Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Belgian Quad SG 1.094 to 1.010 in 1 week....how I did it...if you want to know.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2008, 02:41 PM   #21
B-Dub
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

dontman - Sounds like a good idea. Be sure to post how it worked for you.

If you are going to let it sit for 7 weeks at 66 are you going to get it off the yeast?

I am bottling my Quad after a few weeks cold. Just can't want any more! Then next week one more Quad and a Triple. Have to keep the pipeline full!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2008, 03:04 PM   #22
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yes, 3 weeks in primary, give or take a few days, the rest in secondary.

My Dark Strong has been bottled for 2 weeks now. Crystal clear in the bottle. Lovely looking beer. I will be good and wait at least 4 weeks in bottle to crack my first one although this is the first beer in recent memory that actually tasted decent to me, directly from the gravity column.

I gotta tell you. I just love playing with these temps to get the yeasties to dance. I feel like it really puts the "Artisan" in artisan beer.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:54 AM   #23
gxm
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just wanted to give this thread a bump, as using the tub fermenters with aquarium heaters has made huge difference in all of my beers, especially the Belgian styles.
I'd previously been using a temperature controlled fridge (heating element tied to a fixed air temperature controller). Using this setup, the temp of fermenting beers often exceeded my target temps, and the beers needed a longer conditioning period to get rid of off flavors and harsh alcohols in higher gravity brews.
Now, using the controlled environment, my beers attenuate to the desired level, and need less conditioning time. As an added benefit, I can use the fridge just to condition beers after fermenting, and I can fit 5 cornys in there, versus 3 fermenters.
Thanks again Sixbillionethans

Old 02-14-2009, 06:59 AM   #24
z987k

Recipes 

That's great, but do you know why? Without the why, did anyone in this thread learn anything but wrote memory?

I don't mean to go on a tirade or anything, but I've read a lot of threads tonight and all of them seem to be... well I did X and Y happened. I have no idea why it happened and I probably can't repeat it but it did! What good does that do anyone?

Last edited by z987k; 02-14-2009 at 07:02 AM.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:01 PM   #25
dontman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontman View Post
B-Dub

I just brewed a Golden Triple this weekend. I did something new with this one. I am doing a double ferment. I kept 1/2 gallon of the finished wort aside and put it in a clean jar. After about 60 hour of fermenting at 70, last night I heated 1 1/2 lbs of candy into the reserved wort and added it to the fermenter.

Today I have been slowly raising the temp for the warm stage. 48 hours of warm followed by 7 weeks at 66.

I have high hopes for this beer. My goal FG is 1.008 (from a total OG including last night's infusion of 1.081)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Dub View Post
dontman - Sounds like a good idea. Be sure to post how it worked for you.

If you are going to let it sit for 7 weeks at 66 are you going to get it off the yeast?

I am bottling my Quad after a few weeks cold. Just can't want any more! Then next week one more Quad and a Triple. Have to keep the pipeline full!

B-Dub. As you requested I am posting back with results.

Holy frijoles Batman! This is by far the best Belgian I have made. And I am a big fan of most of my Belgians.

It fermented down to 1.010 which was my target and prediction. At four weeks in bottle, no fusels, just a hint of alcohol warmth. Perfect level of ester and the fruit qualities balance perfectly with the malt and hops.

Question to anyone who knows: from what brewery does the WL500 (Trappist) derive? (This is what I used.)
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:33 AM   #26
B-Dub
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

No time to dive further.

Dontman, WLP500 is Chimay.

Glad to hear your beer turned out so well. I just had a Triple, Quad, Saison and Dark Saison.

Time for some water@!

Old 02-15-2009, 02:51 AM   #27
QueenCityALER
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Dub View Post
For what it's worth, I have been brewing some Belgian beers over the last year and have finally reached a point where my FG is down where I want it.

The last Quad (1.094 with 27% simple sugar by extract, not weight) got 1 minute of pure O2 though a stone, mashed at 147-149 for 90 min, built up 1 vial of yeast on a stir plate 1500mls....dump beer then 2000mls more, added yeast nutrient, fermented wlp530 at 66 deg for 2 days (with a blow off tube because it was making a huge mess) then ramped the temp up to 82 (fridge with heating pad). Some will debate the high temp, but I was going with advice from a friend who has been to Belgium and what Brew Like a Monk states some brewers temps get up to. The FG was 1.010 after 1 week.

Tasted great going to conditioning fridge where it will spend 1 month at 34 deg. Then transfer to clean keg, warm up for 2 days to 72 in warm fridge, add fresh yeast and sugar and bottle.

Belgian yeasts are not like any other yeasts I have used and need a different approach to pitching amounts and temperature. Finally have the FG down to a nice dry level, but it took me a year to figure it out and some sweet beers.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I love brewing Belgian beers. I also love the Dark Candi sugars for darker styles.

Happy Brewing,

B-Dub

I reposted this from the bottom of another thread because I thought some might like to hear what is working for me. Hope it helps.

Hell yeah man!!! That's rockin!! How you doin?

Old 02-16-2009, 11:28 PM   #28
gxm
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k View Post
That's great, but do you know why? Without the why, did anyone in this thread learn anything but wrote memory?

I don't mean to go on a tirade or anything, but I've read a lot of threads tonight and all of them seem to be... well I did X and Y happened. I have no idea why it happened and I probably can't repeat it but it did! What good does that do anyone?
I made my fermenting temp control better, and got better beer as a result by making the yeast environment less stressful. I can and do repeat it.

Have you considered relaxing with a refreshing homebrew?

Old 02-17-2009, 04:11 AM   #29
B-Dub
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I hope everyone here knows the why for what we collectively do as brewers. If you have any specific questions, please ask and I will try and let you know why I did something.

The problem with having a reproducible result is the 30 gallons of Belgian beer waiting for me to bottle!

Away for class this week and will be in and out, but if I can help any one make better Belgian beer with the little knowledge I have, please post your question.

Have a good beer for me this week!

Old 02-17-2009, 04:26 AM   #30
dontman
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxm View Post
Have you considered relaxing with a refreshing homebrew?
I was thinking the same thing. That, or maybe a prescription for Paxil, or maybe a colorectalentomectomy, because it really can't be good for one's health to have a bug of that size up one's rectum.

Quick Reply