Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Beer tastes like plastic

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2009, 10:40 PM   #1
GHB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Beer tastes like plastic

gentlemen, I made two blonde ales using Notty yeast. Everything seemed fine and looked fine but both of them tasted like plastic. This is a tried and true recipe and i have never had this problem before. I visited the thread about what infections look like and I did not see anything out of the ordinary in my fermentors. I pitched a little hot 90 or so but have done this in the past with no problem. I have a freezer set at 66 degrees for fermenting temp. Can anyone give some advise on what the problem may be. Dont wanna loose another. Thanks

Garrett

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2009, 11:18 PM   #2
GHB
Recipes 

Please help

Old 08-14-2009, 11:41 PM   #3
carbon111
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Check out this thread:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/not...-yeast-128940/

My last IPA brewed with Nottingham and fermented at 65-69 F smelled and tasted like rotting bananas.

After a month, the flavor is starting to fade a little.

Nottingham may have some issues just now...Safale US-05 may be a good substitute if you prefer dry.

Best Regards, James
--
My beer blog: http://brewdujour.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.carbon111.com

Fermenting: Carbon's Grizzly Bear, Young's Special London Ale (clone)

Bottled/Conditioning:Siberian Raven Winter Ale, Cherry Tree Porter, Victoria's Dirty Secret

Drinking: Montgomery Scottish Ale, Thames American Bitter, Crow's Beak Old Ale, Bastet Brown, Carbon's Cascade Ale, Red Silo Honey IPA

Old 08-14-2009, 11:50 PM   #4
Stuntman
Alcohol to Urine 37+ yrs. Not any longer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 7

When one of my LHBS's told me that the when the plastic fermenters turn yellow it is time to pitch them in the garbage. Could that be it?

So now I went to glass only. Of course now I am worried about how much I am drinking, trying to move the full glass around. I was cleaning one and set it on the concrete ever so easily (apparently not easy enough) it made that noise and I let it go before the whole carboy went into pieces. Got a nasty cut, but could have took my hand off if I didn't let it go when I did.

I keep towels handy now to set them on, another note is that dang carboy hauler that goes around neck, I have been told that the neck can snap off, It is made for carrying empty carboys, or for balancing while you are carrying it from the bottom.

Hope it is an easy fix for you.

Emphasis on drank, sober since August 28 2011

Old 08-15-2009, 01:59 AM   #5
Synovia
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntmantoo View Post
When one of my LHBS's told me that the when the plastic fermenters turn yellow it is time to pitch them in the garbage. Could that be it?
:
If you use Iodophor, your plastic will always be yellowish.

You didn't use a garden hose at some point during the brew day, did you?

Old 08-15-2009, 03:17 AM   #6
GHB
Recipes 

I did use the hose, i think this may have caused the off taste because brew days have been in the hundreds lately and my black hose was stretched across my lawn to the garage where i brew. Have since made a batch with bottled water, no results yet. I was mainly worried about infection and knowing if i have some other bigger problem.

Old 08-15-2009, 04:23 AM   #7
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHB View Post
gentlemen, I made two blonde ales using Notty yeast. Everything seemed fine and looked fine but both of them tasted like plastic. This is a tried and true recipe and i have never had this problem before. I visited the thread about what infections look like and I did not see anything out of the ordinary in my fermentors. I pitched a little hot 90 or so but have done this in the past with no problem. I have a freezer set at 66 degrees for fermenting temp. Can anyone give some advise on what the problem may be. Dont wanna loose another. Thanks

Garrett
Pitching yeast at 90F is asking for trouble. Not having a previous problem could be chalked up to luck but by doing what you describe you are essentially playing Russian Roulette with your batch of beer. The plastic taste is phenolics. They are produced by many yeasts at high temps and can also be produced by wild yeast or bacteria. Note that an infection will not necessarily cause a change in the appearance of the beer. Review your sanitation procedures and be sure to both pitch and ferment at the recommended temperature range of the yeast.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:03 PM   #8
s1080
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If my memory serves me correctly phenolics can also come from sanitizing with bleach if not rinsed thoroughly. I just recently had this problem and picked up some starsan.

Old 08-15-2009, 02:26 PM   #9
Stuntman
Alcohol to Urine 37+ yrs. Not any longer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
If you use Iodophor, your plastic will always be yellowish.

You didn't use a garden hose at some point during the brew day, did you?
MAN!!!!
I am going to learn not to listen to that one LHBS and just read these posts...

Thanks Synovia

I got one LHBS that is further away from me, but they seem to know a lot more.

Emphasis on drank, sober since August 28 2011

Old 08-15-2009, 07:18 PM   #10
carbon111
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHB View Post
I did use the hose.
That could have certainly been it. Vinyl has a well known penchant for leeching, especially at warmer temps...

Best Regards, James
--
My beer blog: http://brewdujour.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.carbon111.com

Fermenting: Carbon's Grizzly Bear, Young's Special London Ale (clone)

Bottled/Conditioning:Siberian Raven Winter Ale, Cherry Tree Porter, Victoria's Dirty Secret

Drinking: Montgomery Scottish Ale, Thames American Bitter, Crow's Beak Old Ale, Bastet Brown, Carbon's Cascade Ale, Red Silo Honey IPA

Quick Reply