Belgian tripple partial mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirmace

Reaction score
I have been looking a partial mash/biab recipe for a Belgian tripple. Anyone have one I can try

I just finished aging this recipe from Northern Brewer:
http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/PM-CarmeliteTripel.pdf

I didn't buy the kit, just most of the ingredients. It's still sitting in bottles carbing up, but it tastes pretty good so far. Once it reaches full carbonation, I think it'll be quite tasty. I got it down to a pretty low FG (08 I think), so it's not too sweet, and it hides the alcohol in there quite nicely. My primary took about 3 weeks for it to finish out, then I moved it into secondary for about 3 months. I carbonated it to 3.3 volumes.

I just bottled the same kit with a similar timeframe for aging. The hydrometer sample tasted pretty good, so I can't wait for when it's carbed and ready to go. Experimented with corking and high pressure (4.5 volumes). We'll see. I still have another 3 weeks before I'm going to open the first bottle.

A simple Triple recipe is 80% Pils, 20% sugar. Shoot for an OG of 1.075-1.085. Hop to a BU:GU ratio of .38 with 2/3 of the IBU's at 60 and the last 1/3 at 30. I like Saaz but any noble hop works. For yeast a good choice is 3787, but other Belgian yeast works great also.

So just mash as much as you can and make up the difference with Pils DME. to hit the OG you want.

If you need help with the numbers just let me know, but if you have brew software, just plug them in until you hit the % you need.

BeerGolf's suggestion is a good one. I might suggest a one or two ounces of aromatic malt to his grain bill for a little enhancement.

Make a big starter, and I'd recommend fermenting on the cool side.

Cheers

You might already know this but just incase, your boil time should be at least 90 minutes to remove as much DMS as possible when using that much Pils.

Cream corn is not that tasty in beer.

is there anything about the fermentation process I need to know temperature control

is there anything about the fermentation process I need to know temperature control

I like to pitch in the low to mid 60's and then slowly let it rise. This will start fermentation slowly and not get too hot too fast. Alo Belgian yeasts do ot like to have the temp drop so once the temp gets up leave it there until it is done. Give it plenty of time to finish. Belgian yeasts can take a long time to get the last few points.

enjoy..

I just finished a batch of triple. Pitched at 18 C for 2 days, moved to 24C for 7 days, transfered to secondary and finished at 28C for the last 5 days. Started at 1076 and finished at 1011. Carbonating now to 3 volumes CO2. First tastings were dry and delicious.

This was all grain, 80% pils and 20% sugar. Belgian golden strong yeast, Saaz hops. With my experience with the style attenuation is really the key. Let the temp run, and take your time with fermentation. Let it finish out for as long as you can wait.

Back