The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Batch Spargers: Mashout, Yea or Nay?

View Poll Results: Do you Mashout with your batch sparging?
Mashout, heck yeah! 24 37.50%
Holls no! 24 37.50%
Nader~ 16 25.00%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 06:42 PM   #21
brewt00l
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
Note: I'm a batch sparger and consider this infusion ONLY for raising the temp to promote sugar soluability. It has nothing to do with the traditional purpose of halting conversion.
That's exactly why I am wondering if I am typically getting additional conversion during my sparge...I raised my grain bed temp to 172, halting conversion @ 60 minutes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2007, 06:45 PM   #22
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewt00l
That's exactly why I am wondering if I am typically getting additional conversion during my sparge...I raised my grain bed temp to 172, halting conversion @ 60 minutes.
You wouldn't really expect it -- most of your conversion happens in the first 20 mins. But it is weird that you would suffer from a mash-out. Maybe it is just coincidence and something else changed in your process as well? Based on what you have said, you seem confident that it is not but you might wish to keep yourself open to the possibility. If you do figure it out, I would be very curious to hear what it was.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:55 PM   #23
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyGuy
You wouldn't really expect it -- most of your conversion happens in the first 20 mins. But it is weird that you would suffer from a mash-out. Maybe it is just coincidence and something else changed in your process as well? Based on what you have said, you seem confident that it is not but you might wish to keep yourself open to the possibility. If you do figure it out, I would be very curious to hear what it was.
That occurred to me, especially in light of the recent BYO article on shorter mash times & conversion. The biggest variable out of my current control is the crush...all the grain has been pre-milled from AHS. I have a nut brown on deck (premilled grain from AHS) that I will be brewing next weekend via my normal schedule so I will see what kinda numbers I hit. Course, that still wouldn't rule out issues on the two prior batch crushes....

I'm not militant about having to hit specific numbers but I do want consistency and it has been 'till the addition of the mashout. It's more a curiosity than anything. We shall see!

Old 10-29-2007, 07:00 PM   #24
Willie3

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

So let me get this straight. You mash out by bringing your kettle up to 170* and then you sparge?

I was thinking it might be the water. Maybe getting more than you need but if you aren't adding more water to the brew then I am lost. It sounds as if your variable in the crush might be the issue. Even if you get the grains from the same place, someone might crush slightly more fine than someone else. Dunno. Get a BarleyCrusher and you eliminate that issue.

Funny thing though, it will be interesting to see what you find out. Keep us posted.

- WW

Willie3

NJ HOPZ - North Jersey Homebrewers Organization of Praciticing Zymurgisits

FINAL GRAVITY PODCAST PERSONALITY

I brew therefor I am!

Old 10-29-2007, 07:46 PM   #25
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonwj
So let me get this straight. You mash out by bringing your kettle up to 170* and then you sparge?

I was thinking it might be the water. Maybe getting more than you need but if you aren't adding more water to the brew then I am lost. It sounds as if your variable in the crush might be the issue. Even if you get the grains from the same place, someone might crush slightly more fine than someone else. Dunno. Get a BarleyCrusher and you eliminate that issue.

Funny thing though, it will be interesting to see what you find out. Keep us posted.

- WW
yeah, that's what mashing out is:

What is Mashout?

Before the sweet wort is drained from the mash and the grain is rinsed (sparged) of the residual sugars, many brewers perform a mashout. Mashout is the term for raising the temperature of the mash to 170°F prior to lautering. This step stops all of the enzyme action (preserving your fermentable sugar profile) and makes the grainbed and wort more fluid. For most mashes with a ratio of 1.5-2 quarts of water per pound of grain, the mashout is not needed. The grainbed will be loose enough to flow well. For a thicker mash, or a mash composed of more than 25% of wheat or oats, a mashout may be needed to prevent a Set Mash/Stuck Sparge. This is when the grain bed plugs up and no liquid will flow through it. A mashout helps prevent this by making the sugars more fluid; like the difference between warm and cold honey. The mashout step can be done using external heat or by adding hot water according to the multi-rest infusion calculations. (See chapter 16.) A lot of homebrewers tend to skip the mashout step for most mashes with no consequences.
http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter17.html

Old 10-29-2007, 07:51 PM   #26
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 370 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Voted "Nader" because it depends. I fly sparge, but the sparge method is fairly irrelevant in a conversation about mashing out. If I'm brewing a light bodied beer, I won't mash out. If I'm brewing something with some body/feel, I'll mash out. In almost all cases, I'll sparge with 170-180 degree water to thin the mash and get the most out of it.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:04 PM   #27
brewt00l
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonwj
It sounds as if your variable in the crush might be the issue. Even if you get the grains from the same place, someone might crush slightly more fine than someone else. Dunno. Get a BarleyCrusher and you eliminate that issue.
That's on the horizon

Old 10-29-2007, 08:08 PM   #28
sause
Steel Comma Ale & Lagery
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I do not mash out. I have read somewhere that most probrewers don't either. They mash for about 20 mins and start to lauter. If the recipe is designed well enough you should need to mash out. I'm going to try the short mash method on one of my next brews and see if it makes a difference(will have some extra DME around just in case).

Quick Reply