Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Batch Sparge Water Temperature Calculation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #21
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 127

WTF man. The other day, I had my mash at 152*F, and my sparge water at 175*F. So, I added 1.5gal "mash out" water (sort of) to my mash tun, stirred, rested for 5 mins, then took a temp reading - only to find 147*F!

Okay, fine, whatever, I drained my first runnings (which should leave behind a 147*F grain bed, amirite?), and poured in the remaining 3.5 gal of 175*F water (I re-checked the temp to be sure!). Stirred, closed lid for 5m to let the grain settle, then checked my temp - My sparge was even lower! 145*F!

Sparging is not my friend. No sir.

Chriso || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 11:19 PM   #22
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Fact is, its not crucial. I use equal parts strike and sparge water for my brews. I do not add any sparge water prior to first runoff. I then add sparge water in one big addition, stir, vorlauf, and run off slowly. All this time my kettle is heating and FWH are in.

This is how Denny does it and that's good enough for me!

There are no "rests" after I add sparge water, either. Just stirring, then vorlauf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 08-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #23
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 513

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopRodGR View Post
Denny, I just want to clarify what you are saying so I am sure I am understanding correctly. I understand the pH concept as it relates to decoction, though isn't the thickness of the decocted portion part of what keeps the pH low enough to nullify tannin extraction?

Building on that, assuming I treat my sparge water to keep the pH down (I use lactic acid currently), is there any reason to be concerned about topping that magic 170 degree number that gets thrown around?
I don't think the thickness of the decoction really matters. The pH of the whole mash is what counts.

As long as your pH is below 6, there should be no problem even using boiling water to sparge. At least, my own experience is that there is no problem.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 08-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #24
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopRodGR View Post
That's always been my understanding too. That's why I'm following up on this quote from him from post #13...

"The truth is that pH is what you need to worry about during the sparge, not water temp"
Which means "I assume you've checked your pH and it's good, so water temp should not be an issue".

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 08-23-2012, 04:12 PM   #25
Denny
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
Well, he means that if you dilute too much you can get tannins, yes...but by the same token he and Kai have proven that you can sparge with cooler water and that would eliminate all possibilities.
Keep in mind that my experience is based on batch sparging, where you almost never see pH rise during the sparge. It could be totally different for fly sparging.

www.dennybrew.com

Old 08-23-2012, 04:16 PM   #26
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Keep in mind that my experience is based on batch sparging, where you almost never see pH rise during the sparge. It could be totally different for fly sparging.
Well, guys that mash pretty thick and sparge really thin with a lot of water...they're pretty diluted but still probably not as much as the tail-end of a fly-sparge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Quick Reply