Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Berliner Weiss: mash hopping and no boiling

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2007, 07:08 PM   #1
iamjonsharp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Berliner Weiss: mash hopping and no boiling

I've got upcoming plans to make a Berliner Weiss, and I drank an 1809 Berliner Weiss yesterday (mmm...it was tasty) and the label said this:

"The applied mashing regime is a single step decoction mash with 50 % wheat malt.The total amount of hops is added to the mash so that isomerisation takes place in the decocotion part of the mash. The wort is not boiled but only heated up to boiling temperature and then transferred to the open fermenters and pitched with yeast and lactic acid bacteria (isolated from malt) at 18 °C (64°F)."

There was one or two threads on mash hopping, but has anyone ever done this with a Berliner Weiss or have any other thoughts about doing this?

Thanks.

-Jon

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2007, 07:17 PM   #2
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts

Jon,

I've never done a berlinerweisse, but I've schemed on it. Here's the recipe I thought about using:

Quote:
Napoleon’s Champagne
(5 gallons/19 L, all-grain)
OG = 1.030 FG = 1.004
IBU = 9 SRM = 3 ABV = ~3.0%

Ingredients
4.0 lbs. (1.8 kg) Durst Pilsner malt
2.0 lbs. (0.91 kg) wheat malt
5 AAU Spalt hops (15 min)
(1.0 oz./28 g of 5% alpha acids)
Wyeast 1007 (German Ale) or
White Labs WLP029 (German Ale/
Kölsch) yeast (1 qt./~1 L starter)
Wyeast 4335 (Lactobacillus) bacteria
(1 qt./~1 L starter, not aerated)
1.2 cups corn sugar (for priming)

Step by Step
Make bacterial starter 2 weeks before brew day. Make yeast starter 2–3 days before brewday. Heat 2 gallons (7.6 L) of strike water to 161 °F (72 °C) and mash at 150 °F (66 °C) for 45 minutes. Collect about 3 gallons (11 L) of wort and add water to make about 5.33 gallons (20 L) of pre-boil wort. Boil for 15 minutes, adding hops at beginning of boil. Pitch both starters to cooled wort. Ferment at 62 °F (17 °C) for one week, then condition for a week or two at 70–80 °F (21–27 °C) in primary fermenter. Rack to secondary and bottle the beer in heavy bottles a few days later.
So they have you boiling for 15 mins. Still a short boil, but a boil nonetheless.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 09-19-2007, 07:21 PM   #3
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 607 Times on 376 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Sounds interesting - and like it might work. I've never mash hopped, but the description makes it sound like they added hops to a decoction. That being the case, you'd probably want to decoct a bit thin and boil for at least 30 minutes - perhaps a double decoction. Because your decoction is probably going to be a relatively high gravity, you'll likely want to increase the hops above what you'd normally add to the boil in order to achieve the same effect. Not sure by how much to increase them, though.

Good luck!

Old 09-19-2007, 07:21 PM   #4
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 371 Times on 306 Posts
Likes Given: 97

Now, what's the theory behind not boiling? Not causing proteins from the wheat to drop out (no hot break)? Limiting the hop isomerization to a very low level?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:23 PM   #5
iamjonsharp

Recipes 

Yeah, that's about the recipe I was going to go with, the one from the "10 Hardest Styles to Brew" by BYO.

I am interested in trying the wort hopping, but have heard that it increases hop aroma and flavor, which aren't a profile of a Berliner Weiss.

Possibly because some of the mash is decocted, you lose some of the hop aroma and flavor?

Old 09-19-2007, 07:28 PM   #6
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts

Jon, when are you planning on brewing?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 09-19-2007, 07:40 PM   #7
iamjonsharp

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Now, what's the theory behind not boiling? Not causing proteins from the wheat to drop out (no hot break)? Limiting the hop isomerization to a very low level?
That's a great question, I'd like to know why as well. What's most important is ending up with a good Berliner Weiss, not using a set technique. It'd be interesting to find out why they make the 1809 that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Jon, when are you planning on brewing?
Not quite sure yet. I've got the ingredients. If I follow the yeast starter the way BYO says, I'll have to do a 2 week starter, and haven't done that yet.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:06 PM   #8
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Yep, pretty much. It's a real witches' brew with some crazy protocols. I've never attempted one, and I don't know many who have. One brewer I know has one that's out of this world, though (Best of Show, Bluebonnet, 2007; BoS runner-up, Dixie Cup, 2006). I don't have all his secrets, yet, but I understand he did not boil it. I need to get more of his secrets or, at least, more of his beer.

A Berliner weiss is not at all bitter. It's sour as all get-out, but not at all bitter. As pale as they are, I'm suprised it's decocted at all, but I guess you need some IBUs in there.

TL

Old 09-20-2007, 04:07 AM   #9
iamjonsharp

Recipes 

I found a thread on another forum that discusses making Berliner Weiss...may be helpful to anyone making a BW...

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/view...er=asc&start=0

Old 09-20-2007, 11:54 AM   #10
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Berliner Weisse is being discussed on the The Jamil Show this Sunday night at around 8pm Pacific. That is too late for me but I plan on listening when it makes it to podcast on the 8th.

Quick Reply