Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Batch Sparging and mashing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
idigg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

If you batch sparge, when you add the sparge water, you don't need to wait 10 minutes. Just add the water, stir VERY well and you can run it off after a good vorlauf. If you have less wort, it will be more concentrated, you could add water to get to your volume which will correct your OG. If you have too much wort, you could always boil longer to get your volume, but would mess up hop utilization. It will take you a few batches to learn your equipment. Don't go into this first AG batch thinking it will go perfect, just take good notes and your 2nd and 3rd brew session will be even easier.

justin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2012, 03:25 AM   #12
BrewLou
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar55667 View Post
Thank you guys very much! A lot of good advice in this thread!

Another question:

What happens if when the boil is over and I have more or less than the desirable 5 gallons?

Cheers
7+ gallons preboil it is unlikely you will be under 5. From my experiences in AG (~1.5yrs so not long at all) but being a bit over is not a horrible issue. Just boil a little bit longer . You will be watching the boil for almost its entirety. If you notice it boiling like crazy and the volume is getting to low to early, dial your boil back. It doesnt have to be a wild and crazy boil. Just a nice gentle rolling boil will suffice. Very unlikely you will loose to much volume this way.

Know your #'s. Know your expected gravity and compare that to your actual OG once it is all at RT.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/brewhouse-efficiency/

This is a nice free site to check your efficiency.

Once you get your OG and FG readings...

http://www.rooftopbrew.net/abv_calculator.php

Another free easy to use site to calculate ABV.

These #'s can and will tell you a lot about your process and let you know what you can start looking at to improve.

Primary 1 & 2: Watermelon Wheat!
2ndary 1: Empty
2ndary 2: Empty
Bottled/Kegged: Saison & Pilsner

Old 09-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #13
rockstar55667
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Ive been reading that batch sparging can yield a lower efficiency; and that a way to improve this is a double batch sparge.

In my case I would mash for 60 mins with 3 gallons, drain then add 1.59 gallons @168 degrees stir and wait 10 mins, drain and add 3.59 gallons, stir and wait 10 mins, then drain again.

Has anyone tried this method?

Old 09-12-2012, 01:02 AM   #14
biestie
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar55667
Thank you guys very much! A lot of good advice in this thread!

Another question:

What happens if when the boil is over and I have more or less than the desirable 5 gallons?

Cheers
Don't worry about volume, you'll get that right as you dial in your system. Take a gravity reading. If your og is about what you estimated, leave it alone. If it's high, dilute. If it's low, you could try the dme route, but i wouldn't unless it's bad low. When i was dialing in my system, and every time i change something, i try and miss high at first and creep up on optimal, for that reason. If i miss just add water

Old 09-12-2012, 01:17 AM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4364 Times on 3173 Posts
Likes Given: 848

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar55667 View Post
Ive been reading that batch sparging can yield a lower efficiency; and that a way to improve this is a double batch sparge.

In my case I would mash for 60 mins with 3 gallons, drain then add 1.59 gallons @168 degrees stir and wait 10 mins, drain and add 3.59 gallons, stir and wait 10 mins, then drain again.

Has anyone tried this method?
That doesn't make any sense. With 1.59 gallons for the first round, you may not even cover the grains! At a temperature of 168, you'd be lucky to get above 156 in the grainbed.

Instead, since that's such a small volume, relatively, either add it together in one sparge, or split it evenly. Add the first round at 185 or so, to get the grainbed warmer.

Waiting for 10 minutes is a waste of time, x2.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:26 AM   #16
rockstar55667
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
That doesn't make any sense. With 1.59 gallons for the first round, you may not even cover the grains! At a temperature of 168, you'd be lucky to get above 156 in the grainbed.

Instead, since that's such a small volume, relatively, either add it together in one sparge, or split it evenly. Add the first round at 185 or so, to get the grainbed warmer.

Waiting for 10 minutes is a waste of time, x2.
Good to know! I'm glad I asked. I'll drain the mash into my bucket and use the kettle to heat up my sparge water. Then combine both in the kettle.

Beersmith says to use 168 degree water to sparge with. Should it be higher?

Old 09-12-2012, 01:44 AM   #17
sonex
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

168 is what I shoot for. You don't want to sparge higher than 170f.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:49 AM   #18
rockstar55667
Recipes 

I'm shooting for 168, but if I add 168 degree water to a bed of 153 the temp would theoretically drop significantly. Wouldn't I need to pour in 185-190 degree water to achieve the 168 I am shooting for?

Old 09-12-2012, 01:53 AM   #19
Xpertskir
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Since you are relying on your LHBS's crush expect low efficiency. You'll be lucky to get 65%(likely even lower depending on the crush) efficiency I would adjust your recipe accordingly.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:34 AM   #20
rockstar55667
Recipes 

I got my grains from NB, I plan on getting a mill eventually. I would hope they have a decent efficiency.

After some more research it sounds like adding sparging water at 185 will be sufficient to get the desired 168 degree sparge temp. (I mean theres always ice if its too hot).

Should I split the batch sparge to 2.5 gallons and 2.5 gallons to improve efficiency or will this be too little?

I'm probably over thinking this for my first batch but I want to make sure it comes out good

Quick Reply