Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > batch sparging times
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
lokiua4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: mass
Posts: 55
Default batch sparging times

alright here is the deal.i am seriously contemplating moving on to AG brewing and have decided that i want to batch sparge vs fly sparging.i have read a ton and watched videos on doing this and pretty much get it.step your grains for 1hr or so then add your first batch of sparge water to that ,mix and let it sit for 10 min or so.reciculate and then do your first run off.then add your second batch of water,mix well,but now here is my question.evreywhere i have looked nobody says how long they let it sit befor the second run off?other than that question i am doing this correct right?

__________________
lokiua4 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
Pappers_
Moderator
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Pappers_'s Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 11,768
Liked 936 Times on 665 Posts
Likes Given: 2007

Default

There is a diversity of practices. Some let the grain sit in the sparge water, as you suggest, for both sparges. Others drain the wort out right away after adding the sparge water. I tend towards draining more quickly.

Pappers_ is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #3
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
 
wilserbrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Jersey Shore, Jersey
Posts: 6,679
Liked 439 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

IMHO, it is more critical to thoroughly stir in the sparge water to fully rinse the grain bed, than letting the mash sit for a prescribed period of time.

wilserbrewer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
david_42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Willamina & Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,651
Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

Default

Stir, 10 minutes of recirc, then drain.

__________________

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

david_42 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 03:23 PM   #5
nebben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Now legal in Utah
Posts: 1,188
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

What I've eventually settled on with batch sparging is roughly this:

  • Add strike water into your mash tun, if a cooler, add ~10F hotter than your target strike temp. It is easier to allow the cooler/tun to cool off a few degrees than to add hot water and screw the volume up.
  • Once the water in your mashtun is at strike temp, dough in, stir for a few minutes to get it all mixed in, then cover and wait.
  • Stir a few times during the mash period.
  • At 60 min, I usually add some redetermined about of boiling water for mash-out, in an attemt to get the mash up to about 170F.
  • I'll wait 10 min, vorlauf, then drain into my boil kettle.
  • Once completely drained, I'll measure the volume of liquid in my kettle. The difference between that and my target boil volume will be added into the mash tun at about 170-175F for sparge.
  • I'll stir that again, wait a few minutes, then drain completely into the kettle.

Your mileage may vary!
__________________
nebben is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 03:43 PM   #6
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Lil' Sparky's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Honolulu, HI
Posts: 4,013
Liked 50 Times on 33 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
IMHO, it is more critical to thoroughly stir in the sparge water to fully rinse the grain bed, than letting the mash sit for a prescribed period of time.
I'll firmly agree with this. Stir until you're tired of stirring. Then once you've vorlaufed until your runnings are clear, the sparge water's been there more than long enough, so drain away.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffman2 View Post
I dub this beer the Double Slutty Triple Nutty Bodacious Booty Brunette!
Lil' Sparky is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 03:45 PM   #7
chemman14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Newbury Park, CA
Posts: 1,505
Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 83

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebben View Post
What I've eventually settled on with batch sparging is roughly this:
  • Add strike water into your mash tun, if a cooler, add ~10F hotter than your target strike temp. It is easier to allow the cooler/tun to cool off a few degrees than to add hot water and screw the volume up.
  • Once the water in your mashtun is at strike temp, dough in, stir for a few minutes to get it all mixed in, then cover and wait.
  • Stir a few times during the mash period.
  • At 60 min, I usually add some redetermined about of boiling water for mash-out, in an attemt to get the mash up to about 170F.
  • I'll wait 10 min, vorlauf, then drain into my boil kettle.
  • Once completely drained, I'll measure the volume of liquid in my kettle. The difference between that and my target boil volume will be added into the mash tun at about 170-175F for sparge.
  • I'll stir that again, wait a few minutes, then drain completely into the kettle.

Your mileage may vary!
and you dont have to worry about wort loss to grain because it is already saturated, correct?
edit: how do you measure your hot sparge water?
__________________
chemman14 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
Berkbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 75
Default

My system is a little less complicated. When my mash time is over I stir the mash check temp and take first runnings. I then add half my sparge water at 180 degrees stir for 2 minutes and drain. Then add the second half now closer to 170 degrees stir for 2 minutes and drain. l vorlauf each time. Gets me to about 75-78% efficiency.

__________________
Lily Goat Brewery
Berkeley, California


Primary 1 - Dry
Primary 2 - Dry
Secondary - Dry
Tap 1 - California Common Hoppy Red
Tap 2 - Oatmeal Stout
Tap 3 - James IPA - Dry Hopping
Tap 4 - Dry
Berkbeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #9
fartingdog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Oakland, CA
Posts: 106
Default

Add strike water, stir well. wait til conversion is done (I find I can reach conversion in 30 min, but usually let it go longer to do other tasks), vorlauf and runoff.

Add strike water, stir, let sit 5-10 min to set grainbed, vorlauf and runoff.

No need for 3 water additions, IMO. 2 is sufficient.

FWIW I average 80-90% eff. In full disclosure I actually recirc for 10-15 min vs. vorlauf- the joys of a pump!

__________________

Being drunk is the best feeling in my poor world. - Drinky Crow

fartingdog is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2010, 05:19 PM   #10
Berkbeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 75
Default

I have considered dropping the second addition and will probably give it a try on the next batch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fartingdog View Post
Add strike water, stir well. wait til conversion is done (I find I can reach conversion in 30 min, but usually let it go longer to do other tasks), vorlauf and runoff.

Add strike water, stir, let sit 5-10 min to set grainbed, vorlauf and runoff.

No need for 3 water additions, IMO. 2 is sufficient.

FWIW I average 80-90% eff. In full disclosure I actually recirc for 10-15 min vs. vorlauf- the joys of a pump!
__________________
Lily Goat Brewery
Berkeley, California


Primary 1 - Dry
Primary 2 - Dry
Secondary - Dry
Tap 1 - California Common Hoppy Red
Tap 2 - Oatmeal Stout
Tap 3 - James IPA - Dry Hopping
Tap 4 - Dry
Berkbeer is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply



Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Batch sparge times... riored4v All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 21 05-27-2009 04:50 PM
Batch Sparging modenacart All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 7 01-12-2009 01:38 AM
how many times can I use a batch of oxi clean? fishnfever Equipment/Sanitation 6 05-03-2008 02:36 AM
Batch sparge times Cos All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 7 02-10-2008 02:59 PM
Fly Sparging Vs. Batch Sparging New2HomeBrew All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 28 08-08-2007 05:25 PM