Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Beersmith sparge question... non-equal batch sizes?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2008, 05:07 AM   #1
Tankard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beersmith sparge question... non-equal batch sizes?

On my Beersmith brewsheet, it tells me to sparge with 1.94 gallons, vorlouf and drain, and then sparge with 3.63 gallons, vorlouf and drain. Shouldn't the two sparge amounts be of equal volume? If so, could I just add these two amounts and divide in half?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2008, 05:11 AM   #2
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew Dude View Post
On my Beersmith brewsheet, it tells me to sparge with 1.94 gallons, vorlouf and drain, and then sparge with 3.63 gallons, vorlouf and drain. Shouldn't the two sparge amounts be of equal volume? If so, could I just add these two amounts and divide in half?
I usually round up when I do it. 3.63 gal, I will round up to 4.You can customize any sparge sizes you want on beersmith through the add step feature.

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 06-05-2008, 06:04 AM   #3
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I am guessing you are shooting for equal volumes, but you didn't check off the option to 'drain the mash tun before starting to batch sparge.' If not, then the program is correct -- your liquid from the mash plus your first batch sparge water infusion should add up to be the same volume as your second batch sparge water addition. It is the runnings that you are attempting to equalize, not the amount of sparge water additions, necessarily.

If you enable the 'drain the mash tun...' option, you should either get two similarly sized batch sparge water additions, or one big one (depends on the size of your mash tun and what you set for the 'Batch Sparge using batches that fill _____ % of the mash tun' option.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:12 AM   #4
Tankard
Recipes 

Quote:
but you didn't check off the option to 'drain the mash tun before starting to batch sparge.'
DING DING DING! I didn't even know this option was there.

Thanks Flyguy.

Old 06-05-2008, 06:16 AM   #5
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Glad to help!

Quick Reply