Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Batch Sparging: what's your setup like?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2013, 05:24 PM   #141
Denny
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by daggers_nz View Post
cool. one more thing, I was told not to stir the grain bed when batch or fly sparging?
For batch sparging, you need to stir thoroughly after adding the water for either the mash or the sparge. No stirring during the mash or sparge, though.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2013, 09:04 PM   #142
rycollier
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default A kettle come with turkey fryers

I got my second kettle packaged with a turkey fryer at the HD. I definitely recommend a turkey fryer if you don't have one. 6-7 gallons of water don't boil for a while on most stoves.
Anyways, I use the Denny method. It works great for me. I just send my second running right out of the mash tun into the first that is already heating on the burner too.
The two chillers, one in the ice bath, works great too. Use some rock salt in the ice and you will get colder water returned. You can find salt that's for ice cream machines. Its meant for that sort of thing. I tried salt today for the first time and got better results. Also, I got the cheapest smallest copper chillers out there and they take twice as long to chill wort than what trapae mentioned using the same ice method. Just a thought.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:07 AM   #143
Polboy
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Its around 6ft from the ground, it was gravity feed system so i needed to have BK high as possible but now with one pump i could lower everything by ft+. I use step stool to mix the mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubasteve1782 View Post
how high off the ground do you have the mash tun? Seems like it would be hard to stir. does the mash tun have a thermometer?

directed to POLBOY

Quick Reply