Belgian pale ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evan5159

Reaction score
This weekend I'm doing my third all grain brew, a Belgian pale kit. Anyone have any ideas to kick it up a notch? Spices, additives, etc.

For spices, try the typical Belgian wit spices like coriander, bitter orange, grains of paradise if you want that kind of thing. It generally can work well. For additives, throw in some belgian candi or just table sugar to kick the ABV up. Try a liquid yeast like WLP500/510/530/550/570/575 etc. or the wyeast equivalent. The yeast will probably give you the most bang for your buck.

You could add them at any point from the start of boiling to the secondary fermenter. But probably the most common thing to do (I think) is add them with about 10 min to go in the boil.

I would personally use liquid yeast and then wash it and use it for a Belgian strong on the second go round. Only Belgian yeast I have used was WLP550 and I loved it in both the pale and strong that I did.

I'm brewing a belgian, perhaps this weekend, going to toss some cardamom pods in, not many, just a few to complement the curacao orange and ginger. I am going to use t-58, I just don't know whether to go dark (I have Belgian chocolate malt on hand) or light....

Back