Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Batch Sparge Water Temperature Calculation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
HopRodGR
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Batch Sparge Water Temperature Calculation

Hi All,

I'm looking for the equation that calculates the temperature you should heat your batch sparge water to, based on the temperature of the soaked grain remaining after the first runnings are drained.

I'm currently attempting to put together an Excel spreadsheet that will give me a table of temperatures, since predicting what temperature the grain will be after draining the mash is difficult to predict. Having a range of values allows me to easily reference the right sparge water temperature to heat to.

My initial thought is calculating the weight of the grain, which would be the dry weight plus the weight of the water absorbed, against the weight of the sparge water, factoring in temperatures, would get me there. However, this doesn't take into account the density differences in a pile of wet grain vs. just water.

Here is my simple calc:

(Weight of wet grain/(Weight of grain + sparge water))*Grain Temp + (Weight of Sparge Water/(Weight of grain + sparge water))*Sparge Water Temp = Temperature of Batch Sparge.

Since the weight of water is 8.35lb/gal and the generally accepted absorption of grain is 0.13gal/lb, it should be easy enough to plug these values in.

Have I over-simplified and missed an important variable or this or does this look right?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
ChandlerBang
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The grain temp at mash out should be whatever your mash temp was. There are loads of calculators on the interwebs to do this. Hang on, I'll go find one.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
ChandlerBang
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 2

http://www.brew365.com/mash_sparge_water_calculator.php

Here's one. I use one on my phone (android).

Old 07-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

My formula looks like this, FWIW:

=(MashT1+0.192*(MashT1-GrainT)/StrikePerLb)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 07-04-2012, 01:10 AM   #5
HopRodGR
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I've found that when I drain my runnings, the remaining mash is almost never the same temp as the one I actually mashed at. Usually, it's lower, and when I heat my sparge water to the temp an online calculator calls for, I end up with a sparge temp that is too low, often in the low 160's. How to Brew has a mash in formula, but not one to account for grain that has absorbed water. With there being so many calculators online, I was looking to build my own model to give me a wide range if what I initially plug in for ending mash temp turns out to be wrong.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:21 AM   #6
tre9er
Recipes 

It truly doesn't make a big difference

Quote:
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!
craigger64 Likes This 
Old 08-20-2012, 11:37 PM   #7
oakbarn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Did you ever make your xls. I have not found a good formula for the mash in temp with a set volume

Old 08-20-2012, 11:40 PM   #8
tre9er
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakbarn
Did you ever make your xls. I have not found a good formula for the mash in temp with a set volume
I have an xls that I use for the entire recipe/process. I can share on drive if you wish

Quote:

Old 08-21-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 427 Times on 323 Posts
Likes Given: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre9er View Post
It truly doesn't make a big difference

This is the TRUTH! I heat my batch sparge water to 190F for every brew. Kai has shown that you can even slarge with room temp water with no effect on beer quality or efficiency. It just doesn't matter.

Life begins at 60....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

People Like This 
Old 08-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #10
HopRodGR
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
This is the TRUTH! I heat my batch sparge water to 190F for every brew. Kai has shown that you can even slarge with room temp water with no effect on beer quality or efficiency. It just doesn't matter.
That's really interesting, since as a newer homebrewer it is drilled into your head to get your sparge water as close as you can to 170 without going over, when it appears, that is really unnecessary. I generally like reading Kai's stuff so I'll have to dig up his write up on this too.

Quick Reply