Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Batch Sparging and mashing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012, 04:04 AM   #21
Espi
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I batch sparge... and get about 67% efficiency. People tend to get caught up in the numbers. I have got the same throughout my all grain brewing. I would rather be consistent and adjust my recipe. Just my 2 cents.

One thing I noticed is depending on your recirculate time you will lose a couple degrees. I add almost 180 degree water to get the grain bed up to 168.

When in darkness... when in doubt... run in circles... scream and shout!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #22
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4922 Times on 3569 Posts
Likes Given: 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar55667 View Post
I'm shooting for 168, but if I add 168 degree water to a bed of 153 the temp would theoretically drop significantly. Wouldn't I need to pour in 185-190 degree water to achieve the 168 I am shooting for?
Yep, that's it exactly!

How I figure the sparge water temp is sort of a work-around in Beersmith. If I'm batch sparging, I look at the "mash out" volume and temp. And I use that for my first sparge addition (it'll say something like "mashout with 9.5 quarts of water at 202 degrees). I stir well, and it almost always makes my grainbed 168. Then add the rest of the sparge water at 168-170 to keep the grainbed there. I hope that makes sense.

Since I have a larger MLT now, I just do one round of batch sparging. On Monday's brew, I got 75% efficiency- which is exactly the same I get when I fly sparge.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 09-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #23
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar55667 View Post
I got my grains from NB, I plan on getting a mill eventually. I would hope they have a decent efficiency.

After some more research it sounds like adding sparging water at 185 will be sufficient to get the desired 168 degree sparge temp. (I mean theres always ice if its too hot).

Should I split the batch sparge to 2.5 gallons and 2.5 gallons to improve efficiency or will this be too little?

I'm probably over thinking this for my first batch but I want to make sure it comes out good

I always got about 68% efficiency with NB's crush. Their mill is "locked" at something like 0.040".

You can split your batch sparge if you want, especially if volume is an issue. I used to, when I had a smaller MLT.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #24
Firebat138
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Yoop... where do you see this line

(it'll say something like "mashout with 9.5 quarts of water at 202 degrees).

Mine always says add 168 degree water...

Fermenting:
20 gal Galactic Black IPA, 10 gal Ypers Pale Ale,
10 gal Belgian WitX2, 10 Gal 2 Hearted Clone,10 gal Samhain Pumpkin, 10 gal Green Flash West Coast IPA
10 gal Coffee Stout,10 Gal Raging Beeatch, 10 Gal Hop Head IPA

Old 09-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #25
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebat138 View Post
Yoop... where do you see this line

(it'll say something like "mashout with 9.5 quarts of water at 202 degrees).

Mine always says add 168 degree water...
Switch it over to a profile that uses a mash out, set up for fly sparging. Then it'll have the "mashout" step in there.

But of course, don't fly sparge, just batch sparge with the volume of mash out water + fly sparge water.

I hope that makes sense!

Old 09-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #26
Firebat138
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 28

ah ha... got it... was trying to tell my buddy that we are pouring in water that is TOO LOW... :-)

Fermenting:
20 gal Galactic Black IPA, 10 gal Ypers Pale Ale,
10 gal Belgian WitX2, 10 Gal 2 Hearted Clone,10 gal Samhain Pumpkin, 10 gal Green Flash West Coast IPA
10 gal Coffee Stout,10 Gal Raging Beeatch, 10 Gal Hop Head IPA

Old 09-14-2012, 08:59 AM   #27
MrMista
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks for your posts Yooper. I did an all grain last week that was a few points too low. Next time I will use the fly sparge profile, great tip on adding mash out and sparge together and making the first sparges water temp higher.

Actually I am a bit confused. Are you saying that you should add the mashout and sparge volumes together and split that into your two additions. So if mash out was 2.5 gallons, and fly sparge was something like 3.5 gallons you would combine those into two 3 gallon additions, the first being at the mash out temp (202), and the second being at 168 to maintain the grainbed temperature? Or do you do the first 2.5 gallons at 202, and then add 3.5 gallons at 168?

Also do you drain the water from the mashtun after mashing (the very first mix of water and grain) before adding the mashout or sparge water? Or do you add it on top before doing the initial runoff? By the end of the day (if you split your sparge into two steps), should you have done 2 runoffs, or 3?

Old 09-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #28
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonex View Post
168 is what I shoot for. You don't want to sparge higher than 170f.
Not really. You can use boiling sparge water if you want to if your pH is in the right range.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 09-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #29
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMista View Post

Actually I am a bit confused. Are you saying that you should add the mashout and sparge volumes together and split that into your two additions. So if mash out was 2.5 gallons, and fly sparge was something like 3.5 gallons you would combine those into two 3 gallon additions, the first being at the mash out temp (202), and the second being at 168 to maintain the grainbed temperature? Or do you do the first 2.5 gallons at 202, and then add 3.5 gallons at 168?

Also do you drain the water from the mashtun after mashing (the very first mix of water and grain) before adding the mashout or sparge water? Or do you add it on top before doing the initial runoff? By the end of the day (if you split your sparge into two steps), should you have done 2 runoffs, or 3?
Man, you confused me by being confused.

You drain the water from the MLT. When you're batch sparging, you skip the mash out and add that amount of water to your sparging volume.

I only do one addition of batch sparging now, but when I had a smaller MLT I split it up evenly, with the first sparge addition hotter (the "mash out" temperature from Beersmith) and the second at 170 degrees. If you can fit it all into one addition, you can do that. A few people claim slightly better efficiency from doing two equal batch sparge rounds but I haven't found that to be true for me (and I know Denny will agree with me! )

When you drain the mash (first runnings), measure those runnings. If you have, say, 3 gallons, and you want your boil volume to be 6.5 gallons, you know you need 3.5 gallons for your sparge volume.

Oh, and speaking of Denny, check out his link in his signature. Denny wrote the book on batch sparging, and his site is very helpful. That was my main resource when I started batch sparging.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:05 PM   #30
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 332 Posts
Likes Given: 545

This seems to be getting WAAAYYYY too complicated. Here's what I do....mash with about a 1.5-1.75 qt./lb. ratio. At the end of the mash, drain into your kettle and measure how much wort you have. Subtract that from the boil volume you want. Heat that much water to 185-190F. Stir it well into the mash, vorlauf a bit and run it off into the kettle. That's all there is to it. Beersmith is a great tool, but it's NOT instructions about how to brew. Use it for what it is and don't let it boss you around! For more info on batch sparging, see www.dennybrew.com. I've done it for 426 batches and nearly 15 years. I wouldn't consider any other technique for sparging. I average 85% efficiency.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Quick Reply