Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Best SMaSH recipe you've made???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2013, 12:36 AM   #111
TANSTAAFB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire2016 View Post
I've been doing 1 gallon smashes to experiment and this turned out pretty tasty:

Sand Otter IPA
2.5 lbs Maris Otter
6g Mosaic - 60
6g Mosaic - 30
6g Mosaic - 15
8g Mosaic - fo
(Yes, I just mixed US and metric; I went there.)

This beer was my first brewing with Mosaic and it was phenomenal. I brewed it again but mixed in a bit of Dark Munich and it was pure awesome.
You went with Drew Beechum's "Brewing on the Ones"...one malt, one hop, one yeast, and one surprise! Simple, elegant, delicious. Prost!
Bottled: Grizzly Saison, Grizzly Brett, Session Pale, Colorado Cream Ale, Cranberry Apfelwein
Primary: -37* Blue Balls Baltic Porter, Bad Dog Brown, Bohemian Pilsner
Secondary: Rarely!!!
Future: Cognitive Dissonance Cascadian Dark Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #112
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

"Best SMaSH recipe you've made???"

Relative to my other beers with more complexity and layers of flavor/aroma, the SMaSH beers are all wayyyyy less desirable. SMaSH is a good process to follow if you want to learn about hops and malts, but not so much if you want to create the best beer you've ever made. Simple is great... but up to a point.

Old 03-16-2013, 01:16 AM   #113
bstacy1974
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post

Relative to my other beers with more complexity and layers of flavor/aroma, the SMaSH beers are all wayyyyy less desirable. SMaSH is a good process to follow if you want to learn about hops and malts, but not so much if you want to create the best beer you've ever made. Simple is great... but up to a point.
Isn't a pilsner essential a smash? You may not "desire" a smash but it seems there are others here that love'em. Desirability is a personal preference. Brew it, drink it, then decide if you like it. Simplicity has a beauty all its own. Complexity may be just that, complex and confusing.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:52 AM   #114
urbanmyth
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstacy1974 View Post
Isn't a pilsner essential a smash? You may not "desire" a smash but it seems there are others here that love'em. Desirability is a personal preference. Brew it, drink it, then decide if you like it. Simplicity has a beauty all its own. Complexity may be just that, complex and confusing.
I'm right there with you these days. I was on a bit of an American and Belgian kick for a while, but I bought a four pack of Bitburger in cans the other week and LOVED it. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed the malt side of things that much in a while. Just makes me want something with a touch breadier finish.

Any suggestions?

Sheldon: If its a brew day, its a good day

raptorvan: it makes the beer so silky smooth its like drinking a glass of giggling angels.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #115
dhammers91
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz4121
Made a delicious brew with just 2-row and summit hops. Turned out extremely bright, full of tangerine flavor and aroma. One of my best beers to date, hands down. Keg only last a few hours with friends over.

Sometimes simple is the best policy.
What recipe did you use?

Old 03-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #116
Greels
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrews View Post

Why would you even come into this thread to write that?

Based on a couple recommendations in this thread as well as others, I am currently brewing a Maris Otter/Citra SMaSH, and it's my first brew! Never had a SMaSH before, but I can't wait to try it!
Old 03-17-2013, 12:52 AM   #117
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greels

Why would you even come into this thread to write that?

Based on a couple recommendations in this thread as well as others, I am currently brewing a Maris Otter/Citra SMaSH, and it's my first brew! Never had a SMaSH before, but I can't wait to try it!
Would love to hear your impressions when you finally taste it. I have been brewing for some time but my first smash is mo/citra. Just hit week 2 in the primary. Plan to dry hop tomorrow.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:39 AM   #118
Greels
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by winvarin View Post
Would love to hear your impressions when you finally taste it. I have been brewing for some time but my first smash is mo/citra. Just hit week 2 in the primary. Plan to dry hop tomorrow.
Nice! What was your hop schedule like?

Old 03-17-2013, 03:02 AM   #119
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greels

Nice! What was your hop schedule like?
10 gallon batch with 1.060 OG. All citra was leaf and 16% AA. 1 ounce each at 50 min, 20 min, 10 min and an ounce at knockout. Took the beer to 165f and whirlpooled for 15 min before chilling the rest of the way (was playing with my new toy ... It was my first whirlpool with my new pump set up). Calculated it at around 45ish IBU.

I have another ounce of citra. I am planning on .5 ounce in each carboy tomorrow for 5 days before kegging.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #120
MedBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I bottled my first smash last week. Its 2 row and cascade,tasting a small sample
While bottling it tasted a little musky,I did cold crash it 5 days and its pretty clear.

Quick Reply