Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BeerSmith Batch Sparge Instructions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 02:17 AM   #1
eanmcnulty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default BeerSmith Batch Sparge Instructions

Hi Guys,
Hope some can help me with this. I am brewing a three gallon batch of 10% ABV IPA. These are my instructions for the mash:

Mash In 154F, Add 14.50 qt of water at 171F for a step temp of 154F for 60 min

I'm fine with that, but then the batch sparge says this:

Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 2.00gal) of 168.0 F water

Does that mean two sparges of 2gal each? Or does it mean two sparges of 1gal each?

My guess is two at 2gal each. I'm sure 11.6 lbs of grain will soak up a lot of water.

Thanks a lot!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 02:22 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4274 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by eanmcnulty View Post
Hi Guys,
Hope some can help me with this. I am brewing a three gallon batch of 10% ABV IPA. These are my instructions for the mash:

Mash In 154F, Add 14.50 qt of water at 171F for a step temp of 154F for 60 min

I'm fine with that, but then the batch sparge says this:

Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 2.00gal) of 168.0 F water

Does that mean two sparges of 2gal each? Or does it mean two sparges of 1gal each?

My guess is two at 2gal each. I'm sure 11.6 lbs of grain will soak up a lot of water.

Thanks a lot!
First, I think 154 is too high for a 10% IPA. You will probably want to go with 150 or so.

How many pounds of grain are you using? 11.6? That's about right.
Remember that your grain will absorb about .125 gallons per pound of grain. So figure you'll "lose" 1.45 gallons right there out of the 3.625 you're mashing in with.

That means you'll have a bit over 2 gallons after the mash. What is your boil volume? You'll want to use enough sparge water to get you to your boil volume.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:33 AM   #3
eanmcnulty
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
First, I think 154 is too high for a 10% IPA. You will probably want to go with 150 or so.

How many pounds of grain are you using? 11.6? That's about right.
Remember that your grain will absorb about .125 gallons per pound of grain. So figure you'll "lose" 1.45 gallons right there out of the 3.625 you're mashing in with.

That means you'll have a bit over 2 gallons after the mash. What is your boil volume? You'll want to use enough sparge water to get you to your boil volume.
Ah, you know Yooper, I'm an idiot. It says exactly how much water I need. All I had to do was add it together.

Is there any advantage to splitting the sparge into two batches?

And as far as the mash goes I had it at 150F ever since I've been working on this recipe (weeks), and I just changed it to 154F. Not sure why I thought that was a good idea. Thanks for the help!

Old 10-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Ah, you know Yooper, I'm an idiot. It says exactly how much water I need. All I had to do was add it together.

Is there any advantage to splitting the sparge into two batches?

And as far as the mash goes I had it at 150F ever since I've been working on this recipe (weeks), and I just changed it to 154F. Not sure why I thought that was a good idea. Thanks for the help!
There may be an advantage to splitting it into two batch sparges normally, but it really depends on how much sparge water you have. If you split this into two sparges, two gallons in each, you may not have enough liquid to really get the grainbed fluid and stir well. In that case, many people will do one round of batch sparging.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
broadbill
Recipes 

Liked 305 Times on 215 Posts
Likes Given: 204

Since when do IPA top out at 10%????? Kinda funny...I have nothing helpful to add...good luck!

Old 10-29-2011, 03:46 AM   #6
eanmcnulty
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill
Since when do IPA top out at 10%????? Kinda funny...I have nothing helpful to add...good luck!
What do you mean top out?

Sent from my Droid using Home Brew Talk

Old 10-29-2011, 03:49 AM   #7
eanmcnulty
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

There may be an advantage to splitting it into two batch sparges normally, but it really depends on how much sparge water you have. If you split this into two sparges, two gallons in each, you may not have enough liquid to really get the grainbed fluid and stir well. In that case, many people will do one round of batch sparging.
Ill just do what ever looks best when I get there. I was just trying to figure out BeerSmith wants me to batch sparge with two steops in stead of one.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Ill just do what ever looks best when I get there. I was just trying to figure out BeerSmith wants me to batch sparge with two steops in stead of one.

I don't have the new Beersmith, but my version has an option that you click on the "batch sparge screen" that says something like "use 50% of the batch sparge volume". That could be why it's tell you to do it twice.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #9
randmc
Recipes 

I am doing my first all grain batch today, out of all the instructional videos I've seen I never heard of doing a two step sparge. Beer smith is throwing me for a loop, will it be a real problem if I just do a single sparge? I thought that would do a better job at rinsing the grains.

Old 02-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 905 Times on 602 Posts
Likes Given: 26

There are a lot of different factors that affect this but the first reason to break a sparge up into several batches is if your mash tun can't handle the full sparge volume. This happens to people who make the mistake of building a 5 gallon mash tun and then try to make a big OG beer. There is also sometimes a small boost in efficiency when breaking the sparge up and how much of a boost depends on a couple things. It's more effort, but I think it's good liquid handling practice for new all grain brewers anyway.

Quick Reply