Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Batch Sparging question.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2009, 03:50 AM   #1
JOHN51277
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts

Default Batch Sparging question.

Ok, I have just gone from extraxt/partial grain. to all grain. I just made a 10 gallon Igloo sparging vessel, and just cut the top off of a sanke keg, and ordered the ball valve and sight glass.
I want to know if I order an all grain kit, will I need to order extra grain because of the lower extraction rate? Or is the % not that much off? I am confused about this part. Or is there a certain way I order when Batch Sparging?

JJ

On Deck: Centennial Blonde, Midnight IIPA
Primary: SMaSH Citra/2 Row, KBS Clone
Secondary: ???
Kegged:
Bottled: Gulf Oil Spill Stout, Breakfast Stout, Amarillo SMaSH, Orange Wit, RIPA Oak/Bourbon Aged, Barleywine, Apfelwein,

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2009, 03:56 AM   #2
Brett3rThanU
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Generally they sell all-grain kits based on 70% or 75% I believe, regardless whether you batch or fly sparge. If you think you'll do worse than that just order an extra pound or two of base grain to adjust for efficiency difference. Invest in Beersmith and it'll make your job MUCH easier adjusting for efficiency.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:58 AM   #3
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 9 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 543 Times on 446 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Ok I'll try and give you the skinny, sounds like you have a sound approach laid out. Don't think I would start ordering extra grain just yet...try a batch and check gravity to see what kind of extraction you are running...kind of a bit of trial and error.

No worries really, if you want you can check a preboil gravity and just perhaps boil longer if you are low. Even a missed gravity beer will still be tasty, so don't fret if trouble arises.

before long w/ a little experience you will be grinding your own. Go ahead and get your feet wet and report back.

Mike

Old 09-09-2009, 04:12 AM   #4
JOHN51277

Recipes 

I have Beersmith as of a few days ago. I am still figuring it out. As far as I have figured out, you can build a recipe by taking a "sample recipe" and crafting one with similar gravities, and IBU, and so forth, then have fun brewing it. It sounds like it is going to be a fun ride. I have a kit with about 7 pounds of grain, and 6 pounds of extract. Is that too little of a grain bill to do a batch sparge, It is the Torpedo clone from AHB. It seems like a small amount, but is it worth even trying in the igloo?

Kegged:
Bottled: Gulf Oil Spill Stout, Breakfast Stout, Amarillo SMaSH, Orange Wit, RIPA Oak/Bourbon Aged, Barleywine, Apfelwein,

Old 09-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 130 Posts

With batch sparging, the size of the grain bill vs mash tun size is immaterial, because you re-mix the grain before draining. The depth of the grain bed does not matter.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 09-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #6
JOHN51277

Recipes 

Thank you for the reply David

Kegged:

Old 09-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #7
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

FWIW, Ijust did my first AG this past Sunday, and jsut like yourself I went straight from extract/specialty grain to AG. I have a 13 gallon Coleman Xtreme mash tun and a 15 gallon kettle. I was concerned about my efficiency just as you are, however, I figured I would just make a simple recipe and see where my numbers were and go from there. To my surprise I ended up with almost 81% efficiency on my first AG brewday! Needless to say, I was excited and pleasantly surprised! At any rate, don't overthink it (that's what I did). Just go into it with a plan, do your best and I think you will be amazed at how simple it can be and more than likely ask yourself just like I did, "why didn't I start with AG?".

If you're interested, here is a thread I started last week about it http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/ag-135456/, it lists my recipe, I didn't have a chance to take photos as my main concern was getting through my first AG brewday successfully.

Good Luck!

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 09-09-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
JOHN51277

Recipes 

Thanks for the encouragement! Im ready to do this. I just ordered 4 A/G kits!

Kegged:

Old 09-09-2009, 11:46 PM   #9
chefchris
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 4

**** John, 4 kits? Come up here this weekend and I'll show you how to brew like a man.

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 09-10-2009, 01:07 AM   #10
KayaBrew
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 93

I've got five AG's under my belt, and my advice is to not get too bogged down in the numbers. I got 80% on my first batch (I'm drinking some now, an APA), then I got sh*tty efficiency on two of the subsequent batches. Just concentrate on hitting your temps., and most importantly, try to enjoy the process. Work on your eff. as your process becomes smoother!

Quick Reply