Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Batch Sparging: what's your setup like?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #71
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 503 Times on 418 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBeer View Post
My setup is pretty ghetto, but gets the job done:

Send first runnings to bottling bucket....
Just a FWIW, best not to use your bottling bucket for transfers of unboiled wort, as the fresh wort is loaded w/ lacto bugs...I know you will sanitize before use as a bottling bucket, just not best practice...better to get a spare bucket for that purpose IMO...

Hot and Cold side of the brewery should not mix equipment for sanitation reasons.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #72
Esmitee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
The pump and amp are both remote controlled. The amp plays mp3 from USB.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-4...-12-00_787.jpg
Hell yes, The Speakers are the 1 st "Brewing Tool" I use. Gotta have the tunes on. Never seen a set-up with "Built-In" Sound system. Awesome.

Old 01-28-2013, 03:43 PM   #73
seyahmit
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Here is my 10 gallon batch sparge system. I also have a couple other smaller pots I use for heating extra water.

brewsystem.jpg  

Old 01-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #74
BassBeer
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally posted by Yambor44
Stay where you're at! Simple is better IMO. I've been around the world from where you're at, to a Brutus 10 setup, to a 50L Braumeister and back again. I love the simplicity of a basic system like you (and I once again) have. It makes great beer and there is much less to clean at the end of a brew day.
Great to hear! I've thought about how much money I could potentially spend, which is frightening, and decided to stick with what I've got for the most part. I do want to start doing 10gal batches, which will be possible with my keggle, and I'll probably need a new chiller since my IC is only 25'. Otherwise I plan to continue making phenomenal beer with the simple setup I have. Cheers to keeping it simple!

Quote:
Originally posted by wilserbrewer
Just a FWIW, best not to use your bottling bucket for transfers of unboiled wort, as the fresh wort is loaded w/ lacto bugs...I know you will sanitize before use as a bottling bucket, just not best practice...better to get a spare bucket for that purpose IMO...

Hot and Cold side of the brewery should not mix equipment for sanitation reasons.
Thanks for the tip! I never knew that about unboiled wort. I actually keg and if I need to bottle I use a beer gun, so the bottling bucket is only used for transferring wort from the MLT to the BK, and hauling water around. Is it really that easy for the lactobacteria to get into the plastic? Really good to know nonetheless.

Old 01-29-2013, 04:05 PM   #75
Ruffins
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Keep it simple

I mash and sparg from the same equipment...an old commercial coffee urn. I put a digital temp controller on it and it will hold whatever temp i want for as long as i want it to. I sparg from the sprayer that was used to brew coffee. I also have it set up as a RIM system, works like a charm.

brewer.jpg  
Old 01-29-2013, 07:12 PM   #76
Polboy
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

THis is one cool setup, what size batches can u make?

Old 01-29-2013, 10:27 PM   #77
Piratwolf
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44

Stay where you're at! Simple is better IMO. I've been around the world from where you're at, to a Brutus 10 setup, to a 50L Braumeister and back again. I love the simplicity of a basic system like you (and I once again) have. It makes great beer and there is much less to clean at the end of a brew day.
Glad to see someone with experience say this. I get equipment envy when I go see my brew club friends' set ups, but I'm not sure their beer is any better than what my ghetto rig turns out. Reminds me of some golfers--"If I only had that $750 driver, my game would finally come together.". But I think the hot side is only 25% of the game--fermentation makes good beer!

Cheers!

jmendez29: Haha! I get it! :ban:
Wait. You're not talking about beer, right?
You're talking about beer. That could have been a whole lot more fun.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:28 PM   #78
ForestGroveBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 30

My setup

img_1488.jpg  

Old 01-29-2013, 11:36 PM   #79
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratwolf View Post
Glad to see someone with experience say this. I get equipment envy when I go see my brew club friends' set ups, but I'm not sure their beer is any better than what my ghetto rig turns out. Reminds me of some golfers--"If I only had that $750 driver, my game would finally come together.". But I think the hot side is only 25% of the game--fermentation makes good beer!

Cheers!
Exactly. What helped me to come around is a friend who has been brewing for 15-20 years and has made over 450 batches (that's a batch at least every 2 weeks and most 10 gallons) stays "old school" as I like to call it.

But....check out Denny's site. He's up there with the best in this "hobby" (even has his own yeast) and unless he hasn't updated recently, stays very "old school"!

MUCH less to hassle with and way easier come time to clean!

http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/

Old 01-30-2013, 12:19 PM   #80
harpdog
Recipes 

I have a round 10 gallon mash tun, and bought a cheap 5 gallon water jug/cooler for the sparge water.
While my mash is going on, I heat sparge water in my boil kettle. When that is up to the temp I want (usually over the mash out temp) I then pour it into the second (5 gallon) water cooler to hold temp till used.
Drain the first mash runnings into the boil kettle, then dip the sparge water out with a pitcher until I can lift and dump the rest into the mash tun for the mash-out/sparge.

Quick Reply