The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Batch Sparging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
fpweeks
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Batch Sparging

Ive been away from my hobby for a while, and am starting back in slow with some extract batches. When i brewed all grain years ago i fly sparged.

Im building a Igloo Cooler HLT and MLT and plan on batch sparging. I am looking to use a pump to sparge. After the first runnings, how do you guys sparge? IS it ok to just pump the sparge water in through the outlet, since you are mixing up the grain bed anyways?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 899 Times on 600 Posts
Likes Given: 26

That's always how I've done it.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 11-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
33cash
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I use the igloo cooler and after i drain my first runnings I just pour my sparge water in the top. Then I stir it up and let it sit 10 minutes. This may not be right but it's simple and I'm hitting about 70 % efficiency which is good enough for me.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
fpweeks
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Looking to avoid having to mess around with another penetration in the cooler.....

Old 11-02-2011, 11:18 PM   #5
33cash
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I guess i'm confused. What's wrong with opening the lid to sparge. Everything is getting boiled after so no infection? Mash is over so all your doing is basically rinsing the grains. I'm fairly new to all grain myself so (1 year) so if this is bad can someone explain.

Quick Reply