Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Beer staying green for a long time

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #11
Rbeckett
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I am a big suscriber to the wait at least 2 weeks before doing anything school. I let the wort sit in the fermentor unmolested for a minimum of 2 weeks at the fat part of the yeasts temp range and start checking the gravity. I wait till the gravity remains stable for a minimum of three consecutive tests at least 24 hours apart. Once the grav stabilizes I can rack it to secondary or put it into bottles or a keg to carb and age a bit. I tend to allow the brew to set out at room or ambient temp for a few days under high pressure then move it to the keezer at a lower pressure to finish up. I never consider a beer ready till it has had at least a few weeks to rest after kegging or bottling. Beer is like a woman, it will develope different flavors with time and will react poorly if rushed. So let her put on her face and paint her nails before you take her for a spin.....

Wheelchair Bob

What do you mean "no Kidneys"???, WTF now I gotta drink less beer...
Join the Automation sub forum in Electric brewing for a discussion of components and control systems. I did!!!!

Varmintman Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #12
scoundrel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

What yeast are you using? That could be the culprit. Also what is your batch size? I make 12 gallon batches, leave a gallon behind in the kettle and at least a half gallon in the fermenter. In my experience the "homebrew" taste comes from too much residual yeast in the final product. By making larger batches and 3 weeks in primary you can ensure you end up with nice clear beer. I get more than one person tell me every month that they've had homebrew and were afraid to try mine due to the weird taste they usually get. Its always nice to see their face and to get the best compliment of all. "It tastes like commercial beer."

Starter??? I don't even know her!

Old 05-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #13
goodgodilovebeer
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmartin000 View Post
Yep. Towards the end of fermentation I like to raise the temp up to 68 or so, that helps the yeast finish. Almost like a diacetyl rest. Usually about day five or so.
That's almost exactly what I do.
Whatever temperature I ferment at, I raise by 5 Fahrenheit after about 5-7 days of primary. Leave it for another 4-5 days at the higher temperature, check for TG, then cool to 35f for 7-10 days to allow yeast to flocculate. Keg and allow to rest for 2 weeks before tasting. The lighter the beer, the longer I wait to tap it (sometimes up to a month). Essentially a short lagering period.

Since I invested in a dual-stage temp controller and started doing every beer this way, that young beer flavour is no more.

Quick Reply