Best place to buy bulk grain from

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ILOVEBEER

Reaction score
I am in SoCal. I frequent morebeer in Riverside, but am just getting into AG.

Thanks

People from all over the country like MoreBeer's selection and prices , that and their service is some of the best in the business. I'd start with those guys.

There seems to be a pretty unanimous consensus on this site that Brewmasterswarehouse.com has a great selection, excellent customer service, and the best grain crush (if you're not milling your own) out there. I've ordered from them a few times, and have had nothing but great experiences. They have a very competitive flat-rate shipping quote as well.

This is a loaded question.

The best place? Best Price? Country Malt Group.

$.50/lb - $.65/lb

I love em.

This is a loaded question.

The best place? Best Price? Country Malt Group.

$.50/lb - $.65/lb

I love em.

Wouldn't you really need to do a group buy or something to split shipping, otherwise it's not really any better than the LHBS. Isn't shipping like $25?

Wouldn't you really need to do a group buy or something to split shipping, otherwise it's not really any better than the LHBS. Isn't shipping like $25?

This my friend is why it is a loaded question. This issue has been beat to death on here. Country Malt Group has the best pricing, they do... of course it depends on how you plan to buy the malt.

I can drive there, but have organized other group buys. They arent too hard, and when you buy once a year, they are def. worth the effort. Not to mention, by organizing a group buy you are helping other fellow brewers save $$ as well.

My next bag of bulk grain will be from my LHBS. It is only a 4 dollar difference in price.

My next bag of bulk grain will be from my LHBS. It is only a 4 dollar difference in price.

You are lucky my friend. Our LHBS charges $70 for 50 pounds of Pilsner, I can get it for $36 for 55 pounds at Midcountry. Rediculous.

The Pol My last 55 lbs of 2 row Pale Ale was $63 at my door. Talked to my LHBS and they will sell it to me for $67. They are a cool LHBS good family owned store and very helpful!!! They have doing it for 16 years.

As cheap as you are getting it you must live close enough to pick it up. For your price I can't blame you for not buying from LHBS.

Yeah, I can drive to pick it up... and sell it out of my garage to my buddies in Indy.

My LHBS is pretty nutty on thier prices.

Yeah we have one of those here to. I try not to use them unless it is a last ditch thing.

I do a bulk grin buy 2x a year at least but at the LHBS #55 of 2 row in Denver is $45 and MO, Pils..etc is $65. Not awesome prices but not crappy either.

Wow, my LHBS is pretty cheap, looking at the prices you guys are paying!

Imported BestMalz Pils: $49.50
Imported Castle Pils: $54.45
Great Western Pils: $37.50 (55lbs)
GW 2-Row: $33.00 (!)

Wow, my LHBS is pretty cheap, looking at the prices you guys are paying!

Imported BestMalz Pils: $49.50
Imported Castle Pils: $54.45
Great Western Pils: $37.50 (55lbs)
GW 2-Row: $33.00 (!)

That is pretty great for a LHBS.

With the Country Malting Group you're looking at $25-27 for 2-row, and 35-38 for pretty much anything else (MO, Best Malz Pils, even caramel malts if you want a 55lb bag of em)

It should be stated that Country Malt Group prices are for very high quality malts too. Our LHBS stocks basically Briess for everything... so not only is there a $$ difference, there is a quality difference.

Just like you cannot say "I can get a car at ABC for $12K, and over at DEF is costs me $15K to get a car" without noting that they are two different makes

Depends where you are and where they are shipping from. I just ordered 3 sacks by FedEx Ground. 55# each Canada Malting Pale Ale Malt and Best Malz Wheat and Pils. It cost a grand total including shipping of $140.71 to our boondock town. I don't have the exact prices I paid for the grain in front of me but I remember it was just under $100, so roughly $15/ sack for shipping.

Per their website,

PLEASE GO TO:

www.FedEx.com

WE SHIP MOST ALL PARCEL PACKAGES WITH FEDEX GROUND. ONCE YOU HAVE REACHED THE FEDEX HOME PAGE DO THE FOLLOWING:

1. CLICK RATES.

2. ENTER OUR SHIP FROM ZIP CODE AS 12919.

3. ENTER YOUR ZIP CODE IN THE SHIP TO SECTION.

4. SELECT WHERE THE PACKAGE(S) ARE BEING SHIPPED (RESIDENCE OR BUSINESS).

5. SELECT THE NUMBER OF PACKAGES BEING SHIPPED. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND WE NORMALLY SHIP NO MORE THAN 60 POUNDS PER BOX.

