Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Beer needs more maltiness. Treat water?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 01:22 AM   #1
chase
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Beer needs more maltiness. Treat water?

I've been allgrain brewing for about 10 batches. I consistently have dark beers that taste thin and hollow. They lack the richness of good commercial beers. I don't think it's my recipes because I pretty much pull them straight out of Brewing Classic Styles. It only seems to be darker beers, say 12srm and darker.

I've pretty much gotten all the other variables of brewing down, and now I want to get a good handle on water treatment. I'm wondering if treating my water will help fill out my beers.

I only have part of my local water report. I guess I'm going to have to call the city to get more details, but this is what I have. What do you guys think?

Ca2+ 30ppm
Mg2+ 45ppm
Na+ 35ppm

sulphate and carbonate not tested.

1º #1: RIS
1º #2: -
2º #1: Flanders Red (2009)
2º #2: Lambic (2009)
2º #3: Flanders Red (2010)
2º #4: Lambic (2010)
2º #5: Old Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2009, 01:51 AM   #2
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How thick/thin is your mash?

From what I've read a thick mash (1 qt water : 1 lb grain) at higher temps (153-158F) will produce a maltier wort and a thin mash (1.5 qts water : 1 lb grain) at lower temps (148-153F) produces a more fermentable wort (making for a relatively dry beer, low FG).

If I'm wrong, please someone correct me.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:04 AM   #3
BigEd
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase View Post
I've been allgrain brewing for about 10 batches. I consistently have dark beers that taste thin and hollow. They lack the richness of good commercial beers. I don't think it's my recipes because I pretty much pull them straight out of Brewing Classic Styles. It only seems to be darker beers, say 12srm and darker.

I've pretty much gotten all the other variables of brewing down, and now I want to get a good handle on water treatment. I'm wondering if treating my water will help fill out my beers.

I only have part of my local water report. I guess I'm going to have to call the city to get more details, but this is what I have. What do you guys think?

Ca2+ 30ppm
Mg2+ 45ppm
Na+ 35ppm

sulphate and carbonate not tested.
I think you're right. You need to get a complete water report. Without knowing what's there to begin with you cannot know what adjustments may be needed or verify that some of your beer's problems do stem from the water.

The calcium is pretty modest but it is somewhat unusual that the magnesium has a higher ppm. Carbonate content and residual alkalinity are of topmost importance when determining adjustments, in particular for dark beers. So, in short, do what you have to do to get a complete water report.

Lack of "maltiness" could be from a number of factors. Telling us more about what styles and recipes you are brewing as well as the specific ingredients would be helpful in providing better answers to your problem. Not all beer styles are "malty" and some malts are lots "maltier" than others. Frankly, IMO, just because a recipe is in a book doesn't automatically mean it's good. There are plenty of lousy recipes out there so I don't think you can assume at this point that there is no possiblity of that being a factor in the problem.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:00 AM   #4
WorryWort
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It might be a pH issue. I might suggest 5.2 if you don't use it already.

I'd need to know more about your water to tell you for sure. But if it's low in bicarbonate that could effect both conversion, body and flavour profile when you brew dark beers, since higher SRM values can drop the pH.

The 5.2 is kind of a no-brainer, you really don't need to know your whole water profile. Maybe worth a shot.

In Kegs - Barley Wine, Apfelwein, Wild BlackBerry Wheat, Coffee Oatmeal Porter

Gone - so many :(

Old 07-29-2009, 06:31 AM   #5
LexusChris
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default more info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEd View Post
Lack of "maltiness" could be from a number of factors. Telling us more about what styles and recipes you are brewing as well as the specific ingredients would be helpful in providing better answers to your problem.
Agreed... would be helpfull to know your grain bill, mash temp, yeast type, etc...

--LexusChris

Old 07-29-2009, 06:34 AM   #6
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorryWort View Post
It might be a pH issue. I might suggest 5.2 if you don't use it already.

I'd need to know more about your water to tell you for sure. But if it's low in bicarbonate that could effect both conversion, body and flavour profile when you brew dark beers, since higher SRM values can drop the pH.

The 5.2 is kind of a no-brainer, you really don't need to know your whole water profile. Maybe worth a shot.
5.2 only corrects the pH, not the ions that are responsible for the malty, fullness, hoppyness being brought out in a beer.

It could be your water, it also could be your mash temp or your recipe, or a combination of all of the above.

Old 07-29-2009, 11:45 AM   #7
cactusgarrett
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Cl:SO4 ratio would help, too. Get that water tested.

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Old 07-29-2009, 01:20 PM   #8
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3076 Times on 1935 Posts
Likes Given: 2617

Carapils.

Mash @158.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:32 PM   #9
WorryWort
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k View Post
5.2 only corrects the pH, not the ions that are responsible for the malty, fullness, hoppyness being brought out in a beer.
Please read my full post. I am aware it only corrects the pH, which is why I proposed it as a solution to what I said might be a pH issue.

In Kegs - Barley Wine, Apfelwein, Wild BlackBerry Wheat, Coffee Oatmeal Porter

Gone - so many :(

Old 07-29-2009, 06:01 PM   #10
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorryWort View Post
Please read my full post. I am aware it only corrects the pH, which is why I proposed it as a solution to what I said might be a pH issue.
how does pH effect maltyness?

Quick Reply