Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > batch sparge volumes?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2007, 11:27 PM   #1
killian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default batch sparge volumes?

I never considered batch sparging until the other day so I dont know much about the process, can some one help?
Im thinking of batch sparging a 10 gallon batch the grain bill Im planing is 24lbs so I am wondering what volume of water I should use for each batch.
I will need to collect 12 gallons for the boil. Will I need to factor in 1.2 gallons of water to be absorbed ?
Is this possible with a 10 gallon mash tun?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2007, 12:24 AM   #2
seanhagerty
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

You should be able to mash it in your 10 gallon cooler, with 24 pounds of grain and 1.25 mash ratio you should need about 9.5 gallons of cooler volume.

As far as water goes, you will need a total of 15.6 gallons, assuming you lose a half gallon to each of the mash tun and the boil kettle/chiller.

Mash in with 6 gallons
Mash out with 3.25 gallons
Sparge with 6.35 gallons

This should give you about 12.7 gallons in the boil kettle.

Have fun with that

Sean

Studies show that three out of four people make up 75% of the worlds population.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:02 AM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

I would drain the first run, then do two sparges of 4-5 gallons.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-30-2007, 03:04 AM   #4
RichBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by killian
I never considered batch sparging until the other day so I dont know much about the process, can some one help?
Im thinking of batch sparging a 10 gallon batch the grain bill Im planing is 24lbs so I am wondering what volume of water I should use for each batch.
I will need to collect 12 gallons for the boil. Will I need to factor in 1.2 gallons of water to be absorbed ?
Is this possible with a 10 gallon mash tun?
What gravity are you shooting for? 12 gallons for the boil will not get you very good efficiency with 24 pounds of grain but if you are looking at a lower gravity beer you will be fine.

I've always calculated .1 gallon of water absorbed for each pound of grain so you are looking at almost 2 1/2 gallons absorbed by the grains.

Cheers,
Rich

Old 05-30-2007, 03:23 AM   #5
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanhagerty
Mash in with 6 gallons
Mash out with 3.25 gallons
Sparge with 6.35 gallons

This should give you about 12.7 gallons in the boil kettle.
By my calcs, this won't fit in your 10-gal MLT...6 gallons H2O + 24 lb grain needs ~8 gallons of space, so there's no room for 3.25 gal of mashout H2O.

One option might be to:
- mash with 1.1 qt/lb, skip the mashout, drain the MLT
- do a 4-gal batch sparge
- do another 4-gal batch sparge

If your absorption is 0.1gal/lb, this gives you 4.2 + 4.0 +4.0 = 12.2 gal in your brewpot. As others have said, you might want to sparge more for better efficiency; could probbly go with a mash of 1.25 qt/lb (will be tight) and then maybe 5 gal for each sparge.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:43 AM   #6
seanhagerty
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike N Brew
By my calcs, this won't fit in your 10-gal MLT...6 gallons H2O + 24 lb grain needs ~8 gallons of space, so there's no room for 3.25 gal of mashout H2O.

One option might be to:
- mash with 1.1 qt/lb, skip the mashout, drain the MLT
- do a 4-gal batch sparge
- do another 4-gal batch sparge

If your absorption is 0.1gal/lb, this gives you 4.2 + 4.0 +4.0 = 12.2 gal in your brewpot. As others have said, you might want to sparge more for better efficiency; could probbly go with a mash of 1.25 qt/lb (will be tight) and then maybe 5 gal for each sparge.
DOH!!

Good catch, I forgot about figuring mash out in the volume, thanks for seeing that.

Studies show that three out of four people make up 75% of the worlds population.

Old 05-30-2007, 07:01 PM   #7
killian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just downloaded qbrew, it is giving me a recipe gravity of 1.067 is this with 100% efficiency or something? I am looking for a gravity right around 1.067. should I add more base malt to compensate for possible efficiency loss? I dont know what my efficiency is or should I say has been. I havent calculated it with any of my brews yet.

My maximum boil volume is 13.5 gallons, should I mash with a stiff mash 1qt per lb giving me 6 gallons in my first mash (2.4 gallons lost to grain absorption) collecting about 3.5 gallons, then 2 batch sparges of 5.5-6 gallons?

I am thinking of brewing 2 10 gallon batches at the same time my 1 boil kettles will hold 13.5 gallons the other 15.5. I am looking to ferment about 22 gallons.

Quick Reply