Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Best SMaSH recipe you've made???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2013, 01:10 AM   #121
seatbelt123
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I made two "nearly" smash beers that came out great. 1.060 target, 2 row with 10% wheat. I made 5 gallons of the wort and then split the boil between cascade and centennial (whole leaf). Heavily late hoped, about 60 ibus. Grain to glass in a week. Best after two weeks. Seriously, simplest beer I ever made and it was SOO good. Neighbors loved it too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 04:09 AM   #122
DoubleRainbow
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Vienna/Amarillo with WLP 001.

Old 04-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #123
abrix
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Pilsner/Sterling Helles with WLP830. A classic.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #124
YeastHerder
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I made some 1-gallon SMaSHs plus a bunch of cheaters that included various % of a single specialty grain (SMaSH+1 or DMaSH) in the mash. My favorites so far have been Maris Otter + Saaz, Maris Otter + East Kent Goldings, and Munich + East Kent Goldings. MO+Cascade and MO+Northern Brewer are going right now. I didn't like MO+Styrian Goldings much, tasted a bit like fresh lawn clippings, gave new meaning to the phrase "lawnmower beer."

Because I prefer my beers in the lower end of the APA style range (<0.6IBU/OG) I picked up an American Weigh AC Pro 200 Digital Pocket Scale for about $15 from Amazon so I could accurately weigh out the hops. The units are in grams, so hop additions range from 6g (0.21oz) to 1.5g (0.05oz) depending on the %AA of the hop.

Old 04-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #125
Snisup
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 36 Posts

The only SMaSH I've made was a MO/Northern Brewer and it is fantastic! I even dry hopped it with an ounce. It's like a British Pale/IPA.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #126
Rdom
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeastHerder View Post
I made some 1-gallon SMaSHs plus a bunch of cheaters that included various % of a single specialty grain (SMaSH+1 or DMaSH) in the mash. My favorites so far have been Maris Otter + Saaz, Maris Otter + East Kent Goldings, and Munich + East Kent Goldings. MO+Cascade and MO+Northern Brewer are going right now. I didn't like MO+Styrian Goldings much, tasted a bit like fresh lawn clippings, gave new meaning to the phrase "lawnmower beer."

Because I prefer my beers in the lower end of the APA style range (<0.6IBU/OG) I picked up an American Weigh AC Pro 200 Digital Pocket Scale for about $15 from Amazon so I could accurately weigh out the hops. The units are in grams, so hop additions range from 6g (0.21oz) to 1.5g (0.05oz) depending on the %AA of the hop.
I'm glad you said that about the MO + Styrian Holdings. I did the same thing and fermented with London ESB. Got a really strong, not very pleasant, herbal/grassy flavor and aroma. The Styrians were a little old so I attributed it to that & tossed the last couple ounces of them I had thinking they were just bad. Now I know!

Old 04-13-2013, 04:53 PM   #127
YeastHerder
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdom View Post
The Styrians were a little old so I attributed it to that & tossed the last couple ounces of them I had thinking they were just bad. Now I know!
My SG hops were fresh. I even made it a second time shifting the addition times around and still didn't like it. I had previously used it in an irish red with lots of crystal malt and I'm guessing all the caramel/sweetness masks the grassy flavor. I'll be using EKG in irish reds from now on though.

I have some Fuggles in the freezer, but I'm not really looking forward to using it considering how the SG turned out.

Old 04-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #128
Dave37
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 382 Times on 259 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I made a maris otter galaxy SMaSH as my first brew after i got my propane burner. Didnt realize how much boil off you get on one of them and ended up with 3.5 gallons of an 8% ABV pale ale instead of 5.5 gallons of a 5.5-6%er. Still came out well. Very smooth for an 8% beer with alot of aroma. Only critique would be i shouldve mashed at a higher temp to get a little more body going on.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #129
Mark_
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default 2-row SMaSH with Cascade

This was my first brew day ever. I went with 2-row and Cascade for an all grain 2.5 gallon batch. I just cracked it the other day, per another thread I started, and it came out WONDERFULLY.

It was however my first batch so I can't compare to anything. I can however, with 100% honesty, say that this is currently the best beer I have ever brewed! Hahahahah

We will see if it is beaten out by any of the others I have aging

Old 05-24-2013, 03:52 AM   #130
LabRatBrewer
Lost in a Maze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 783 Times on 543 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_ View Post
This was my first brew day ever. I went with 2-row and Cascade for an all grain 2.5 gallon batch. I just cracked it the other day, per another thread I started, and it came out WONDERFULLY.

It was however my first batch so I can't compare to anything. I can however, with 100% honesty, say that this is currently the best beer I have ever brewed! Hahahahah

We will see if it is beaten out by any of the others I have aging
Simple grain bills with Cascade always equals greatness.

Quick Reply