Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Beefing up the grain bill to account for efficiency problems

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #51
Mb2658
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

No. If you get your own mill you can mill it again to your liking. Keep your eyes open for Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals. This is a great time of the year for deals. Check out sites like Homebrewfinds.com and keep an eye on the classified forums here. Great deals pop up regularly. Good luck!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #52
adamjackson
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 162

I'm on Midwest now, which kind should I get?

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/all-g...ain-mills.html

I won't buy today but curious what you all recommend. I'd like one that I can put a screw driver into so I can just mill electricly without cranking for 2 hours.

I'm doing a stout next week which is 18 pounds of grain. Don't want to do by hand!!!

I'm a bit crazy...about beer.
My Beer Blog
My Beer Photos
Untappd Profile

Old 11-22-2012, 05:42 PM   #53
Mb2658
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjackson
I'm on Midwest now, which kind should I get?

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/all-g...ain-mills.html

I won't buy today but curious what you all recommend. I'd like one that I can put a screw driver into so I can just mill electricly without cranking for 2 hours.

I'm doing a stout next week which is 18 pounds of grain. Don't want to do by hand!!!
Well, it depends on a lot of things. First and foremost is your budget and second is your preference. A lot of people start with a Victoria style mill and then move up to a roller mill. Some people go all in and buy the biggest and most expensive 3 roller stainless steel mill that they can find. I started with a Victoria mill and then moved up to a Cereal Killer from Adventures in Homebrewing. I had some warranty issues with that mill and so I returned it (I can't say enough good things about the guys at Adventures in Homebrewing BTW) and got a 3 roller Crankandstein mill. You can get a good crush with all of the mills that I have mentioned. My list is not all inclusive. There are various other mills that people love and have had good success with.. I would recommend that you do some research and find what works for you. There are a lot of threads discussing the advantages and disadvantages of the various options.

Old 11-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #54
RoadKing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

I have a barley crusher and and it works great, but I read the monsters are better in the long run, but more expensive.
There are alot of threads here comparing them.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #55
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I don't have a crusher yet, but my advice would be to think about how seriously you take the hobby and whether you're sure to continue with it for a long time. If so, then just bite the bullet (or wait and save up if necessary) and get a mid-to-high range crusher. In my experience, if I get a low-end one to start, I just end up wanting to replace it in the end, so I'd have saved that cost if I had been more patient. It's only $100ish between the cheap and middle of the pack of the better ones. That is a substantial amount, but compared to the cost of brewing, it's not enormous. If you brew monthly, just move to every 6 weeks for a year and you'll have recouped the expense.

But, some people do have great success with the cheaper mills...

Old 11-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #56
foos-n-brew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use a 1/2" drill to power my Barley Crusher and it works just fine. You can get more elaborate with a motor but either beats cranking it by hand.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:07 PM   #57
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I have a 20$ ebay corona style mill and I get excellent efficiency.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #58
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Holy moly...just looked at the "crush" pics on your flickr...wow, that's not even crushed, really. Horrid. Not acceptable

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 11-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #59
BryanJ
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Your crush is the problem here like a few others have said, fix your crush by either getting a mill or ordering from a different supplier. You're not a bad home brewer its not the process of brewing the beer is not the cause for a low eff at this point, that crush is beyond terrible.

For mills in my opinion either use a corona mill or spend the extra to get a nice stainless steel monster mill.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #60
adamjackson
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanJ View Post
Your crush is the problem here like a few others have said, fix your crush by either getting a mill or ordering from a different supplier. You're not a bad home brewer its not the process of brewing the beer is not the cause for a low eff at this point, that crush is beyond terrible.

For mills in my opinion either use a corona mill or spend the extra to get a nice stainless steel monster mill.
I brewed again yesterday but this time, had a local buddy recrush my grains. Hit my gravity spot on. It went great and tasted great.

This reminds me...my BIAB foul ups were also by the book with grain from Midwest. So, from now on, I'll order from northern brewer and start researching my own grain mill.

Thanks all. I never would have known that the grain wasn't crushed properly.

I'm a bit crazy...about beer.
My Beer Blog
My Beer Photos
Untappd Profile

Quick Reply