Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Batch Spargers: Mashout, Yea or Nay?

View Poll Results: Do you Mashout with your batch sparging?
Mashout, heck yeah! 24 37.50%
Holls no! 24 37.50%
Nader~ 16 25.00%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2007, 03:15 PM   #11
PseudoChef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I mashed-out on my first 3 batches, but didn't on this last one. I did not see any change in efficiency, and still was around 77-78%.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2007, 03:15 PM   #12
bluechip101
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sorry guys, but I'm a noob. Can someone define "mashout"?

Old 10-29-2007, 03:23 PM   #13
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechip101
Sorry guys, but I'm a noob. Can someone define "mashout"?
It is an additional mash step used to raise the mash temperature from the normal range of 148-154*F to 168-170*F. This stops further enzyme conversion, preserving the fermentables. It is also thought to add a further degree of extraction for the grain as sugar is more soluble at higher temperatures.

You do not want to exceed 170*, though, as this will begin extraction of the tannins from the grain husks leading to bittering off-flavours.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:19 PM   #14
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 192 Times on 158 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PseudoChef
It is also thought to add a further degree of extraction for the grain as sugar is more soluble at higher temperatures.

You do not want to exceed 170*, though, as this will begin extraction of the tannins from the grain husks leading to bittering off-flavours.
Not thought to add, DOES add. Simple physics, no mystery about it. The warmer the water the more it sugar it can dissolve. Just try to dissolve a bunch of sugar in ice water. That's why a lot of cocktails call for simple syrup in the recipe. Simple syrup is just sucrose already dissolved in water for you.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:34 PM   #15
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba
Not thought to add, DOES add. Simple physics, no mystery about it. The warmer the water the more it sugar it can dissolve. Just try to dissolve a bunch of sugar in ice water. That's why a lot of cocktails call for simple syrup in the recipe. Simple syrup is just sucrose already dissolved in water for you.
Right, but wouldn't you just sparge with 170 degree water and get the same extraction as doing a mash out? I always sparge with 170-175F water when I skip mashout and when I do a mashout.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:50 PM   #16
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 32 Posts

If your already drained mash is at 150 and you add 170' sparge water, your mash will not be 170'. It probably won't even be over 160'. Check it next time. I've got a thermo installed in my MLT and I've seen this for myself.

Old 10-29-2007, 04:52 PM   #17
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I take the wort and boil about 4-5 gallons and return for my mash out, then recirc and drain to kettle. I then hit the MT with my sparge water, stir, and recirc till clear and dump in the kettle that is nearly boiling from the first wort. I also add about 15% of my wanted IBU's with the first wort, I really like the rounded bittering I have noticed. I won't say a mash out is necessary, but I hit 80% on efficiency since I went to a finer crush and mashing out. Haven't noticed any extra maltiness from doing a decoction type of mash out oh well, I still like it and will remain doing so for "my" higher extraction rates.

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 10-29-2007, 04:59 PM   #18
Ó Flannagáin
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Sparky
If your already drained mash is at 150 and you add 170' sparge water, your mash will not be 170'. It probably won't even be over 160'. Check it next time. I've got a thermo installed in my MLT and I've seen this for myself.
Hmm, interesting. I'm actually brewing after lunch today. I'm gonna try 180-185F water for sparging and see if that effects my efficiency. I'm doing a IIPA with 17.5lbs of grain for 5 gallons... it's gonna be a biiiiiig beer.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:07 PM   #19
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 32 Posts

Damn, brewing again already? It sounds like you've been able to brew very often lately. Are you stocking up for a blowout party this winter or something?

Old 10-29-2007, 05:12 PM   #20
Funkenjaeger

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ó Flannagáin
Right, but wouldn't you just sparge with 170 degree water and get the same extraction as doing a mash out? I always sparge with 170-175F water when I skip mashout and when I do a mashout.
I'm no expert, but it seems like if ALL of the wort (first runnings and sparge) is near 170F, it gives you a better chance of extraction than if only your sparge is near 170.

I've never bothered measuring the temp during sparge - I always just use 168F sparge water, and as Sparky points out, since the grains are at a lower temperature after the mash, the actual sparge temp will be lower than 168F. By raising the mash temp to near 170F for mashout, the hotter grains should also keep the sparge temp closer to 170 without requiring hotter sparge water.

Quick Reply