Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > batch sparging questions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
Ondori
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default batch sparging questions

I was wondering how long you guys usually let your batch sparges rest and how many batches you guys were doing. Yesterday I did my first AG batch, and I did a single batch sparge and let it rest for about 20 minutes.

My day went pretty well, but I came up a little bit short on efficiency. I think I may have judged my water incorrectly eventhough I followed iBrewmaster. I need to do some tests and see how much dead space I really have on my equipment.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4281 Times on 3120 Posts
Likes Given: 828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ondori View Post
I was wondering how long you guys usually let your batch sparges rest and how many batches you guys were doing. Yesterday I did my first AG batch, and I did a single batch sparge and let it rest for about 20 minutes.

My day went pretty well, but I came up a little bit short on efficiency. I think I may have judged my water incorrectly eventhough I followed iBrewmaster. I need to do some tests and see how much dead space I really have on my equipment.
You don't have to let it "rest" at all. Just stir in the sparge water, stir some more, and then stir yet again. It's the stirring that "knocks" the sugars loose, so you can't stir too much. Then vorlauf and drain. You can crack open the valve slowly at first while you vorlauf, then just let 'er rip. It should take a total of about 5 minutes.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
mdgagne
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

I let mine sit for 10 mins bit that's not entirely necessary.

The easiest way to improve your efficiency is to check the crush of your malt. There are a bunch posts here about determining the best crush. The most important thing about efficiency is being consistent. Higher efficiency does not mean better beer.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 651 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I sparge twice only because my cooler is not large enough for a single sparge. I do not vorlauf as well since I got a strainer bag stretched over my brew pot filtering the little bit of stuff that does come through. Nope I pretty much open her full blast right from the start and run it till she stops fill her up stir like a madman and let her rip again.

I get 80 plus percent doing it this way all the time

Old 01-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
Ondori
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

Hmm, maybe that is where I went wrong. I did not stir it at all really. Got it mixed up, let it rest for about 20, and then just ran it off. Next time I will go crazy lol

Old 01-13-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
Varmintman
Recipes 

Liked 651 Times on 408 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Man when you mash in beat it like a red headed step child that owes you money and do the same for the sparge. It is amazing how hard you have to stir to get a good mix digging the grains up and such.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4281 Times on 3120 Posts
Likes Given: 828

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ondori View Post
Hmm, maybe that is where I went wrong. I did not stir it at all really. Got it mixed up, let it rest for about 20, and then just ran it off. Next time I will go crazy lol
Well, next time stir it like it owes you money. Then again, and again. It's the stirring that actually gets the sugars out for you.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:30 AM   #8
PhelanKA7
Relax? RELAX?!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 100 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 202

I've read somewhere that stirring so vigorously that you produce a froth on top of the mash is a bad thing. Is that BS I take?

Old 01-14-2013, 03:40 AM   #9
billl
Recipes 

Liked 256 Times on 216 Posts

Hot side aeration is up for debate, but the general consensus seems to be the vigorous stirring isn't enough to really cause problems. Hot liquids are really bad at absorbing gas and you head straight to the boil an remove any O2. Most big breweries whirlpool their hot wort for at least 30 minutes with no ill effects.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #10
ApothecaryBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did my first AG this weekend and did a batch sparge in 2 stages. I didn't stir much at all and came out with about 65% efficiency.

I will stir like the devil next time around. Anyone run into issues with moving their SS braid around so that it no longer sits on the bottom and that effects efficiency in the end?

Quick Reply