Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Batch sparging: getting off to an early boil

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #1
Judochop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Batch sparging: getting off to an early boil

A question I have for batch spargers.

Some of you talk about starting your boil right away with the first runoff. That makes sense to me. I presume this is really only to get a move-on with your brewday and doesn’t have any particular effects on the beer quality. Right?

Then you collect the second (or third) runoffs in a separate vessel. Naturally.

But how do you then transfer the remaining wort collections to the main cauldron? Just dump it in? Hot side aeration not a concern? Splashing hot wort on your face and chest not a concern?

I’m entering into my first batch sparging experience this weekend and I’m just curious to know how folks are doing it. I like to be prepared.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

Right
I just drain it directly.
HSA isn't a problem.
I use a hose connected to the tun.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-14-2010, 08:41 PM   #3
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

One vessel.

As soon as the 1st runnings are in the kettle, I light the fire. That starts heating up while I dump in sparge water, stir, let it rest for a few minutes, and then recirculate. I then transfer these runnings right into the kettle with the first runnings.

hot side aeration is a phantom, in my opinion.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
Judochop
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
HSA isn't a problem.
Cool. Two votes squashing HSA concerns across the board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
One vessel.

As soon as the 1st runnings are in the kettle, I light the fire. That starts heating up while I dump in sparge water, stir, let it rest for a few minutes, and then recirculate. I then transfer these runnings right into the kettle with the first runnings.
Transfer via vinyl tube which reaches down into the kettle? I guess I was just worried about it sitting down there on the bottom of my fired-up brew kettle getting melted. I suppose I could make sure it was suspended.

I imagine I won't do the early boil the first few times I brew anyway. I'll want to get a SG reading of the full pre-boil volume to figure out what efficiency I'm hitting.

Thanks.

Last edited by Judochop; 04-14-2010 at 09:10 PM.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:46 PM   #5
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If your vinyl hose is rated for high temps (I use silicon) just make sure it isn't resting on the bottom when you transfer.

Have fun!

Quick Reply