Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Best bottled water for AG brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2010, 03:57 PM   #11
BulldogBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 20

As long as the water tastes better, I'm happy. How will chloramine affect a beer? My normal britta filter does a great job making my tap water drinkable. I'd use that if it was feasable to get 10 gallons through that little guy ;-)

Bottle: Apfelwein, Cranegranate Apfelwein
On Deck: Sweet Stout

Quote:
Let me bring you up to speed, we know nothing... You are now up to speed.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #12
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3230 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogBrewer View Post
My tap water tastes like it came from a pool... I finally switched from bottled water to filtering the tap water. Any basic additions I should consider after running tap water through a 2 micron filter?
Depends on what's in your water and the SRM of the beer your trying to brew. Here's a good place to start-http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter15-1.html

Old 08-06-2010, 04:17 PM   #13
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3230 Times on 3131 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogBrewer View Post
As long as the water tastes better, I'm happy. How will chloramine affect a beer? My normal britta filter does a great job making my tap water drinkable. I'd use that if it was feasable to get 10 gallons through that little guy ;-)
Chloramine reacts with the phenols produced by the yeast resulting in chlorophenols, which have a very harsh chemical or medicinal taste to them. If your water supply is treated with chlorine the filter should remove it. If it's treated with chloramine, it can easily be broken down by treating the water with campden tablets at a 1/4 tablet per 5 gal ratio.

Old 08-06-2010, 04:35 PM   #14
motobrewer
I'm no atheist scientist, but...
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 387

i'm on a well, so out of the ground my water is pretty real nasty.

after the softner my water is pretty real salty. 211ppm NA, along with 352ppm HCO3

i've used Ice Mountain Spring water for all my ag beers (8 or so) and haven't had a problem, except for ~70% eff.

maybe i'll try my tap next time.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:08 PM   #15
BulldogBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
Chloramine reacts with the phenols produced by the yeast resulting in chlorophenols, which have a very harsh chemical or medicinal taste to them. If your water supply is treated with chlorine the filter should remove it. If it's treated with chloramine, it can easily be broken down by treating the water with campden tablets at a 1/4 tablet per 5 gal ratio.
Thanks! I'll find out.
Bottle: Apfelwein, Cranegranate Apfelwein
On Deck: Sweet Stout

Quote:
Let me bring you up to speed, we know nothing... You are now up to speed.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #16
cclloyd

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I use the local grocery branded (Publix) bottled spring water. Don't know jack about the chemistry of it but the source is Florida spring water and it makes great beer. I would think it's relatively high in dissolved carbonates due to most of Florida being on a limestone aquifer.

Old 09-10-2012, 05:40 AM   #17
Picbuddy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

We are in College Station Texas where the water has a very extremely high sodium content. On a hot day you can run a water hose onto concrete and wait a few minutes and see salt after the water evaporates. Many people here can not even shower or bath in it as it dries out their skin, including me.

For my first home brew, a replica of Paulaner from Austin Home Brew Supply. last year, I used Crystal Geyser bottled at source in the Arkansas Ozark Mountains. Have found it to be the purest and best tasting water available in Central Texas, at $1 a gallon. Will be using 5-6 gallons of it again in the morning when starting a 5+ gallon batch of German Wheat beer with lemongrass, double yeast pitched and 28oz corn sugar for double 1% alcohol boost to bring it to 7.8%. A wicked non-session Circus Boy yet with real german yeast and hops.

Water is the very key element of success in many foods, like Chicago pan pizza, Jimmy John's bread and the list goes on.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:26 AM   #18
kaboom133
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Absolutely pure water has a ph of 7, and is completely neutral. Distilled water and RO water, because of it's exposure to earths atmosphere, absorbs CO2 and becomes slightly acidic. Distilled and RO water has a PH of around 4-5. Softened water is exposed to salts and so becomes more of an alkaline with a higher ph. Softened water can have anywhere (in my experience) of a ph from 6-8. Softened water is technically too high for brewing and distilled and RO are either perfect or slightly to low for brewing. Aquafina is RO water, as is most cheap 5 gallon water bottles.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:31 AM   #19
Picbuddy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I agree completely. That's why I prefer to drink and brew with source bottled spring water that is still alive and not processed. Crystal Geyser is the best we can get in College Station, but because of the Aggies vs. Florida SEC opener at Kyle Field, all grocery store shelves are bare, looking like a pending holocaust because of the tailgators.

I might actually delay my brew if Crystal Geyser from Arkansas isn't restocked by noonish.

Grego
Aggieland

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboom133 View Post
Absolutely pure water has a ph of 7, and is completely neutral. Distilled water and RO water, because of it's exposure to earths atmosphere, absorbs CO2 and becomes slightly acidic. Distilled and RO water has a PH of around 4-5. Softened water is exposed to salts and so becomes more of an alkaline with a higher ph. Softened water can have anywhere (in my experience) of a ph from 6-8. Softened water is technically too high for brewing and distilled and RO are either perfect or slightly to low for brewing. Aquafina is RO water, as is most cheap 5 gallon water bottles.

Old 09-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #20
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've used all kinds of water but now I use distilled water from the grocery store (RO water is pretty much the same thing). Adding salts (usually just calcium chloride and/or gypsum) to distilled water allows me to literally make water that's *perfect* for the style and individual beer I'm brewing.

It even comes in large recyclable PET bottles (similar to Better Bottles) that I can use as a one-time fermentor, so there's less worry about infection, and no real cleaning necessary! Though I'll give it a rinse before recycling anyways.

Quick Reply