New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Belgin Wit!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2008, 02:17 PM   #1
JMD87
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Belgin Wit!

Hello all!

I am new to this forum and feel like I should thank everyone for the amount of information I've "absorbed" in the past few days.

Anyway, I'm about to do a Belgin Wit Partial Mash, and am looking for advice on how to clone Blue Moon as closely as possible.

I am using a kit from Annapolis Hom Brew as this is my first PM.
Last one on the bottom -> http://www.annapolishomebrew.com/shoprecipekits112.asp

My question to you is I know that timing the addition of orange peel & corriander at the end of the boil is critical in cloning blue moon. Also the Mash temp seems to be a critical factor. Can someone recommend time & temp for these items? Any other tips?

Thanks everyone!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-25-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
Big "A"
Recipes 

LMAO... I grew up in Annapolis!!!!!

Coriander and Orange peel near the end of the boil. some say 5min some say 15min.

The mash would be the same amount of time as any AG recipe. That is a lighter bodied beer so 150 for 60min should do you fine.

That is about as far as I can go without knowing the grains that are in the kit.
Does it contain oats and are the oats flaked? Are the grains at least 50% or more base malt.

"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer."
-Frank Zappa

Old 05-25-2008, 10:35 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't need to rehash it all, honestly, because I'd just bastardize it. I think I've mastered the wit, thanks in large part to Jamil. Listen to THIS, then brew. Cheers!

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 05-26-2008, 12:46 AM   #4
budbo
Beer is good

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Try this Thread

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=29534

Old 05-26-2008, 07:10 PM   #5
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 452 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan! View Post
I don't need to rehash it all, honestly, because I'd just bastardize it. I think I've mastered the wit, thanks in large part to Jamil. Listen to THIS, then brew. Cheers!
Interesting stuff. Mashing a wit right now. What about using a coffee grinder for the coriander? Sounds like it would really pulverize it. Good or bad idea?

Old 05-27-2008, 11:39 AM   #6
JMD87
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big "A" View Post
LMAO... I grew up in Annapolis!!!!!

Coriander and Orange peel near the end of the boil. some say 5min some say 15min.

The mash would be the same amount of time as any AG recipe. That is a lighter bodied beer so 150 for 60min should do you fine.

That is about as far as I can go without knowing the grains that are in the kit.
Does it contain oats and are the oats flaked? Are the grains at least 50% or more base malt.
Thanks for the info. One thing that I don't like about the kit I bought, they do not list ingredients or quantities. They just filled a bag of grain/oats & said "Trust us!"

Like I said it's my first Partial Mash, which will probably just influence me to go to all grain after. I have everything I need besides a bigger pot, which will be my next purchase.

Thanks again

Old 05-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #7
h1tman
Recipes 

I just did a Wit that turned out great. The one thing to remember though is a Blue Moon does not use a Belgian Yeast, I think it uses Cal Ale. Your basically leaning on the orange and corriander for the flavor. I used safale T-58 and it turned out really nice, slightly peppery and spicy. A compromise may be to Pitch some Cal Ale AND T-58 to just get a hint of spiciness from the yeast. I also used the zest of 5 fresh oranges and it was great.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:15 PM   #8
wedge421

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have added the corriander and orange peels typically in the last 15 mins. If you do it in the last 5 you may get a bit more aroma then you want rather then taste.

Quick Reply