Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Batch Sparging and mashing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
rockstar55667
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 7

Default Batch Sparging and mashing

I'm setting up to do my first all grain brew probably sometime next week. I've been an extract brewer for about 4 years on and off.

I made a mash tun out of a Coldman 48 QT cooler. I bought a 42 QT kettle and a wort chiller. Among other things I purchased were a mash paddle and a 6 gallon Better Bottle with a drilled bung.

I think I understand the mash and sparging steps, but I want to make sure.

First (using beersmith) I calculate my strike water temp. Then I pour the strike water into the mash tun. Then add the crushed grains and stir until there are no clumps. Take the temp (should be around 153 for my recipe) let it mash for 60 minutes.

After the 60 minutes are up, I drain it into the brew kettle (recirculating first until it is clear). Once it has been all drained out I add more hot water (between 170-180 degrees) the amount should be calculated by Beersmith. Then I stir the water and grains good. Let it sit for about 10 minutes, then drain into the kettle (recirculating the first few pints).

By this point I should have about 6.5 gallons in the kettle.

Does this sound right?

I'm doing Northern Brewer's American Amber Ale.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4263 Times on 3104 Posts
Likes Given: 812

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockstar55667 View Post
I'm setting up to do my first all grain brew probably sometime next week. I've been an extract brewer for about 4 years on and off.

I made a mash tun out of a Coldman 48 QT cooler. I bought a 42 QT kettle and a wort chiller. Among other things I purchased were a mash paddle and a 6 gallon Better Bottle with a drilled bung.

I think I understand the mash and sparging steps, but I want to make sure.

First (using beersmith) I calculate my strike water temp. Then I pour the strike water into the mash tun. Then add the crushed grains and stir until there are no clumps. Take the temp (should be around 153 for my recipe) let it mash for 60 minutes.

After the 60 minutes are up, I drain it into the brew kettle (recirculating first until it is clear). Once it has been all drained out I add more hot water (between 170-180 degrees) the amount should be calculated by Beersmith. Then I stir the water and grains good. Let it sit for about 10 minutes, then drain into the kettle (recirculating the first few pints).

By this point I should have about 6.5 gallons in the kettle.

Does this sound right?

I'm doing Northern Brewer's American Amber Ale.
Yes, that sounds about right.

Beersmith may or may not help you get your temps/volumes right. It's hard at first, because you have to set up your equipment profile correctly in order to have it exactly right.

But once you have your recipe in Beersmith set, if you want to post it up here, we can look at it and see if you've got any glaring errors with volumes/temperatures. You can go into Beersmith and "export as a text file" and then copy and paste it here and we can take a look.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
rockstar55667
Recipes 

Great thanks!!!

I also read that I should adjust my efficiency to about 72% on Beersmith because I am batch sparging, and its my first brew.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
BrewinHooligan
High Class Desert Trash
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1071 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 1151

I have a very similar setup and batch sparge. I average between 70-75% efficiency so I think you are safe to assume 72% for now. It will take a few brews to get everything dialed in. Best of luck and enjoy it!

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
- Winston Churchill

Old 09-05-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
kkimmes
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I am still a newbie but two batches ago I was right where you are. One thing that helped me a bit is to measure the total volume of wort you get when you drain the mashtun the first time.
I got a tip to have a stick for your brew pot with marks on it so you know exactly how much wort you get from your first running from the mashtun. You can heat more than you think you need for your batch sparge, but only add in the total gallons you will need to hit your pre-boil volumes.
For example, you heat your initial strike water to around 165*, you add to grain and hit your target 153*. You wait 60 minutes and drain the mash tun and get a total of 3 gallons of initial wort. If you want to have a pre-boil volume of 6.5 gallons, you will add 3.5 gallons to your mashtun for your sparge and you will drain 3.5 gallons out for a total of 6.5 gallons.
This will happen because the grain will not soak up any of the sparge water because it already soaked up all the water it wants to from the initial mash for 60 minutes.
Hope this helps and good luck.
Kevin

Old 09-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
rockstar55667
Recipes 

Thank you everyone for all the advice!!

