Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Batch Sparging Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2009, 09:06 PM   #1
Wild Duk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Batch Sparging Question

For those of you who batch sparge, how many do you do??? 1,2, ect....

Up until now I've been mashing at 1.5 qts per pound, then knowing how much total water I need, batch sparging with the difference....Its usually been 2 sparges around 2-4 galons per.

I've been getting good efficiency, but maybe too good.....I'm thinking that maybe I'm sparging too much and getting unwanted flavors out of the mash near the end of the second sparge????

I heard that you total water used for mash and sparging should not exceed 3.3 qts per pound.....

Ideas....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2009, 10:57 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

I use two equal sparges, based on the amount I need to start the boil. pH 5.2 in the sparge water ensures there is no tannin extraction.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-22-2009, 11:01 PM   #3
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 957 Times on 680 Posts
Likes Given: 2026

Two batch sparges, equal amounts, to bring it up to the correct boil volume.

Old 09-22-2009, 11:18 PM   #4
mrk305
Beer Dude in the Sunset
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I use two different size pots. For my first sparge I use the big one and stir like crazy for maybe five minutes. The second pot is smaller, and I just stir a lot, but not 5 minutes, because I already got most of the good stuff out of it.

My stike water is 172, and that ends up being 151 after 15 minutes. I sparge with 185 twice for 15 minutes each and that ends up being 170 after resting a few. Pretty much depends on what you have.

The reasoning is because this is what I have and it doesn't really make that much difference. Just so you end up with the right boil volume. I do 8 gallon boils for 90 minutes and end up with 6 gallons.

I also don't worry about efficiency. I just buy more grains. I probably don't do anything correctly except for making really good beer.

Any advise offered after 10:00p.m. should be regarded as questionable
I can't brew until something is empty

Old 09-23-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 438 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Duk View Post
For those of you who batch sparge, how many do you do??? 1,2, ect....

Up until now I've been mashing at 1.5 qts per pound, then knowing how much total water I need, batch sparging with the difference....Its usually been 2 sparges around 2-4 galons per.

I've been getting good efficiency, but maybe too good.....I'm thinking that maybe I'm sparging too much and getting unwanted flavors out of the mash near the end of the second sparge????

I heard that you total water used for mash and sparging should not exceed 3.3 qts per pound.....

Ideas....
I do a single batch sparge unless there are unusual circumstances. I average 84% efficiency, so I don't see the point in doing more than that. So, you're _thinking_ that you;re getting unwanted flavors? You're not _tasting_ unwanted flavors? I think you're thinking too much! And I've never heard of "don't excedd a total of 3.3 qt./;lb." thing....you do whatever you need to do.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Quick Reply