6. UNDER TYPE OF SERVICE CLICK FED EX GROUND.

7. SELECT TODAY AS THE SHIP DATE AND THEN CLICK CONTINUE.

8. DEPENDING ON THE NUMBER OF PACKAGES - ENTER THE WEIGHT OF EACH PACKAGE. DO NOT BE CONCERNED WITH THE DIMENSIONS OF THE SHIPMENT.

PLEASE NOTE - SHIPPING CHARGES ARE BASED ON THE ACTUAL WEIGHT OF THE PACKAGE WHEN SHIPPED. NORMALLY A 55LB BAG OF MALT WHEN PACKAGED WEIGHS 58LBS.

That is pretty great for a LHBS.

With the Country Malting Group you're looking at $25-27 for 2-row, and 35-38 for pretty much anything else (MO, Best Malz Pils, even caramel malts if you want a 55lb bag of em)

Yeah, that is good for a LHBS.

Country Malt Group ran me $96 for:

#55 of 2-Row
#55 of Wheat
#55 of Pilsner

That is #165. I ended up selling some from my garage to local HBTers too, why not?

I plan on buying 500-1000 pounds this next summer and doing the same as we did with the hops last summer.

Hi Pol,

Funny you posted this I asked my brewing mentor (buddy) what are the three base malts I should buy in bulk...he suggested domestic 2 row, pilsner and wheat. Do you find that you can make pretty much any beer with these base malts (within reason ofcourse)?

Hi Pol,

Funny you posted this I asked my brewing mentor (buddy) what are the three base malts I should buy in bulk...he suggested domestic 2 row, pilsner and wheat. Do you find that you can make pretty much any beer with these base malts (within reason ofcourse)?

Well, 2-row can be used in 80% of ales, Pilsner is great for everything IMO, especially if you are getting in to lagers (which I am) and I love weizens... so, of course I have wheat.

Id say 2-Row, Pils, and Wheat are good choices, I also stocked up on MO, Munich and Vienna!

Depends on what you like to brew, but 2Row, Wheat and Pils are my big three for sure.

Very cool. Once again thanks for helping out those that don't know anything (me):D

Hey by the way, I once asked you about your orange APA....you directed me to a site where I might find the recipe. I looked but cannot find it...do you have a link to the recipe...I think I want to try that one next..
Thanks
Joe

I'm looking to save some money by ordering malts in bulk. I made an account with Country Malt Group, and it put me with North Country Malt Supply....yet I live in New Mexico. Judging by how it splits the country up into three sections on the home page, I thought I'd have been grouped with Great Western Malting.

Country malt group and Great Western are different companies.

Maybe you have more info than the normal person. But strange that Country Malt would be sending business to Great Western if they are not part of the same organization.

From http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/hops/:
For more information please contact any of our following sales associates:

Eastern Canada
Matt Letki
[email protected]
(519) 500-3816

Western Canada
Don Moore
[email protected]
(250) 317-7888

Mid Atlantic and Southeastern US
Patrick LaZelle
Patrick.LaZelle@[B]GreatWesternMalting[/B].com

NE Eastern US
George Murphy
[email protected]
(518) 572-4505

Midwestern US
Kelly Kuehl
Kelly.Kuehl@[B]GreatWesternMalting.com[/B]
(952) 836-9995

Western US
Teri Fahrendorf
Teri.Fahrendorf@[B]GreatWesternMalting.com[/B]
360-356-5599

===========<end snip>============

And then, the internet WHOIS shows that the domain countrymaltgroup.com is registered to:
Great Western Malting
1705 NW Harborside Dr.
Vancouver, Washington 98660
United States

:confused:

So does this mean that Country Malt group, with a warehouse in Union City (where I drive by on my way to our Fremont office) would allow me to pickup in person and get their damn amazing prices without shipping?

That would be great!

Cheers

Lucas

Consider Brew Brothers

http://www.brewbrothers.biz/

they are in Oregon and will give you a shipping quote. I'd imagine to get to California, the shipping prices wouldn't be so bad. They ship FexEx ground.

Check out their grain bag prices as well as by the pound. Great malt, great prices.

SCORE!!!

I just picked up two 55 lbs bags of Two-Row for $45 apiece (including taxes) from one of our local breweries here in town. I had sheepishly asked the owner/brewmaster if he would mind ordering a couple of extra for me, and he said sure. Picked them up today.

I think he has another two for sale if anyone in the Raleigh-Durham area is interested.

I'd be interested in one bag. I live about an hour south of Raleigh and can pick it up tomorrow.

Back