Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Batch Sparging: what's your setup like?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #11
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 438 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL_Brewer View Post
If you collect wort in a bucket, use a bottling bucket. This way you can slap some tubing on the spigot and gravity drain the wort into your kettle to avoid excessive aeration.
I've been experimenting with pouring from a collection bucket into the kettle on the last 6 batches. No problems noted.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #12
bueschen
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWulf View Post
I am looking forward to my first AG brew next week and had a question about batch sparging.

My setup is basically a 9gal brew kettle and a cooler mash tun. My question is: what is your hardware and process for batch sparging?

My initial thoughts was that I would be fine with a single kettle and MLT, but it seems I will need an extra vessel for either boiling water OR collecting the wort between batches.

I was thinking of using a plastic pail to collect the wort, but I would be worried about aerating the wort when putting it back in the BK. Now I am thinking of just getting another large kettle for boiling water, I was just hoping to avoid that expense.

Thoughts? What do you do?
Am I the only one who doesn't worry about aeration at this point? I mean after my mash and sparge are done I put my wort into my boiling kettle and it rolls around for 60+ minutes. Am I wrong in thinking that boiling forces most of the oxygen out of my wort anyway? Then, when the boil is done and I have chilled the wort and pitched the yeast I try my best to get as much aeration as possible to give the yeast a nice environment to do their thing. Am I completely off base here???

Old 01-08-2013, 09:43 PM   #13
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bueschen View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't worry about aeration at this point? I mean after my mash and sparge are done I put my wort into my boiling kettle and it rolls around for 60+ minutes. Am I wrong in thinking that boiling forces most of the oxygen out of my wort anyway? Then, when the boil is done and I have chilled the wort and pitched the yeast I try my best to get as much aeration as possible to give the yeast a nice environment to do their thing. Am I completely off base here???
I have never worried about it. My fermenter takes my first runnings, sparge runnings go into BK, then fermenter runnings go in to BK and boil away.

Never had any issues. I dont splash the **** out of it, but i just pour it in.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:23 AM   #14
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 321

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I've been experimenting with pouring from a collection bucket into the kettle on the last 6 batches. No problems noted.
I know where you're coming from. HSA is really not that big of a worry. My wort gets exposed to plenty of oxygen pre-boil when I brew larger batches and I've never had a problem. Just answering the OP's question. That's how I do it for 5 gallon batches since it's not that much more trouble to drain thorugh a spigot for peace of mind.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:34 AM   #15
Natdavis777
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I have two buckets with volume markers on the side to collect the wort while the sparge water is heating in the brew kettle. After I get my first runoff, I set the mash tun back on the floor, dump in the sparge water, and put my first runoff into the brew kettle. Never needed an extra pot. Plus the buckets help me gauge if Im hitting my volumes by seeing how many gal I collect.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:53 AM   #16
billl
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 7

+1 for the bottling bucket for transfer and temp storage. It also has pre-marked gallon measurements for double checking sparge volumes. Hot side aeration may be overstated, but I'm not a fan of pouring gallons of hot, sticky wort.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:27 AM   #17
45_70sharps
Recipes 

Liked 172 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 136

I have a second pot for sparge water.
Easy that way.

Let's see if I keep this updated!

On tap
Black Butte clone

In secondary
Pumpkin ale

In primary
Honey wit

Up next.. Firestone Union Jack clone

LoloMT7 Likes This 
Old 01-09-2013, 02:40 AM   #18
trv
Recipes 

I have 1 boil kettle and two 10 gal round coolers. I heat the strike water and dump it into the mash tun. Then heat more water and dump it into the 2nd cooler for my sparge water. By the time the 1st cooler can be drained into the boil kettle, the second cooler will stay hot enough to batch sparge, just dump it in and mix.

Old 01-09-2013, 02:43 AM   #19
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I also use my bottling bucket. Comes in handy with measurements and saves me from buying more equipment.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:21 AM   #20
Polboy
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

this is my setup (of course barrel and boxes are not there when in use), it is very convenient to use, add water to the top keg (through hose with carbon filter), heat water, drain into the mash tun, drain mash tun into bottom keg, repeat whole process for sparging

dsc_0277.jpg  

Quick Reply