Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Belgian Wit - Protein Rest Required?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #1
Nitcomb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Belgian Wit - Protein Rest Required?

I'm brewing my first all grain Wit and was wondering if anyone had thoughts on doing a protein rest as part of the mash. The grain bill includes:

5 lbs Belgian Pils
3 lbs White Wheat malt
2.25 lbs Flaked Wheat

Thanks for any advice!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 12:58 AM   #2
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 190

With that grain bill it's not really all that necessary but it would help a little. Basically, everything I've been reading lately says unmalted grains such as flaked wheat or flaked oats should have a protein rest and that it will increase efficiency. So far the only beers I've made since getting my own grain mill that have come in under efficient are my Belgian Wit's, since I've not yet done a protein rest with them and they use about 4.25lb flaked wheat and about a pound of flaked oats.

I have ingredients coming and will do a protein rest when I brew it up two weekends from now. Your recipe has only 2.25lbs of Flaked wheat and no oats so I don't think it's really necessary. If you'd done all flaked wheat for the wheat portion I would say yes it would help.

BTW, your grain bill is just a tad on the heavy side for a wit. I put it in Beersmith and even with a 75% efficiency it comes out to a 1.057 OG. The SRM also tops the color range at 4.0 SRM also. I do mine about a pound less, usually around a 9.25lb grain bill or so. Nothing wrong with the way you're doing it of course. Good luck!

Rev.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:57 AM   #3
AKnewbrews
Recipes 

The protein rest helps with sparging the wheat and unmalted flaked grains as well as helps with head retention, which in a wit, is definitely needed to help get that huge frothy head.

Bottled: Pomegranate Orange Witbier, Yule Gruit, English ESB, 7 Grain Black Chocolate Stout, Oaked Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter

Old 01-16-2012, 11:50 AM   #4
kcpup
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I might suggest rice hulls to aid in your sparge and efficiency. Flaked grains get a bit gummy and the hulls help a lot. I don't think you'll miss that extra rest too much.

Old 01-16-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
3PegBrew
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I would like to concur that your batch is small and it might not be needed. However, I always play it safe when I use wheat. I dough in low, and do a protein rest for 30 minutes with wheat. Then I ramp it up to 155ish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninan View Post
Hitler gave the toothbrush 'stache a bad name...
My Keezer Build

Aller guten dinge sind drei!

Old 01-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #6
bschot
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have used 50% pilsner and 50% flaked wheat. I definitely recommend using rice hulls and run off slow, slow is better than not at all. It came really great but if you use that much pilsner use a 90 min boil

Good Luck

Old 01-16-2012, 11:12 PM   #7
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bschot View Post
I have used 50% pilsner and 50% flaked wheat. I definitely recommend using rice hulls and run off slow, slow is better than not at all. It came really great but if you use that much pilsner use a 90 min boil

Good Luck
I assume you're talking about DMS reduction, but there's no need to boil 90min unless you want to. I typically do 80 or 90% pils for saisons with a 60min boil, and I don't boil Berliners at all (although I'll concede that the microbes may reduce DMS in that case).

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 01-17-2012, 02:10 AM   #8
Nitcomb
Recipes 

Thanks to all who offered advice!
I skipped the 'Rest'. We'll see how it goes...

Cheers

Quick Reply