Beersmith is telling me that I should have 7.37 gallons of est pre boil volume. That sounds high to me?

Its accounting for 1.13 gallons Boil off, cooling loss of .25 gallons, turb loss of 1 gallon in the boil and fermenting section (isnt that high?) and a cooling loss of 4%.

EDIT: I switched my equipment from 10 gallon cooler to 5 gallon cooler and its at 6.52 gallons now. BUT...I have a 12 gallon cooler, so thats inaccurate so I went in and adjusted the settings to 12 gallons. Does this sound right??

Here is the recipe:

Recipe: NB American Amber Ale TYPE: All Grain
Style: American Amber Ale
---RECIPE SPECIFICATIONS-----------------------------------------------
SRM: 9.9 SRM SRM RANGE: 11.0-18.0 SRM
IBU: 29.6 IBUs Tinseth IBU RANGE: 20.0-40.0 IBUs
OG: 1.050 SG OG RANGE: 1.045-1.056 SG
FG: 1.011 SG FG RANGE: 1.010-1.015 SG
BU:GU: 0.598 Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz Est ABV: 5.0 %
EE%: 72.00 % Batch: 5.00 gal Boil: 6.52 gal BT: 60 Mins

---WATER CHEMISTRY ADDITIONS----------------

Total Grain Weight: 9 lbs 8.0 oz Total Hops: 2.50 oz oz.
---MASH/STEEP PROCESS------MASH PH:5.40 ------
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD WATER CHEMICALS BEFORE GRAINS!!<<<<<<<
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
6 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 68.4 %
2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 21.1 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3 10.5 %

Name Description Step Temperatu Step Time
Mash In Add 11.88 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F 60 min

---SPARGE PROCESS---
>>>>>>>>>>-RECYCLE FIRST RUNNINGS & VERIFY GRAIN/MLT TEMPS: 72.0 F/72.0 F
>>>>>>>>>>-ADD BOIL CHEMICALS BEFORE FWH
Batch sparge with 3 steps (0.79gal, 2.62gal, 1.53gal) of 168.0 F water

---BOIL PROCESS-----------------------------
Est Pre_Boil Gravity: 1.044 SG Est OG: 1.050 SG
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 28.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 5 0.8 IBUs

---FERM PROCESS-----------------------------
Primary Start: 9/5/2012 - 4.00 Days at 67.0 F
Secondary Start: 9/9/2012 - 10.00 Days at 67.0 F
Style Carb Range: 2.30-2.80 Vols
Bottling Date: 9/19/2012 with 2.3 Volumes CO2:
---NOTES------------------------------------

Old 09-06-2012, 01:43 AM   #7
rohloffj
Recipes 

One last thing to note, although it may be small, is that your cooler is going to absorb some of the heat you put in for your strike water. I have a similar set-up and have found that the cooler is good for about 4*F. So, if I am shooting for 165* strike water, I will need 169* water into the cooler. Also, I use a blanket to insulate the cooler to help keep the correct temperature. Best of luck!

Old 09-06-2012, 02:27 AM   #8
billl
Recipes 

Liked 256 Times on 216 Posts

One thing stood out to me and that was when you wrote "stir until there are no lumps". IMO, that is WAY underestimating the stirring you should do to mash in. You want to stir, and stir some more, and then stir some more. When you think your are done, stir it some more. It's not just getting all of the grain wet. You want to keep it moving around until the temps are uniform throughout the tun. That can easily take 5+ minutes.

Re volumes: All of the "calculated" volumes are just estimates. You really won't know until you get a few brews under your belt and start to dial in your system. Take detailed notes about volumes, gravity etc at every step. The more data you can collected and plug into the calculators, the better the estimates will be for future batches.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:29 AM   #9
PBbrew2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As far as temps go, i always shoot on the high side and if i need to bring them down i just add a few cubes of ice to the mash to get the exact temp. Its much easier than trying to add boiling water if you undershoot. Dont ask me how i know this..........

Old 09-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #10
rockstar55667
Recipes 

Thank you guys very much! A lot of good advice in this thread!

Another question:

What happens if when the boil is over and I have more or less than the desirable 5 gallons?

Cheers

Quick Reply