Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Belgian Strong Golden Ale - Fermentation Schedule?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
Snotpoodle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Belgian Strong Golden Ale - Fermentation Schedule?

Hi,

I put down 10 gallons of Belgian Strong Golden Ale this weekend, and was interested in input about a decent fermentation schedule.

I ended up with a 1.090 FG (epic efficiency), and followed a normal recipe of 90% Pilsner, 5% Munich, 5% Flaked Wheat and some homemade candi sugar.

I have just pitched a healthy starter of WLP 530, and the temp is sitting around 60F at the moment.

What schedule would you suggest to get the very best out of the recipe and yeast I have used.

Bear in mind I cannot crash cool or lager, the temp its at now is about the lowest I can get it by a few degrees. I can obviously get it warmer by moving it to a room with under floor heating, and wrapping it up, but i think I only want to do this around 4 days time.

Beersmith says I should end up with a beer (if WLP 530 performs of between 10% and 11% ABV). Where do you think this "should end, FG of arond 1.010?

Advice?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Ferment it until it is done (3 weeks plus? You cannot schedule fermentation), I suggest leaving it in the fermentor for another couple weeks after that.

Newer, better, more streamlined sig as per the forum police.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
OLDBREW
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

530 abbey ale
Used to produce Trappist style beers. Similar to WLP500, but is less fruity and more alcohol tolerant (up to 15% ABV). Excellent yeast for high gravity beers, Belgian ales, dubbels and trippels.
Attenuation: 75-80%
Flocculation: Medium to high
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 66-72°F
(19-22°C)
Alcohol Tolerance: High

I'd start at the lower end 66*F for about four days of the fermentation,then slowly move it up to 72*F to finish out. Do you have some way to control the temperatures in those ranges (heating blanket/pad)?

Old 07-25-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
Snotpoodle
Recipes 

Yep, for that small variation I can control it.

when I talk about a fermentation schedule, belgian ales normally have specific temps for certain times. Some ales specifically have to get nice and warm, and I am interested in the experience of other brewers who have tried these ales.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #5
JoePro
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I would pitch @ 64 degrees and ferment @ 64 for a week. Every day thereafter I would raise it by 1 degree up until you get to about ~71 degrees for decent ester production. Lager it for a week thereafter to crisp it. After that, let it condition in on for 2 months @ room temp, and bottle condition for 3 months.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #6
robtotten
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 9

What was your mash schedule? How much candy sugar did you use? It's going to be hard to get it down to 1.010 without significant simple sugar contributions. Duvel for example uses over 15% sugar in their fermentables.

After 3-4 days, I would let it rise freely in a room around 70F ambient

if god wanted us to drink beer, she would have given us stomachs

Old 07-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #7
OLDBREW
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

this yeast you can bring it up higher after the vigorous fermentation starts to slow, to bring out more esters. but this strains design produces esters within the temperatures listed that should be enough for this style.

I have a tripel fermenting now that I started at 66*F and it will finsh at around 76*F controlled

if you let these yeasts go they will start producing hot alcohols, which the goldens and tripels dont want in the foreground. you want the cloak & daggar with the alcohol

some styles need the funk and brewers will let the yeast take off from the low end and do it's own thing up in the mid 80 to 90 range. the yeast spit out some strange flavors.

saison yeasts will ferment up in the 80* range

BTW this brew with that high of an OG should finish higher
Vital Statistics: OG: 1.070 – 1.095
IBUs: 22 – 35 FG: 1.005 – 1.016
SRM: 3 – 6 ABV: 7.5 – 10.5%

Old 07-25-2011, 04:01 PM   #8
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I agree with something similar to what old brew is saying start lower and ramp up to 83F (if you are using an abbey yeast as he stated).

I just did a belgian quad that is now bottle using a similar strategy and it worked great. I think the ferment schedule for that was:
1. 65F for 2 days
2. 83F for 5 days
3. 50F for 60 days (mine was more like 60-70F)

After that I left mine in the fermenter for a total of 21 days, then racked to kegs and bulk conditioned and just put in bottles this weekend. It is very, very good.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f73/piou...ltiple-147815/

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 07-26-2011, 03:06 AM   #9
32Brew
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I have a Belgian Golden Ale conditioning in bottles right now with WLP 570. I did this:
-68°F for 2 days ( low end of recommended range)
-72°F for 2 days (middle of range)
-free rise for 4 days to upper end of range
- back down to 70° and hold for 3 weeks

I give a disclaimer that I haven't done this before, but I read several threads and kinda winged it. It has turned out great, and I'm just waiting to condition further to drink. It has a great ester profile, so I can recommend what I did.

Old 07-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #10
Snotpoodle
Recipes 

Wow, thank you for the excellent advice.

So I can take out that most of you have left this kind of recipe on the yeast for 30days + at least?

I did add 2kg (about 4.4lbs) of sugar to the boil, and I imagine I will get a yeast stall or two along the way; would you suggest I add more sugar to get it going again, I can also pitch another smack pack of 530 if I have to...what would be the best solution?

Quick Reply