Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Beano -- who needs it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2009, 06:16 PM   #11
korrosion
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I just recently brewed up a batch of my Red Ale. It was a ten gallon batch that I mashed at low temp for 75 minutes. I mashed low due to the large amount of crystal malt in the grain bill. Anyway the mash started at 151 and dropped to 147 then I fly sparged for 1 hour and 15 minutes without a mashout as my mash tun was full. OG was measured at 1.066 temp and distilled water corrected. I pitched two packages of US-05 Dry yeast and one week later it's at 1.008! That's 7.7% ABV!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2009, 06:21 PM   #12
Brewmasters Warehouse
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_g View Post
I read a thread about using beano, and one of the problems people had was a fermentation the went on indefinitely. They were adding beano to the primary or secondary. It's like the beano works slow, but just keeps on going. It seems to me that you want to be able to stop enzyme activity before fermenting. Otherwise, there's a risk of bottle bombs or you have to wait forever before bottling.

I think a person could accomplish the same thing with the mash by making the right adjustments.

You are correct that Beano does work slow, and you really do not know when it is going to stop. A brewer should never start a batch with the thought of using Beano in the beer. Beano should only be used as a last desperate measure trying to save a batch.

Purchase a recipe with Brew Builder and save 10% off the recipe. Use discount code: BBBYO

Become a fan of BMW on Facebook.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:46 PM   #13
brian_g
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewmasters Warehouse View Post
You are correct that Beano does work slow, and you really do not know when it is going to stop. A brewer should never start a batch with the thought of using Beano in the beer. Beano should only be used as a last desperate measure trying to save a batch.
I guess it's hard for me to see how a batch could be so bad that it's worth the uncertainty of beano and yet not so bad that it can't be fixed. My first few batches I tried to "fix" them. I'm becoming of the mindset that it's almost always better leaving it alone.

Old 06-29-2009, 06:52 PM   #14
patrck17
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I think I am a little unfamilier on my mash 101, but using context clues can I assume that a lower temperature, longer mash time will yield a lower FG and basicly a stronger dryer beer?

Build thread: Another (mostly) stainless HERMS build!

Old 06-29-2009, 06:52 PM   #15
Brewmasters Warehouse
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
I guess it's hard for me to see how a batch could be so bad that it's worth the uncertainty of beano and yet not so bad that it can't be fixed. My first few batches I tried to "fix" them. I'm becoming of the mindset that it's almost always better leaving it alone.
I totally agree. I have never used Beano in a batch. I think too many times people try to "fix" there brews only to make things worse. If it is infected and undrinkable then pitch and get back to brewing. Leave your brew alone and enjoy it, even if it is flawed.

Purchase a recipe with Brew Builder and save 10% off the recipe. Use discount code: BBBYO

Become a fan of BMW on Facebook.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:50 PM   #16
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3732 Times on 2295 Posts
Likes Given: 3231

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrck17 View Post
I think I am a little unfamilier on my mash 101, but using context clues can I assume that a lower temperature, longer mash time will yield a lower FG and basicly a stronger dryer beer?
... Zactly ...

Old 06-29-2009, 07:54 PM   #17
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3732 Times on 2295 Posts
Likes Given: 3231

Quote:
Adding sorbate will stop the yeasties. Once the beano hits the target FG, add sorbate, then keg. NO BOTTLING with sorbate as the bottles will never carbonate naturally. I have not used beano or sorbate, but I would try it just to say I did, once.

I let most of mine go without fiddling, but many I mess with. I consider it experimental, plus I just have to play with them all the time; I consider it part of the fun.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:05 AM   #18
brian_g
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrck17 View Post
Read this, it explains.

How to Brew - By John Palmer - How the Mash Works
and

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Mashing Defined

But yes varying your temperature affect your FG. If you mash on the higher end you end up with a sweeter beer. If you mash on the lower end you get a dryer, higher alcohol beer.

This has to be done within reason. Too high and you'll destroy the enzymes. Too low and there wont be enough enzyme activity to convert the starches. If you go to either extreme you could end up making an O'Douls clone.

Old 06-30-2009, 12:13 AM   #19
STB
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Beano was recommended by Jamil as a tip for doing his Belgian Strong Golden Ale.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:40 PM   #20
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 132 Posts

Quote:
why mess with beno and not play with your mash?
Because Beano can breakdown complex sugars that the mash enzymes can't. Both alpha and beta amylase are self-limiting. If you want a low-carbohydrate beer, alpha galactosidase will do the trick.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply