Worth a shot.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:42 PM   #17
StoneHands
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
All municipal water treatment facilities have to have this information, because they have to test the water by law to make sure it's safe. It may be just a matter of finding the right person to ask.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:13 AM   #18
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneHands

All municipal water treatment facilities have to have this information, because they have to test the water by law to make sure it's safe. It may be just a matter of finding the right person to ask.
That's what I thought, but wasn't certain. Though are all the ions relevant to brewing considered municipal safety concerns?

My Beer Cellar

Old 08-16-2013, 05:57 AM   #19
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 144

+1 on high hop rates.
Besides what has been mentioned, if your water is low in calcium flocculation might be inhibited, adding a little calcium chloride or gypsum might be worth a shot if there is no other information available or other things don't work.

Old 08-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #20
gwapogorilla
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem View Post
I don't know this for sure, but the water department probably has a more complete report - try going I'm person and asking for a full report, one that includes secondary mineral analysis. My town's standard water report only includes things that are a safety concern, but they gave me a complete printout with the info I needed when I asked for it. You'll want to know Ca, Mg, Na (which you already have), Cl, SO4 and some form of water hardness (total alkalinity or alkalinity as CaCO3...or something like that...I always forget the details on this one).

I saw the report. It does have radon, lead and stuff of that nature....but as far as what Ward labs looks for, just sodium is all. And they only do it once every 3 years as required by law.

Quick Reply