Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Batch Sparging a Large Grain Bill

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2008, 03:31 PM   #11
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 968 Times on 647 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone
Bobby. So you are saying not to raise the first running temp to around 168, but instead - just collect the first running as is and then do two sparges of 2 gallons at 180? I am assuming that the two sparges at 180 will bring the grain bed temp up enough to maximize extraction.
Exactly. The intended result of a mashout is kinda erased due to the fact that you're adding fresh water to an already massively sugar saturated mash. You increase your efficiency substantially by getting all that sugar out prior to the fresh water rinse. It's great to raise the mash temp of course, but that's why the addition of hotter sparge water works. I go with 180F on each sparge but you could eek out a few more points by making the first one 185 and the second one 175, but that's a pain.

My first sparge get me to about 162F and the second up to 169ish.
Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2008, 04:03 PM   #12
tbone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks guys. I am planning on brewing tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:09 PM   #13
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You have already touched on this when you questioned the use of a small sparge volume, but that big a grain bill is going to probably lower your efficiency by a significant amount. With large grain bills and a fixed volume of wort and fixed boil time (say 5 gallons after 90 mins), the proportion of strike water to sparge water changes. Or, in other words, the amount of sparge water relative to strike water decreases as the grain bill increases.

There are two common ways to deal with this:

Sparge more and collect a larger volume of runnings, necessitating a longer boil to get down to 5 gals (say 2.5 hours instead of 1.5). But this may generate problems with 'caramelization', which could be an issue for some styles.

Accept that you will lose efficiency, and increase your grain bill to compensate. Then you can keep your wort volume and boil time the same as smaller gravity batches. The difficulty here is knowing how much efficiency you will lose. On my system, the difference in efficiency between a 1.055 batch and a 1.090 batch is about 8 - 10%, but I am sure that varies widely among breweries.

Hope that brew goes well! (I just did a SMALL grain bill batch -- an English mild ale -- and I had some opposite problems and I am still kicking myself for how I handled it all! Live and learn!).

Cheers!

Old 01-09-2008, 01:27 AM   #14
tbone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Flyguy I see what you are saying. I don't have any extra grain and thought about adjusting the hops to account for the lower expected gravity. However the recipe calls for continuous hopping - mixing all together and adding .2 oz every 5 minutes for the 90 min boil. Continuous hopping doesn't fit with Beersmith so I am left to guess. I think that I will go ahead and brew and see what happens. I love hops so if it is over-hopped I MAY enjoy it.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:32 AM   #15
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If that's the case, then I would just increase your pre-boil volume to accommodate a larger sparge volume, and then just boil down to your target volume. Just remember to time your hop additions correctly (i.e. countdown from the end of your boil -- hopefully you can predict how long it will take).

Best of luck!

Quick Reply