Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Batch sparge vs. Single sparge?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
sideshow_ben
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Batch sparge vs. Single sparge?

I looked through this forum and didn't find (easily) any comments on the merits of a batch sparge vs. a single one, by which I mean:

1. Batch sparge: Mash normally, mash out, drain out the liquid, add more hot water, stir, drain out, and repeat if necessary a few times if the MLT is small.

2. Single sparge: Mash out normally, add all the hot water needed to make up the total wort volume, drain out.

If I stir well enough and have MLT that is large enough, does a single sparge as described above have any great disadvantages to batch sparge with only two drainings?

Thanks!!!

-ben

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
IamNash
Recipes 

My understanding is that during the batch sparge process you are just "rinsing" sugars that are already converted out of the crushed grains, so I don't think it really matters as long you stir the big sparge well.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
stevo155
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The way I read it is #2 is batch sparging. Mash, drain, add water, and drain. Doing multiple adds/drains would be double-batch sparge, etc.

There is also a no batch sparge where you just use the first runnings but that's a waste of grain in my opinion.

Sparging, be it fly or batch, is rinsing the converted sugars from the grains. I always stir after adding my sparge water, vorlauf, and drain once. I may go a second time if I miscalculated and didn't end up with the correct amount of preboil wort.

BN Army for Life!!!

Old 11-18-2010, 08:43 PM   #4
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

It's not necessary to do multiple batch sparges, but I usually do.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:43 PM   #5
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

Here are some differences:

The batch sparge will get you more efficiency from the grain. Not sure how much more but I expect at least 5% more.

What you call single sparge is really like "no sparge". No sparge is not real popular but it's totally acceptable. Like I said you can expect lower efficiency. Most people don't have a big enough MLT to fit all that grain and water in one go. Some say that no sparge produces a higher quality wort.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:48 PM   #6
rjwhite41
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

No sparge definitely lowers your efficiency. I believe from some graph I've seen (maybe someone else can help out here) it is in the neighborhood of 10%. I've done a no sparge before and I wouldn't say it produces a higher quality wort, just a lower gravity one.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:50 PM   #7
devilishprune
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Maida7 is right on on the descriptions. You have detailed a batch sparge and a no sparge. Batch sparge is not doing several sparges in a "batch"; it's adding your sparge water at one time in a batch.

I've referenced this website several times today, but that's just because it's great.

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Batch_Sparging_Analysis#Effect_of_the_grist_size_. 28weight.29

For the grist sizes that we're concerned with, you lose about 8% efficiency according to Kai's graphs.

No sparge is definitely easier, and I have considered it in the past, but there is definitely an efficiency hit that you have to take as well.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:55 PM   #8
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 936 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 28

From braukaiser.com

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 11-19-2010, 01:00 AM   #9
Scooby_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 21

OK, correct me if I'm wrong:

No-Sparge: mashing without sparging or "rinsing", so your first runnings are all your pre-boil wort. For example, Brew-In-A-Bag. Or, let's say I use 8 gal of water for the mash all at once, so I get 6 gallons out for pre-boil. No sparge = no rinsing grains.

Batch sparge: remove your first runnings, pour sparge water in, stir the hell out of it, let the sparge water (now wort) out. You can batch sparge once, or divide it to 2 or more "step-sparges".

Fly-Sparge = continuous sparge. You add the new water continuously from the top while removing your wort from the bottom.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #10
TeoHC
Recipes 

Correct! In fact, you should add more grains using batch sparge method and even more skipping the sparge to compensate efficiency loss.

Quick Reply