Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Been getting poor effeciency, after a year of AG brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2008, 10:43 PM   #1
Anbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Been getting poor effeciency, after a year of AG brewing

Before I get into it, let me say I did RTFM, I just got done reading the efficiency sticky

I switched to AG about a year ago. I usually hit a horrendous 60% effeciency. I have had as low as 49% (RIS) and as high as 69% (don't remember the beer). I have investigated numerous causes, and I'm starting to think it's my mash tun.

I use a coleman 5-day 70qt rectangular cooler with a bazooka screen. I'm starting to think I need to construct a CPVC manifold in order to get better effeciencies. I mean...the bazooka screen doesn't go very far into the cooler...at all.

Things I've tried to improve efficiency:
Using 5-star PH stabilizer
Continuous sparging
Batch sparging (numerous methods)

This is all really frustrating, mainly because I got through excessive amounts of grain which hurts the ol' wallet

Any tips?

My semi-regularly updated beer blog: PremiumBitter
PRIMARY 1: Baltic Porter | WLP001
PRIMARY 2: Chocolate-Spearmint Winter Warmer | WLP028
SECONDARY: Spokane Falls Fresh Hop Ale (IPA) | WLP001/WLP028 (Amarillo/Columbus dry hop)
KEGS:
Liberator Doppelbock
Yellow Marmot Ale (Golden Ale) | WLP001
Yellow Marmot Ale (Golden Ale) | WLP028
UPCOMING: Premium Bitter, Imperial Steam Beer, Strong Scotch Ale, Munich Helles, Schwartz Bier, Rauch Bier

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2008, 10:45 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 942 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 28

I know you read "the manual" but read the all grain primer in my sig... without knowing your exact experiences with batch sparging, it's the best I can do right now.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 09-29-2008, 10:49 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4367 Times on 3175 Posts
Likes Given: 850

My efficiency sucks also- but I am generally around 68-70% now. I blame it on the grain crush- I don't have my own mill. When I bought grain from a different LHBS while traveling, I got 55%! Now, I buy 80% of my crushed grain from austinhomebrew.com, and consistently hit 68-70%. To me, consistency is more important than the actual number, anyway. I'd be very upset if I got 55% one time and 85% another time!

Old 09-29-2008, 10:51 PM   #4
Anbrew
Recipes 

Ah yes, grain crush:
I have gotten grain from austinhomebrew, LHBS, and my own barley crusher at stock settings...doesn't seem to make much difference.

SECONDARY: Spokane Falls Fresh Hop Ale (IPA) | WLP001/WLP028 (Amarillo/Columbus dry hop)
KEGS:
Liberator Doppelbock
UPCOMING: Premium Bitter, Imperial Steam Beer, Strong Scotch Ale, Munich Helles, Schwartz Bier, Rauch Bier

Old 09-29-2008, 10:52 PM   #5
Anbrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I know you read "the manual" but read the all grain primer in my sig... without knowing your exact experiences with batch sparging, it's the best I can do right now.
Thank you very much, reading it now.

KEGS:
Liberator Doppelbock

Old 09-30-2008, 04:55 AM   #6
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Here are two other sources of information you might find useful:

Maximizing Efficiency when Batch Sparging - Home Brew Forums

Batch Sparging Analysis - German Brewing Techniques

Old 09-30-2008, 03:55 PM   #7
TeleTwanger
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I went from about 65% to 75-80% by instead of adding grain to water I add water to the grain. I'm not sure why I was doing the opposite but once I stopped my effiency problems were fixed.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:23 PM   #8
BigKahuna
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
To me, consistency is more important than the actual number, anyway. I'd be very upset if I got 55% one time and 85% another time!
I brewed 3 last weekend...and I got 55% then 70% Then 74.5%
Good thing I brew with the intent of "Good Beer" on the back end and not exact guidelines or the satisfaction of hitting numbers on the front end.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #9
JMD87
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anbrew View Post
Before I get into it, let me say I did RTFM, I just got done reading the efficiency sticky

I use a coleman 5-day 70qt rectangular cooler with a bazooka screen. I'm starting to think I need to construct a CPVC manifold in order to get better effeciencies. I mean...the bazooka screen doesn't go very far into the cooler...at all.

Any tips?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but whether you use a bazooka screen/manifold or ss braid, the only purpose for those items are to seperate the grain from the wort. It should have nothing to do with efficiency (unless you're not draining completely)

Not to beat a dead horse (add picture) I just posted this in another thread too, I use my LHBS to mill my grain. They just recently adjusted their mill. I went from a constant 75-77%, to 88% on my last batch. It's the only thing I did different.

I also use Bobby_M's Double batch sparge method.

I suggest you adjust the stock settings on your barely crusher until you get a real nice crush with a lot of flour.
Bottle Conditioning- Marzen
Drinking- Amarillo Pale,Oatmeal Stout
On Deck - Porter, Helles

Old 09-30-2008, 04:54 PM   #10
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I just built my new tun using the same cooler. I have only done one brew on it so far (9-9-9) but my manifold should be fine for batch or fly sparging as I carefully designed it to avoid channeling.

Copper is *&@% expensive, my cost to build that manifold was about $90, hot water CPVC would be a lot cheaper if you want to give it a try. The tubing I used is 3/4". Only the long pieces have slots every 1/2". The cross pieces have no slots since the tees are nearly against the end of the cooler.

Have you calculated your mash efficiency (see link in my sig). If you aren't getting complete conversion for some reason all the sparging in the world won't get you where you want to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Last edited by Saccharomyces; 09-30-2008 at 04:57 PM.

Quick Reply